It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP to try unprecedented engineering feat to stop spill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   

www.cnn.com

If successful, they say, the "pollution containment chamber" could reduce the underwater gusher by more than 80 percent and provide the first success in industry and government efforts to control the spill that began April 20 with an explosion and fire on an offshore rig.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
This is like something out of the movie contact. A massive welding job to create q cap for the spill....

Will it work? Who knows, but it's pretty awesome to see such abilities of humans to come up with such a plan.

The bp guy in the interview seemed a bit skeptical of this specific attempt, but looks like we have to wait till tomorrow or the next day before it's ready to go.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
It looks doable. If they can get the structure into the proper place over the leak. I wish them the best of luck.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I don't know the weight of this thing, but they'll be battling sea currents, wave motion, absolutely zero visibility, a collapsed rig next to the well, to drop this thing onto a 5-ft perfect area in order to stem this thing.
If that fails, then its back to square one.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by ROBL240
I don't know the weight of this thing, but they'll be battling sea currents, wave motion, absolutely zero visibility, a collapsed rig next to the well, to drop this thing onto a 5-ft perfect area in order to stem this thing.
If that fails, then its back to square one.

It's basically a 'steel condom'. It weighs approximately 125 tons. Give or take.

The other option is to place another rig there to tap the reserve to stop, or mitigate the leak. They are beginning this process as well. I believe they already have another rig on site, but it will take at least 3 to 6 months to implement, and get it up and running.

They are also using surfactants; injecting it into the rising oil column. This causes the oil to oxidize in the sea water. It turns into a hard tar, that settles. This is a slow process however, and how well it actually mitigates this disaster is questionable.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Dang it, about a week ago someone somewhere suggested using a large dome with a pipe connected be placed over the leaking area. They explained it like a big vacuum hose with a bell head. Like the ones used on the commercials picking up a bowling ball.

I will try to find it. I do not remember what site I saw this at.

I wonder if it was someone on the net that came up with the idea or someone just overheard a discussion on it?

Frelling cool idea though. It might have been at godlikeproductions.com.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
This video explains, towards the middle of the video how exactly this works
Starting at 2:10

They want some of the oil?/?
Why not just cement it?

Why a bandaid solution when they know it is one?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I still find it hard to believe with all the safety mechanism inlace to prevent these things and all of them failing..this should be top priority.....everything else should be put on hold until this is fixed contained and cleaned up...but I doubt that will be the case

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by redhorse

They are also using surfactants; injecting it into the rising oil column. This causes the oil to oxidize in the sea water. It turns into a hard tar, that settles. This is a slow process however, and how well it actually mitigates this disaster is questionable.

Indeed, this seems like a convenient way to mask it. Let the next generation deal with the repercussions

CX

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe

Dang it, about a week ago someone somewhere suggested using a large dome with a pipe connected be placed over the leaking area. They explained it like a big vacuum hose with a bell head. Like the ones used on the commercials picking up a bowling ball.

I will try to find it. I do not remember what site I saw this at.

I wonder if it was someone on the net that came up with the idea or someone just overheard a discussion on it?

Frelling cool idea though. It might have been at godlikeproductions.com.

Our very own member Common Good i believe.....

Picture a cone(A big ass cone) with a hose(big ass hose) attatched to the top of it. It will automatically keep the oil from getting to anymore of the water, and we could probably salvage a lot of it in the process.

Thread here....Common Good's suggestion was on page one...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

CX.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   

And I heard someone say we should just go around the world desperate and accept aid from Iran. One thing is for sure. When someone f***s stuff up in America, at least we fix it fast.

CX

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Just to add, what a shame they say it's already been done in shallow water.....if this was an original idea, Common Good may have been high fived by half the planet!

CX.

[edit on 4/5/10 by CX]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t
reply to post by redhorse

Indeed, this seems like a convenient way to mask it. Let the next generation deal with the repercussions

It does rather. That is indeed a probability.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Is this anything like BP just trying an unprecedented engineering feat drilling underneath 5000ft of ocean to an unprecedented depth in the earth? Oh yeah, I have all the faith in the world in them...

This unprecedented feat sounds like playing the game "Operation" blindfolded...actually no, it's worse than that. "Good" ideas don't always work, but I'm hoping for the best.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
And I heard someone say we should just go around the world desperate and accept aid from Iran. One thing is for sure. When someone f***s stuff up in America, at least we fix it fast.

Do you really believe in what you are blindly saying or are you just playing politics?

Why not accept help from Iran? Because Iran is Iran?
Are you an isolationist?

When america messes things up they fix it fast?
Really......... like what?
Examples please!!!!!

It took how many years for the SEC to do anything about Goldman Sachs?
Even Putin said Madoff got a light sentence, and his sentence took too long too.
Fast?
LOL

Economic crisis, fix it fast or fix it stupid?
Print more money out of thin air... fix it stupid?

War!
Fix it stupid = Increase number of enemies and bankrupt the U.S. in the process

I can go on and on and on and on and on and on and on...........

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

World's better than it was pretty much since Obama's been in office. That's not saying much, but still. I still hate him, but still. No new wars and not much problems.

Also, Iran is currently having a hissy fit and going nuts, being aggressive to neighbors and the US and the UN. They are not fit.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Pictures?

Live news feed of this historic ecological disaster that will destroy all life on the planet if we don't do something now?

One would imagine that such an epic scale disaster, the end of the planet no less, would be carried live 24 hours a day.

We have to do something now! Disaster! Too big to fail!

Scam.

top topics

join