It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US school for disabled forces students to wear packs that deliver massive electric shocks

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   

US school for disabled forces students to wear packs that deliver massive electric shocks

rawstory.com

Mental Disability Rights International (MDRI) has filed a report and urgent appeal with the United Nations Special Rapporteur on Torture alleging that the Judge Rotenberg Center for the disabled, located in Massachusetts, violates the UN Convention against Torture.

after an in-depth investigation revealed use of restraint boards, isolation, food deprivation and electric shocks in efforts to control the behaviors of its disabled and emotionally troubled students.

The disabilities group not
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Findings in the MDRI report include the center's practice of subjecting children to electric shocks on the legs, arms, soles of feet and torso -- in many cases for years -- as well as some for more than a decade.

The disabilities group notes that stun guns typically deliver three to four milliamps per shock. GEI packs, meanwhile, shock students with 45 milliamps -- more than ten times the amperage of a typical stun gun.

What are you kidding meeee?????????
This needs to stop NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW

At first I thought this was midieval, but no it's even worse!
I couldn't believe this in my wildest dreams!!!

One kid, you could smell the flesh burning, he had so many shocks. These kids are under constant fear, 24/7. They sleep with them on, eat with them on.

DEMONIC if true!

Rotenberg center is the only known facility in the United States, "Or perhaps the world," that employs the use of electricity, long-term restraints and other punishments to deliberately inflict pain upon its children and then refer to it as "treatment."

Imagine the mental torture not only the physical
These people need help but they must only be getting worse and worse and worse and worse.

This needs to stop NOW NOW NOW NOW!!!!!!!

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Yeah, using an International court or enforcement in the US of A was a pretty stupid move.

Either that or purposeful.

Sorry, will not EVER back an outside enforcement, court or other entity within the US of A.

Yes, very sickening.

BUT, as I said, no American is under the jurisdiction of any outside entity. I find this appalling in it's implementation.

What is the purpose?

They starting the removal of our rights?

Instead of the Bill of Rights, they going to start the implementation of Human Rights?

What the HELL does the UN have to do with anything in our frelling country?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Isn't this what some Asylums did to patients years back? Why are these same practices now being applied to children who are disabled in a variety of ways? Boy if I was a father I would keep my child away from that school like no tomorrow. This all the more actually infuriates me.

"One girl who was blind, deaf and non-verbal was moaning and rocking,"

I attended school and was even on the bus with a few kids who are labeled as disabled they don't need and should not be treated this way.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Nothing more than absolutely disgusting. Things like this cause even worse mental disabilities! All it does is just causes more issues. These people are fools, do they even realize that they're just messing them up more....

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
JRC responds:

JRC is the only program willing to address the reality of these children’s disorders and endure the political firestorm in order to save these children and give them an education and a future.

www.judgerc.org...

If you read their rebuttal, they are basically praising themselves for doing what they are doing and are considering the past lives of these mental patients as torture and their current behavioral modified lifestyle.

They even say this:

The Van Oorsouw, et al. article (2007) (see Appendix
A, item 1) concludes that there are no negative side effects to JRC’s use of skin-shock, but there are many positive side effects, such as increased socially appropriate behaviors and responsiveness, and increases in behaviors indicating a positive affective state such as smiling
and singing or talking. It would be torture to not treat these students and allow them to be chemically restrained and warehoused for the rest of their lives.

However........ They do make a valid point below:

There are currently millions of children in the United States needlessly suffering the painful and dangerous side-effects of psychotropic medications. Unlike aversive interventions, the use of
anti-psychotic and other potent sedatives with children is not regulated and is not court supervised. These are the vulnerable and tortured people that MDRI should be trying to help.

MDRI could help many people if it would focus on the truth, particularly the reality that severe behavior disorders exist that cannot be effectively treated with positive behavior supports alone and too many children are being drugged and warehoused. The question is whether MDRI has the courage to stand up for what is right and not simply for what is politically expedient.

Toughts?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   

I may be slightly biased after watching Shutter Island last night. What a frelling freaky movie.

I think an investigation is warranted for an American entity to check out the merits of the charges. Not any international entity.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Reminds me of that episode from The Simpsons, with the trained Mental Doctor who strapped the family in the chairs and let them administer electric shocks to each other everytime they didn't co-operate.

It doesn't surprise me that fact sometimes is often closer to the truth than we realise.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Where are the families of this students can they just remove their family members from the facility and just file a class action law sue?

Why taking this to the international courts.

It makes no sense unless is some agenda.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Why taking this to the international courts.

It makes no sense unless is some agenda.

You are right, it does make no sense!
I can't figure it out myself

I don't get it!!

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Where are the parents of these children? Are they even aware that this was going on? I can`t see how they couldn`t be aware, when their childrens skin would have burn marks on them.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Even if the Parents wanted to take the kids away from this experimentation lab, the children would have been deemed a threat to society and under sectioning laws in "containment" anyway.

The whole thing reeks of experimentation methods used in the 60/70's, and most of the parents, even if they knew, would never question it because they'd either be manipulated into believing that anyone with authority "must be right", or they simply have had enough of their unruly kid and would go to any length to normalise them.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
There are a lot of things about this that do not make sense.

First of all, in order for anyone to be able to do anything physicall to the child either the parent has given signed consent or the courts have ordered it.

It sounds as if this institute is a last-stop for some very seriously disabled individuals that nothing else has worked for, or else the parents are against using drugs and opt for this alternate 'therapy'.

I simply ask you this: If you had a dog that was prone to bite, would you strap a pack on its back and deliver a shock so horrible that it singed its hair, skin? Most normal people would say "of course not!". They would opt to put the dog down or give it away. Well, obviously as a parent we have the same reaction but not the same options so we are left with a "what do I do?" outcome. As a parent and someone who has worked with kids that have severe personality disorders, I find this to be beyond repulsive. physical torture is something very different from behavior modification and I thought this was condemed in this country long ago.

Yes, if they are so far gone into themselves or violent then I WOULD keep them sedated. It is much more humane than the physical torture. It is sadistic and I can't believe it is allowed.

As to letting an 'outside' agency try to impose what they think is right or wrong in 'our' country: Why the h@ll not? Our government has obviously failed these children so if it takes someone else to protect them than so be it.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   

It depends if it works or not and what the case is. There are those it does not work and there are those who it does. Light cases of ADD it does, cases like downs syndrome it does not. I would say it is quite harsh and in many cases not needed and simply wrong, like if your flesh is burning. However, the human being is an animal, and pain does occasionally straighten one out, including myself. In my childhood I used to put small amounts of bleach on my hands when I had not cleaned up my room forever. Insane yes. Motivation though, well, I don't have a dirty room anymore.

Of course that was self inflicted, because I knew it would work. Everyone is different, and it could be argued that certain groups it simply works on.

But again, moderation and who you're dealing with are 2 key concepts these people forgot. And for tat, they are wrong.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by Gorman91]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
There are a lot of things about this that do not make sense.

First of all, in order for anyone to be able to do anything physicall to the child either the parent has given signed consent or the courts have ordered it.

It sounds as if this institute is a last-stop for some very seriously disabled individuals that nothing else has worked for, or else the parents are against using drugs and opt for this alternate 'therapy'.

I simply ask you this: If you had a dog that was prone to bite, would you strap a pack on its back and deliver a shock so horrible that it singed its hair, skin? Most normal people would say "of course not!". They would opt to put the dog down or give it away. Well, obviously as a parent we have the same reaction but not the same options so we are left with a "what do I do?" outcome. As a parent and someone who has worked with kids that have severe personality disorders, I find this to be beyond repulsive. physical torture is something very different from behavior modification and I thought this was condemed in this country long ago.

Yes, if they are so far gone into themselves or violent then I WOULD keep them sedated. It is much more humane than the physical torture. It is sadistic and I can't believe it is allowed.

As to letting an 'outside' agency try to impose what they think is right or wrong in 'our' country: Why the h@ll not? Our government has obviously failed these children so if it takes someone else to protect them than so be it.

And I simply ask you this. Why would you want to do this to any living thing? Any animal will bit, if it is either treated bad, or trained that way, or cornered. Does this mean they need an electric shock?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
These people are monsters! What makes them think that hurting children is going to make them learn?
Non disabled people have trouble controlling their behaviors too, and if they can't do it, what makes them think a disabled child will do better if being punished?
I agree with the posts above. Where are the parents? Don't they notice the wounds?
This makes me sick.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Casandra

I can remember years ago, when some friends of mine were foster parents. They were told by that department, they could not use any force on any child, to make them do what they wanted, like home work, mow the yard, go to bed at a certain time. But yet, these idiots get away with this. Funny, parents can`t get away with these things, but this place can? Uh huh, yea........riiiiight.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Starred and flagged.

So much for america being a beacan for civil rights. More and more I see the disabled being treated as "fair game" to discriminate against and abuse.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by bismarcksea
Have you ever heard the phrase "retard strong"? There might be a reason why they crank up the juice!

You think thats funny do you..?

What an absolutely DISGUSTING thing to say. You should be ashamed of yourself.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join