It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US school for disabled forces students to wear packs that deliver massive electric shocks

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
JRC responds:

JRC is the only program willing to address the reality of these children’s disorders and endure the political firestorm in order to save these children and give them an education and a future.

www.judgerc.org...

If you read their rebuttal, they are basically praising themselves for doing what they are doing and are considering the past lives of these mental patients as torture and their current behavioral modified lifestyle.

They even say this:

The Van Oorsouw, et al. article (2007) (see Appendix
A, item 1) concludes that there are no negative side effects to JRC’s use of skin-shock, but there are many positive side effects, such as increased socially appropriate behaviors and responsiveness, and increases in behaviors indicating a positive affective state such as smiling
and singing or talking. It would be torture to not treat these students and allow them to be chemically restrained and warehoused for the rest of their lives.

Toughts?

Yeah my thoughts are what the hell!!

Are we training dogs here or what.

This is disgusting and I'm seriously angered by this. Treating humans like animals for whatever reason is beyond cruel.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I don't like the use of this on the disabled... but for normal school kids, hell yeah. the next question is, do the teachers have the intelligence to know who to zap? they don't seem to be smart enough to pick out bullying students, so...

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Disgusting. People with disabilities do not need this type of treatment. They need therapy and someone who is willing to work with them to discover the underlying issues that have gotten them to this point.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Disgusting...the UN or International Court for Human Rights should take notice of this and take action against such scumbags.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
No worse than shock collars on dogs to teach them not to bark. Its that or full frontal lobotomy. They have to learn to behave somehow.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by rothmans

I think bigotry could be treated effectively with electro shock therapy.. at least it would make a world a more peaceful place.

except for the bigots of course.

btw. They would not learn how to "behave" that way. They would just get traumatised which would make their symptoms worse. They are also human beings with the same rights to not be abused as anyone else.

[edit on 6-5-2010 by riley]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Lots of comments by people who are not experts and people who have no personal experience with the topic. It's easy to make emotional comments to something you read on the web, but don't be so naive to think this article is an objective representation of what's going on. You wouldn't take anything on TV at face value, would you? It's no different here. Take some time to educate yourself before you pass judgment one way or the other. The mom, Elizabeth Allen, is right about a lot of what she said. The vast majority of individuals with developmental disabilities and behavior problems at this center would be in chemical restraint in an institution if they were not there. Chemical restraint means you are on so many drugs that you can do anything violent, even if you want to. You don't see a bunch of articles on the internet about this, but this is still the norm for TENS OF THOUSANDS of people with mental retardation today across the country today. I'm not saying shock is better, I'm just saying it's a complicated issue and there really isn't any simple answer out there as to how to deal with these behaviors. Emotional outbursts don't help solve the problem.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by rothmans
Lots of comments by people who are not experts and people who have no personal experience with the topic.

If you bothered to actually READ the comments you'd see there ARE experts posting.

It's easy to make emotional comments to something you read on the web, but don't be so naive to think this article is an objective representation of what's going on.

It's easy to make bigoted comments but at least ours are based on reality rather than misconceptions.

It is legally WRONG to torchure people.. the term people INCLUDES the disabled.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Well then I guess they will just have to keep them locked up in a rubber room so they dont hurt themselves or others.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   

They do not need rubber rooms.. few people do and usually when they are used it's in extreme cases where people are suicidal or homicidal. The only people who seemed to have behavioural problems in this story are the staff.

Imprisoning people against their will just for not being "normal" is illegal and immoral as well. You seem to have alot of bigoted ideas of what these people are like and so think abusing them is okay. Those who actually know what they are talking about know better. These "methods" could only make people worse. How could someone ever fall sleep with one of these devices attached to them? How would depriving them of food help them better behave? It wouldn't.

Some used to believe treating africans like crap was okay. This is no different. When the nazis started gassing people the disabled were first on the line. Then it was gay people.

I say start with the bigots giving them their option to change.. I guarentee their bigotry would stop before being rounded up.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Many think the normal people should be persecuted for a difference of opinion for they are really the ones who have no human rights anymore.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

S & F to you for bringing what sounds like 21st century barbarism to light.

Good investigative reporting.

International courts need not be brought into this. We SHOULD be able to handles issues like that in U.S. courts.

[edit on 5/6/2010 by centurion1211]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by rothmans
Many think the normal people should be persecuted for a difference of opinion for they are really the ones who have no human rights anymore.

Yeah right. Your kind of "differing opinion" has raught a huge amount of evil on the world. You share the same opinions as the (flesh burning) criminals who commited these actions.. I wonder if you would do the same in their place.

The upside is they will find out what it is like to have someone else in contol of their lives in prison.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Lots of comments by people who are not experts and people who have no personal experience with the topic. It's easy to make emotional comments to something you read on the web, but don't be so naive to think this article is an objective representation of what's going on.

I do have first hand and personal experience ,13 years of it! Not to mention years of psychiatric nursing. What is your experience?

No, it is easier to look at this as "a bother" and hope that the disabled would just "go away". Complacency, is exactly what allows this school with a bunch of "shock jocks" to continue. This does happen, and a lot worse.

I agree with your comment of "it's complicated" Yes, very! However, I am 100% sure that the answer does not lie in torturing children who can not help the way they are. Innocent lives are being destroyed.

I watch every day as my child suffers wanting nothing more than to be "normal", have friends, and just be accepted!

These children are real people, with real feelings. They have hopes and desires, just like the rest of us. They have a lot love to give and receive.

Based on you posts, I would bet my son has more hope and love in his heart
at this very moment, than you will ever experience in your lifetime!

To remove yourself emotionally as to view this article with objectivity, is one thing. To remove yourself to the point that you feel zero compassion for what is happening to these young disabled children is another.

I believe you have a job in the U.S. Federal Government that awaits you!

Congrats!

Pax

P.S. It is emotional when it is YOUR child being treated like a barn animal!

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
That is not cool. I used to work with mentally handicapped or mentally impared young adults.....and they are good people in need of some major help that they can not provide for themselves...

I've seen cases in which restraint is needed because some of these people can get VERY violent......but for the most part.....If you are a nice person and a good people person, they respond well to it and you may have to be tollorent at first but they will eventually like you better and listen better for it...

What happens is there are not a TON of people who WANT to work with these people out of pure love....I wasn't at the time, I just needed a job, but it ended up being a good experience for me to learn about people more...

But a lot of times people are not good people persons ( if that makes sense ) and they just can't handle them and are not good at their job so they abuse their physical and mental power over these students....

I hope something comes of this.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join