It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Queen Cleopatra & Mark Antony Tombs Possibly Discovered.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/24226f587c94.jpg[/atsimg]
Photograph Courtesy of Discovery.com

A headless granite statue of a Ptolemaic king has emerged from the ruins of an ancient Egyptian limestone temple believed be the burial site of Queen Cleopatra and her lover Mark Antony.

According to a statement issued on Tuesday by the Supreme Council of Antiquities, the sculpture was unearthed at Taposiris Magna, a site some 30 miles from the port city of Alexandria, by an Egyptian-Dominican team searching for the tomb of the doomed lovers.

More than 2,000 years old, the statue represents the traditional shape of an ancient Egyptian pharaoh wearing collar and kilt.

“Even though the head is missing, this is one of the most beautiful statues from the Ptolemaic period. I think it portrays Ptolemy IV, the pharaoh who constructed temple,” Dr. Zahi Hawass, chief of Egypt's Supreme Council of Antiquities, told Discovery News.

The entrance of the building, which was dedicated to Osiris, the Egyptian god of the underworld, was made up of a series of limestone foundation stones. One of the stones showed traces that a sphinx statue once stood upon it.

While excavating the site --a radar survey of the temple has identified three spots where a burial chamber might lie deep underground -- the archaeologists have unearthed several significant artifacts. These include a number of headless royal statues, which may have been subjected to destruction during the Byzantine and Christian eras, a collection of heads featuring Queen Cleopatra, and 24 metal coins bearing Cleopatra’s profile.

Follow this link for the rest of the article:

SOURCE: news.discovery.com...

-Building dedicated to Osiris
-Evidence of another Sphinx
-Burial chambers likely belonging to Cleopatra and mark Antony

This is an awesome discovery and could turn out to be one of the most historically significant finds since the discover of King Tut's tomb. I will be looking forward to the release of additional information. Anyone here on ATS that is knowledgeable in Egyptology have any additional information? If so, please share.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by Aggie Man]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

I hope this pans out to be the tomb of Cleopatra and Marc Antony. What a great find if it is. Thank you for posting this, and I look forward to updates.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I love it thank you. Even if it is not theirs, it is a great find and I hope it is them as well. Not that I trust Hawass just in case, but wouldn't that be great if it was them.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Here is a video from Fox News discussing the find.

Enjoy!

video.foxnews.com...

new topics

top topics

join