It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John McCain: Do Not Read NYC Bombing Suspect His Rights Untill All Facts Are Known

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Looks like Joe Lieberman..the left leaning Independent, has sided with the rightists here.

Lieberman: No US citizenship rights for terrorists

"If you're attacking your fellow Americans in an act of war you lose the rights that come with citizenship," Senate Homeland Security Committee Chairman Joe Lieberman, an independent, told reporters.

Lieberman said he was trying to amend an old US law "that says that if an American citizen is found to be fighting in the military of a nation with whom we are at war, they lose their citizenship."

rawstory.com...

He still as with McCain seems to be denying these citizens their right to a fair trial. I do not care if they are confessing. People confess to crimes they didn't commit all the time. They still HAVE to be afforded due process of the law.
If they are then convicted or plead guilty then they can "review" their citizenship.

I am by no means claiming this guy isn't guilty. In fact, he probably is. But you can not deprive American citizens their right to due process of the law....

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Thank you for that, "seagull"

I am wondering where this ends?

John McCain, in his pandering to a (very easy) target, within the mostly American psyche (Islam) is being terribly disengenuous, and exhibiting the worst form of the "body politic", in this comment.

HE IS CAMPAIGNING for re-election, people!

Seems he will pull out any stop, and stoop to any level, to win.

Sickening.

```~~~

Edit for OP: Just saw the above post....ole' Joe Lieberman? Not surprising....he tends to flow whichever the (as he sees it) wind blows...thoroughly irrelevant, in my opinion.

[edit on 4 May 2010 by weedwhacker]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
You're welcome...

Amazing what running for reelection brings out in politicians, isn't it? I'm not sure how he, an ex Vietnam era POW can justify something of this nature...given the treatment that many received while in captivity...

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

"I hate the gooks. I will hate them as long as I live."

John McCain

And people say he isn't a bigot. Maybe he has a right to hate the people who did that to him...but sounds there like he is still referring to all of the East Asian people. Racial profiling?????

Maybe...maybe not....

[edit on 4-5-2010 by webpirate]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamsupermanv2
Do you not know that not reading them their rights is a common police/investigation tactic?

I've had friends who were questioned before in relation to a robbery in the neighborhood (they just happened to be a black guy in a black shirt and jeans like the suspect)

He was not read his rights, because he was just taken down to be questioned. He even asked if he was being arrested, the officer said no, in fact, you can get your own ride down to the station if you wish. He decided to just go with the officer and make his own life easier. Yea, it was a a hassle, but legal as I udnerstand the law.

That's NORMAL.

It seems like McCain was just saying:I hope they don't give him an early out.

Of course he has to be read his rights...if not he gets off pretty much.

You don't have to be advised of miranda if the police don't care what you have to say, some times patrol officers with enough information for an arrest will leave miranda up to detectives.. But.. some cops will advise you of miranda right away to make sure everything you say is 'on the record' and admissible.

mccorpse is suggesting something totally abnormal: that all the "facts" be known first.. which from an investigators standpoint is ridiculous.. "facts" are determined in court, not by the police... police make allegations.

Once suspected of a crime anything you say can and will be used against you.. mccain is apparently suggesting waiting until courts determine facts.. either he's senile and has no clue what he's talking about, or is ignorant about a simple tenant of US law.

Follow mccains advice, let the suspect talk ALL he wants outside miranda and risk the suspect admitting guilt / offering evidence that is inadmissible and thrown out.. He is suggesting a procedural change in how police work is usually done, a topic he's not even remotely qualified to speak about... along with a veiled suggestion miranda rights don't matter.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
In all likelihood this man and the others arrested in Pakistan are never to be heard from again by the public - "Special Administrative Measures" will see to that. While they are held (with or without charge[s]) in solitary confinement indefinitely, they might not even be informed of the specific charges (if any), and won't be allowed to see the evidence against them so as to prepare a defense, eventually - when the DoJ feels like it - they will be brought to a mock-trial, closed of course, and promptly found guilty (as they have been denied their right - by extension of Due Process - to prepare a defense) of whatever it is that will give the judge an adequate excuse to sentence them to a lifetime stay at one of our Islamic Detention Centers:
the FCC in Terre Haute, IN or the TCC in Thomson, IL -

Nearly all the inmates transferred to Terre Haute are Muslims. A second facility has been set up at Marion, Ill., where the inmates again are mostly Muslim but also include a sprinkling of animal rights and environmental activists, among them Daniel McGowan, who was charged with two arsons at logging operations in Oregon. His sentence was given “terrorism enhancements” under the Patriot Act. Amnesty International has called the Marion prison facility “inhumane.” All calls and mail—although communication customarily is off-limits to prison officials—are monitored in these two Communication Management Units. Communication among prisoners is required to be only in English. The highest-level terrorists are housed at the Penitentiary Administrative Maximum Facility, known as Supermax, in Florence, Colo., where prisoners have almost no human interaction, physical exercise or mental stimulation, replicating the conditions for most of those held at Guantánamo. If detainees are transferred from Guantánamo to the prison in Thomson, Ill., they will find little change. They will endure Guantánamo-like conditions in colder weather.

Source

Guilty or innocent is a non-factor for the DoJ in terrorism related-trials. Their only goal is to enable the President to one day say "we got 'em", without any regard for the truth, much for justice and the rule of law.

An aside: Some here don't seem to understand that all American citizens, ALL OF THEM, are afforded the exact same rights and legal protections/defenses and to the exact same degree as each other. The personal feelings of such persons toward the accused are totally irrelevant. This is what equality means and this is what we are, at least in theory, guaranteed as citizens of the US, all of us, even the ones we don't like. If these people disagree with this principle, they have tacitly accepted arbitrary justice, a notion that is by thoroughly and completely incompatible with democratic republican government. Such people, if they believe what they profess to, would perhaps prefer the Stalinist judicial system.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by webpirate
The fact that top Republican leaders speaking out that he shouldn't be read his rights is just absurd.

Leaders? Who else is saying this?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I like how McCain says not to read him his rights as if not doing so will mean he doesn't have any.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by mike_trivisonno

If you really studied the "enemy" you might not be so quick to judge. look for Al Quaeda made up here on ATS or read www.abovetopsecret.com... for the scam being pulled on the Middle East and you might learn a few things about reality. IMHO.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Agreed, it's interesting what elections bring out in officials.....lack of movement on immigration reform, pandering , exagerating the recovery of the economy.....it happens on both sides.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by webpirate

Republicans warn against Miranda rights for terror suspect

Society functions on trust.
It does not function on laws.
That is an illusion.
When the trust is gone
the law becomes meaningless.
Multiculturalism destroys trust.
Nobody trusts anybody anymore.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

He did not say that, you over reaching do gooder... But a man that tried to blow up innocent people in this country should not be awarded our same benefits. PERIOD

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   

No, you said "camp of islam" .. I just jumped on him for assuming you meant muslims... To him I apologize.. To you, I say "pick your words carefully"

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
"The laws are not there to be switched on and off, Senator!"

This is a brilliant comment on the stupidity of McCain's statements...

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

I was pumping my fist in the air when I heard that! It was EXCELLENT!
Short, sweet and right to the point!

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Can we also strip Christian terrorists of their rights? Lets make it equal.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

Even Glenn Beck got this one right. I never thought I'd be giving him credit for anything, but I've got to here.

"He is a citizen of the United States, so I say we uphold the laws and the Constitution on citizens… If you are a citizen, you obey the law and follow the Constitution. He has all the rights under the Constitution… We don't shred the Constitution when it is popular. We do the right thing."

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

This may be the first time I've ever agreed with anything that sanctimonious dunderhead has to say...

When he's right, he's right...

We don't get to pick and choose the times the law applys...or to whom... all the time, and for everyone, or what the hell is the point?

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

This may be a first...

Keith Olbermann, and Glenn Beck... Agreeing on an issue?

Are dogs and cats sleeping together...?

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by seagull

I know... You agreeing with Olbermann and me agreeing with Beck??? Sweet Merciful Crap! What's going on???

I think it shows who really understands how our system of justice is supposed to work. And who doesn't. And who is desperate to get reelected.

new topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join