It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US school for disabled forces students to wear packs that deliver massive electric shocks

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
If you search "Judge Rotenberg Center" numerous hits will alert to the fact that the DOJ has (finally) opened a "routine" investigation into civil rights violations after many multiple disability organizations filed complaints that the private center violated title 3 of the ADA.

Here is the PDF...

DOJ civil rights division

Looks bad. Outrageous.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
You will find america and uk have long history of torturing people like this.

Whether this is true or not, just look up the confirmed mkultra thing, and its alot worse than what you think.

Just that the people cannot speak out, and society loves to torture people. Nice people we have here on this board too.

Say if you where being tortured for what others did, would you all be cracking these jokes, these things are serious.

Criminals everywhere and it makes me laugh that gordon brown has probably organised torture of people, and he is trying to get peoples votes, saying we want to get peoples talent out. What a liar and scum. These people just are so two faced.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
This DEEPLY disturbs me since I worked with children in a Multi-VE setting at an Elementary school for a few years. The majority of the kids I worked with didn't speak and were mostly autistic but that doesn't mean they don't understand what you are telling them. I loved all those kids as if they were my own and usually those kids need more love and attention because they don't get it at home. I never once had to raise my voice or anything to get their attention. It's all in how you treat them and respond to their own individual needs. I had one girl, Diana, she was about 5 at the time and she didn't speak she just hummed and moved her head back and forth. She literally reminded me of a porceline doll. She understood everything we told her to do and if she wanted something she told us in her own way and we understood it. Too many times people don't want to work with these kids to find out their needs and the way they communicate which is really sad. They are human beings! There is no need to hurt them to get them to respond if anything it will traumatize them more and they will act out more. This is wrong and the people in charge of this school should be jailed!

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   

rawstory.com...

A former employee of the center told an investigator, "When you start working there, they show you this video which says the shock is 'like a bee sting' and that it does not really hurt the kids. One kid, you could smell the flesh burning, he had so many shocks. These kids are under constant fear, 24/7. They sleep with them on, eat with them on. It made me sick and I could not sleep. I prayed to God someone would help these kids."

I wonder if it was her? Anyway thank god for whistle blowers. Without them stuff like this would never come to light.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Casandra
Where are the parents? Don't they notice the wounds?

Sadly in most cases the parents don't care. I saw it a lot with the kids I worked with. The parents didn't seem to care in the least bit what was going on with their child. To some of these parents it was like their child was a burden because it was born with disabilities. It made me so mad to see it but it happens. Not all the parents were like this but most were.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
My own precious 15 year old son is disabled and in a facility. If I ever found out that they were even thinking of some horrific insanity like what we see here, I would remove him so fast their sadistic heads would spin.

What a sick bunch of freaks that could imagine that this is therapeutic...it is torture plain and simple. Kids with mental disorders sometimes act out and they CANNOT HELP IT and to punish someone who cannot help themselves is the height of crruelty.

In my opinion, this practice should be halted, the people charged for what they have already done, and never alowed to be around kids again. these doctors and others there represent a threat to children as bad as any other predator.

dear God...is the USA so far gone that this can be allowed? These staffers have NO SOULS, and therefore deserve no compassion from us...throw them in prison and throw the key away.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
This vid. is from 06. The concerns have been known for some time and disregarded.

[edit on 4/5/2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I cant' believe for how long this has been a known issue and it has allowed to continue.

I wonder if the reason why this has gone to outside courts because it has been escalated due to years of legal inactivity here.
If this is correct than that is truly shameful on our part, beyond shameful in fact.
They torture mentally challenged kids who sneeze in class?

I'm trying to wrap my brain around how this is reality that for so very long these poor kids have been tortured and the state/federal govt. did absolutely nothing.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Just glad i will never bring someone into this world, what ffing stuff we have. I think people like gordon brown and tony blair are the sorts who are for this sort of thing, and it gets me hearing them talk about children and doing there best, when government is destroying kids all the time.

Sick fecks, and anyone who votes for planks like brown just mess up society even more.

Just watch how if the truth came out about blair ever, people would still love that murderer. sick and twisted world.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
The Judge Rotenberg Center's response to this seems (to me anyway) like a justification for their actions instead of a denial.

In fact they seem to be admitting to these treatments and take the position that this is the only effective method.

3. The Report fails to explain that behavioral treatment of these problems, including the use of supplementary aversives are often extremely effective, with no significant side effects.

4. When a treatment can avoid self-maiming, as well as save and extend lives, the sensible approach is to weigh the benefits against the risks and decide if the former outweigh the latter.

The closing statement is particularly childish.

However, the notion that because a treatment involves causing the patient to experience pain, it therefore is equivalent to torture does not make sense. By that standard surgery and dentistry would also qualify as torture and should be banned as well.

I have no idea why this is being taken to the UN. My guess is that as this institution has been kicked out of both California (after their "treatment" killed a boy) and Rhode Island, it seems as though they have found a home in Massachusetts where the courts allow their practice.

I really cannot think of a reason for this to be filed with a UN court.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by J-in-TX

I think they tried to take it to court locally and it was ignored.

They might also be trying to set a legal precident as human rights abuses against the disabled and mentally ill are happening in alot of UN western countries yet these incidences get treated as "understandable".

another such example:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by FiatLux

I hope you didn't miss my point. I was very much arguing against the use of the electric shock. My example was meant as a way of pointing out that most people would be outraged at the thought of doing it to an animal, let alone a helpless child.

Can you imagine how quick the animal rights activists would come down on, say a humane society that was putting packs on dogs that delivered that kind of shock (much different btw than the shock collar for around a yard). So I don't understand how this could be allowed to go on inside a facility with children??? Unbelievable!

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
As a parent of a disabled child, I find this beyond appalling! Believe me I know what it is like to work with an extremely difficult, aggressive, and at times violent child. I do it daily.

My child has severe Aspergers and Schizoaffective disorder. behavior modification does not work with my son and here is why. He is unable to associate behavior with the consequence. Therefore, the behavior that initiated the consequence repeats.

Punishment does not work. Pain with a disabled child teaches them it is OK to inflict pain on others because pain was inflicted on me.

Finding positive motivators works sometimes. In other words
what reward will cause a negative behavior to cease. But not always and that is the most difficult part of the puzzle. Everyday is different.

The key here is all children, whether disabled or not will respond differently to different things. The one thing I know for sure is the kind of treatment being inflicted upon these helpless kids is unconscionable.

These people are stupid and unqualified to work in society, period. They deserve jail time, everyone of them, for child abuse.

Electroshock Therapy is very different and very humane. Any patient undergoing this procedure is put to sleep by an anesthesiologists. Anything short of that is inhumane.

I do believe there are certain brain disorders that can be helped by EST.
The procedure actually can balance brain chemistry, when medication has not been successful.

This place needs to be closed!!

Thanks,
Pax

[edit on 4-5-2010 by paxnatus]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
My question is why on Earth they are going though such an unorthodox way of bringing this case to court. Through the United Nations? Torture? Seriously?

There are much better avenues by which to get this case taken care of--their lawyer needs to be fired.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by paxnatus
My child has severe Aspergers and Schizoaffective disorder. behavior modification does not work with my son and here is why. He is unable to associate behavior with the consequence. Therefore, the behavior that initiated the consequence repeats.

Not at all defending these sickos but keep in mind, what they are doing is conditioning more than it is anything else.
Being unable to associate behavior with consequences is one thing, but to be conditioned to instinctively relate the two is another.
I am not at all defending these sick dogs just putting it into perspective.

Punishment does not work. Pain with a disabled child teaches them it is OK to inflict pain on others because pain was inflicted on me.

Completely in agreement here.
Such extreme measures for behavioral modification will either teach them that inflicting pain onto others is okay, or they will be completely dependant on others and unable to care for themselves... ever.

Electro Shock Therapy is very different and very humane. Any patient undergoing this procedure is put to sleep by an anesthesiologists. Anything short of that is inhumane.

EST is different because it shocks the brain directly
What this place is doing however is shoking different body parts and never the brain.
I do not agree that EST is humane however, we are human beings not computers
We can never be so accurate in knowing exactly how much to shock.

I do believe there are certain brain disorders that can be helped by EST.
The procedure actually can balance brain chemistry, when medication has not been successful.

EST = Playing with your life with a pair dice

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I wasn't very clear with my statement regarding behavior and consequence, so let me clarify. Because the short term memory is usually very poor in children with Autism, conditioning fails.

The process needed for a child to remember a stimulus results in this action, doesn't exist in the brain. In other words Pavlovian technique will not work. They will remember something, but usual it will be remembered as some type of trauma that will result in either further withdrawal or worse acting out. a type of Post traumatic stress disorder.

I have seen Electroshock therapy first hand not with my own child but that of a patient while working as a psychiatric nurse in a hospital not psych. facility. It worked for them, but cannot speak for all.

It is humane in that a person doesn't feel the shock being delivered, they are under general anesthesia.

i saw a special on 20/20 years ago highlighting this facility. It was very disturbing then.
They reported, that a child once admitted to this place with parental consent,
could not be removed for any reason. That was in the agreement that determined admission. Many parents had no idea this type of abuse was taking place.

They demonstrated the shock on Dianne Sawyer she let out a yelp and declared it hurt a heck of a lot worse than a bee sting.

Perhaps this has made it all the way to the UN for "Crimes Against Humanity".

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
UN i feel love the idea of mind control and getting the worlds people to shut it.

People like tony blair and gordon brown should be on trial for these sorts of crimes, i wonder how many in uk alone get tortured under government wishes.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I used to work in a facility (actually it was more like a group hospice) that worked with the mentally and physically disabled as well as individuals with severe (sometimes violent) mental conditions. I worked as a staff.

We where each assigned a "client" and our duty was to personally attend to their individual needs. (aka with every day mundane stuff that we take for granted)

Anyway as part of my job I was trained with different assistance and restraint methods. If a client where to "escalate" we would restrain them with as little hurt to the "Client" as possible. The techniques where designed that way.

It was an absolute necessity (and law) that the client was to be restrained as little as possible.

With that said, those "Mentally disabled" people where still people with wants, and needs and dreams. They laughed at jokes and talked constantly about their interests. It's hard not to get very close to each and every one of them. There where some though that where mean, hateful, and homicidal. Although those people needed special attention we used the same sort of program with them and the same techniques of restraint.

As someone that worked in a humane facility dealing with the same sort of disturbed individuals and those not quite so bad off I cannot understand why a facility such as this would find necessity in essentially brutal techniques. There are techniques out there that are designed to be effective as well as humane. The field has come a long way.

Really, there is no need for any of this. I don't care how crazy these people are, there are better less evasive methods to deal with their individual needs.

Not only is this treatment brutal but it is also unnecessary. I say this as someone who was once a professional in this field.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by DaMod]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by riley

Originally posted by bismarcksea
Have you ever heard the phrase "retard strong"? There might be a reason why they crank up the juice!

You think thats funny do you..?

What an absolutely DISGUSTING thing to say. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Why yes it is...disgusting.....that was the entire point! Too bad you where quick to judge instead of actually reading the post for the context it was intented to convey.....Sickness!

Ashamed? No.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I re-read what you said and it still reads like you have a "thing" against people with disabilities.. otherwise you would not make jokes at their expense. You said "yes I am being sarcastic" but that does not make what you said okay.. I think you added that as a just-in-case disclaimer. I don't know why the mods let you get away with such filth as that level of racism certainly wouldn't be tolerated here.

and the other thing you said:

I think the institution should charge .50 cents a shock to the general public.
It would be a wonderful way of earning money during these rough economic times and a way for the mentally disabled to "give back" to their community!

In context? No where do you condemn their actions.. you just made jokes about it.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by riley]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join