It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could the oil spill intensify the hurricane season?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
It occurred to me that the hurricane season is approaching and the oil spill in the gulf of Mexico could possibly intensify the hurricanes by maintaining warmer water temperatures due to the dark color and viscosity. I'm wondering if this hypothesis holds any merit?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by robwerden

Warm water does = hurricane.
2nd

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I live in Florida.

I will let you know when crude oil rains from the sky.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   

I believe it does. We know for sure temperature and salinity and gravity/pressure play a major role in oceans and weather.

This could very well make the hurricanes and weather much worse in the general region.

I've got to admit though. This thread conjured images in my mind of Hurricanes made of oil on fire.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   

you know who you should ask for a real answer... and he's a member here...
dr dodge
He's a pressure meteorologist.
the petro companies are his customers... that man would know!!!

Like you I would think so... reduced reflectivity in that water should help heat the water... but I'm no expert

[edit on 4-5-2010 by DaddyBare]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Good question or maybe it might keep one from forming? Goes along with Volcanoes cooling the earth. No one mentions that when talking about the iceland volcanoes. Everyone thinks of the bad rather than what good might become of a situation.

Maybe the oil will cause a boom in fish. It might kill off some plant that fish eat releasing it into the ocean which in turn might provide an impetus for more fish.

Who knows what MIGHT happen.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I was wondering the same thing earlier. Dr. Jeff Masters is supposed to be touching on this very subject in his blog later this week. If anything relevant comes up, I'll be sure to post it here.

I could see the heat aspect coming into play, but at the same time wonder how easily the hurricane would even be able to make it if the vapor that normally would go in the updraft is of a different makeup.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I would think the density of the oil would make it harder for the water to get into the atmosphere through evaporation, but there are so many factors that affect massive weather systems that it would take a highly knowledgeable expert to even give a somewhat accurate hypothesis. I'm sure there will be some type of effect, if small subtle changes can effect weather on a large scale then a major change could be catastrophic. This could turn out to be a good learning opportunity for humanity. First of all for preventing future accidents, but secondly, to see how mother nature deals with the shock herself. I think we under-estimate the planets ability to cleanse itself, we just view things on a smaller time scale than she does. George Carlin used to say something along the lines of "The Earth will be here a long long time, if anything, we're the ones that are going away".

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Would the electricity in the tornado generated set the oil on fire? Possible put the sky on fire? This was foretold in agent scriptures(I think). When the earth is cracking on its fold-lines Maybe then the oil can also reach the surface,witch would then be picked up by a tornado. And then put the sky on fire..

That part with the earth cracking, came in my head while commenting here.
Maybe we should investigate the past for this, maybe it has happened before
Just saying haha

[edit on 4-5-2010 by MrOrange82]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
This is totally off topic but im calling out to all that live in areas around louisiana, possibly further afield.

My dream,
Please all of you, start storing water any way you can. Yeah i know sounds totally stupid but the dream i had, if you had the same you wouldnt think so.
Water was contaminated but cant remember what by.
Please dont just ignore this.
The water was bitter or acidic i cant mind. But please pass this message on.

Or delete the choice is yours.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrOrange82
Would the electricity in the tornado generated set the oil on fire?

Well this is what I have wondered myself. Do you remember the pictures from the Iceland volcano? Where the ash was causing lightning? I assume this is by electrostatic discharge (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong please)

Would the oil and the water and the friction of their movement against the air generate a static charge?

And would such a charge ignite the oil, and could it indeed stay on fire as part of a hurricane?

I've seen fire storms here in Australia but never one that involved oil.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Could the oil spill intensify the hurricane season?...not sure

Could the hurricane season intensify the oil spill?...yes, definitely

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
In regards to the oil spill in the gulf, what is it with that area? First, Katrina, now this, and specially the media (what a joke anyway) being blacked out, and all the military people down there, what is really going on they don't want us to know about. I read an article a few minutes ago where a radio station in New Orleans was saying the spill was not that bad and going to be cleaned up. Do we really know what is going on there?

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by lolamae

I live in the NOLA suburbs and I don't even know what's going on????

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
get ur buckets ready to collect the free oil from the sky.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82
I was wondering the same thing earlier. Dr. Jeff Masters is supposed to be touching on this very subject in his blog later this week. If anything relevant comes up, I'll be sure to post it here.

was there anything interesting in the doctor's blog?

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by mike_trivisonno
I live in Florida.

I will let you know when crude oil rains from the sky.

I live in Miami, and i would hate to see my city covered in Oil.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I started looking into this as well, it will have the same effect as a liquid pool cover.
The oil will lay on top trapping heat and building better conditions for more intense storms.
Also, where is the oil going to end up?
Please see the thread attached, it shows travel and time, and also hurricanes will bring rain as well lifting and dumping it inland by thousands of miles.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

join