It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John McCain: Do Not Read NYC Bombing Suspect His Rights Untill All Facts Are Known

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Republicans warn against Miranda rights for terror suspect

Congressional Republicans want to know whether the Pakistani-born American arrested in the Times Square car bombing plot was read his Miranda rights, with Sen. John McCain saying it would be a “serious mistake” if the suspect was reminded of his right to remain silent.

“Obviously that would be a serious mistake until all the information is gathered,” McCain (R-Ariz.) said on “Imus in the Morning” when asked whether the suspect, Faisal Shahzad, should have been Mirandized.

Rep. Peter King (N.Y.), the top Republican on the House Homeland Security Committee, wants to know whether the Justice Department consulted with the intelligence community.

“I hope that [Attorney General Eric] Holder did discuss this with the intelligence community. If they believe they got enough from him, how much more should they get? Did they Mirandize him? I know he’s an American citizen but still,” King told POLITICO.

www.politico.com...

This guy is an American citizen. Even if he weren't, people in the US are presumed INNOCENT until proven guilty. And they have a Constitutionally protected right against self incrimination.

The fact that top Republican leaders speaking out that he shouldn't be read his rights is just absurd. It doesn't matter what he is accused of doing. This is a right that is held very dear by most Americans. For the person who was almost elected President a little over a year ago to suggest the Constitution and certain Unalienable Rights do not apply to someone is bordering on Nazism.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by webpirate]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Jihadists should be stripped of American citizenship and sent to prison.

They are not Americans once they enter The Camp of Islam. They become the enemy and need not be afforded any comfort or kindness.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by mike_trivisonno

So anyone who is a Muslim should be stripped of all of their HUMAN rights? Not to mention Constitutionally and court backed civil and personal rights?

Are you serious?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

No. I said that jihadists should be stripped of citizenship. They are not Americans.

I don't care about their "human" rights at all.

I do care about the individual liberties and rights of the citizens this jihadist tried to slaughter in the name of his god, Allah.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Bordering on Nazism? Boy, pretty soon that word will be as worthless as racist. So, only the Republicans want to circumvent the Constitution? Geez, I guess this administration gets a pass on that one. If they have him on tape, as it appears they do, I really don't care what they do to the little bastard. How many peoples rights were gonna be violated by him, if the bomb had worked. Bust his ass up to you have all of the answers......then just a little more tho make sure you got the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Human rights?

What the hell are human rights?

Maybe if you actually knew the law, you would actually make a better argument.

They are not human rights, they are unalienable rights.

Human rights is the catch phrase of globalists.

McCain is a RINO.

3rd party, Anti Incumbency. Or you are part of the problem folks.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by mike_trivisonno

They are not Americans once they enter The Camp of Islam. They become the enemy and need not be afforded any comfort or kindness.

The camp of Islam just sounds to me like you mean all of Islam. And, no matter what anyone thinks, everyone should be afforded a trial by jury as prescribed by US law. Unfortunately, as we are finding out with a lot of the detainees in Guantanamo Bay, a lot of them were not terrorists. They were merely singled out as Jihadists or because people were paid to find us terrorists.

Almost none of them were given a trial. And how many of them never did anything but voice their opinion against the United States or some of it's policies.

There are lots of ATS members who do the same thing on a daily basis.
So the distinction here then is because the speak out against the US AND are Muslim, that makes them Jihadists, therefore not allowed any of the legal protections afforded to other US citizens.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Do you not know that not reading them their rights is a common police/investigation tactic?

I've had friends who were questioned before in relation to a robbery in the neighborhood (they just happened to be a black guy in a black shirt and jeans like the suspect)

He was not read his rights, because he was just taken down to be questioned. He even asked if he was being arrested, the officer said no, in fact, you can get your own ride down to the station if you wish. He decided to just go with the officer and make his own life easier. Yea, it was a a hassle, but legal as I udnerstand the law.

That's NORMAL.

It seems like McCain was just saying:I hope they don't give him an early out.

Of course he has to be read his rights...if not he gets off pretty much.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
It's sad to think that our Constitution only applies to American citizens. I mean, wasn't the country founded on universal freedom? Isn't the Declaration of Independence written as a statement towards all of humanity? The words "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal" sound to me like our founding fathers wished ALL individuals to be seen on the same level. But a few hundred years later, "Americans" are a protected class compared to "others". This, I say, is the great flaw of our modern government.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   

I agree with you. As an American citizen he deserves his rights read to him and he deserves due process. Those are the breaks and he, if convicted, will likely receive life in prison.

We should have a travel restriction on the contries these folks go to as well as a denial of legal residence or citizenship for folks from certain countries. There is no way a person should be allowed to travel to Pakistan, Yemen or Somalia and other places and then back into the US.

Everyone who is not legal from those countries should also be immediately deported.

We have to treat all citizens equally, but certainly don't have to treat every non-citizen equally

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   

John McCain is irrelevant.

Will be interesting, though, to see his (former) champions and supporters try to back-peddle from this gaffe.

The inanity and stupidity being spewed from "that" side of hte USA political 'debate' continues to be stunning.

Slightly off-topic, but to illustrate....remember that other irrelevant individual (connected to McCain) who consists of nothing more than a few catch-phrases (as in, "Drill, Baby, Drill") and is notable absent fvollowing the latest oil spill crisis, in the Gulf of Mexico?

Sad thing is, even those these two examples are irrelevant, unfortunately their "fans" haven't realized it yet.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Hey feel free to strip me of citizenship right now.

If I'm persona non grata that really opens up a whole new avenue of possibility because if I'm not a citizen of any country why should I be subject to their laws? Or taxes.

No. I said that jihadists should be stripped of citizenship. They are not Americans.

I don't care about their "human" rights at all.

I do care about the individual liberties and rights of the citizens this jihadist tried to slaughter in the name of his god, Allah.

And American's slaughter in the name of their GOD (Gold, oil, drugs) should we also strip any captured American's of their rights and feel free to torture them however we please?

You really want to think about the standard you're trying to set here because when you get into a fight with someone that can actually hurt you, they will be doing everything you've done for the past 60 years right back at you . And your allies? Well we aren't very likely to want to help because quite frankly you're monsters and you deserve it.

Reciprocity.

The international courts are used to looking the other way because America tells them to. So if you wanted any justice it simply would not be there any more, mostly because of you.

I have to admit seeing your countries conduct in these wars and what a country that hasn't signed and doesn't abide by the Geneva conventions is like I've had to re-evaluate my views.

Quite frankly America you aren't half as moral or civilised as many other countries in this world and I'd prefer to scrap our alliance and go for a more neutral stance.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by belial259]

[edit on 4-5-2010 by belial259]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Failing to remind someone of their rights does not mean they haven't any.

McCain is pandering to the agitated citizens who relish the thought of painful interrogations for terrorists.

Truth is, I still haven't seen the final conclusion that religion had anything to do with this. And I find myself wondering, even if the money to purchase the materials and all did come from a religious group, isn't it possible that the perpetrator himself isn't himself anything more than a criminal for hire?

Representatives need to be working now John, stop the perpetual campaigning, K?

Let the Justice system handle this. If the representatives get involved it'll be more fleecing of the citizens under the guise of whatever they can trump up.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by Maxmars]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by iamsupermanv2

The Miranda rights have nothing to do with being arrested per se. They require 2 parts to force police to use them.

The person in question has to be detained. If he was free to leave at any point, then he is not required to be Mirandized.

The second is questioning. If he is arrested and asked no questions then he does not need to be Mirandized. They should, but it isn't required.

What is required is Due Process. All American Citizens are afforded due process of the law.

McCain was not just saying he shouldn't be released until all the facts are known. He made it plain that he should not be told his right to remain silent until he had already confessed.

I agree if this guy is found guilty by a jury, then he should be strung up.
However, if his rights were not read to him, and he was questioned while being detained, then anything he said CAN NOT be used against him in a US court of law.
However, if this happens, then he will probably just either be sent away somewhere or detained forever without a trial like so many others before him as a prisoner of war.

And I am not limiting this to just the Republicans. I know full well that the top Democrat in the US...who is the President is just as guilty of violating human rights as the other side is...

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
If you do not have the right to remain silent, what does that mean? What does McCain believe should be the correct way to deal with a person who remains silent when he has no right to?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   

What you said was noted...I don't have much in reply, I just learned a little more from you. Thanks friend.

BTW, sorry if my first few lines seemed snarky..not intended.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   

In the Unites States of America, how exactly do you determine a legal citizen is a jihadist before they have been charged, Miranda'd, and tried in court?

Can you just clear that up for me?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by iamsupermanv2

I know things have changed in many ways via patriot acts, but wouldn't failure to read miranda rights render all admissions or testimony by the suspect inadmissable?

McCain might have aides who understand law, and write bills for him, but does anyone actually think he knows what he's talking about? I agree with his irrelevance, yet he certainly gets more passes than most pols.

Also, they (MSM) claim evidence that HE bought the SUV used in the attempt. What kind of self respecting terrorist would be retarded enough to do that? Especially in NYC, its pretty easy to steal a car, yet a criminal mastermind failed to think that through?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
He is trying to get re-elected. And he knows his voters down in Arizona love this "kill all terrrorists" talk...they also like the "deport all Mexicans" talk...that is why he has done a 360 on most of his past views on some issues.

He is just giving them what they want to hear...kill the terrroists and deport the Mexicans. And the fools in Arizona will eat it up and re-elect him.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   

"Jihadist"... It's the new "Terrorist".

They are not Americans once they enter The Camp of Islam.

Oh, Lord! Freedom of religion, anyone? You spit on the Constitution with the above sentiments.

Originally posted by thomasblackraven
It's sad to think that our Constitution only applies to American citizens.

It doesn't only apply to American citizens. It applies to "people" where stated and to "citizens" where stated. Anyone saying anything else doesn't know what they're talking about.

Originally posted by K J Gunderson
In the Unites States of America, how exactly do you determine a legal citizen is a jihadist before they have been charged, Miranda'd, and tried in court?

You make a bunch of emotionally-based assumptions and completely disregard the law of the land and our Constitution. That's the only way.

McCain is an idiot and is pandering to the right wing extremists and illegal immigrant soldiers. Yeah, I know this suspect is an American citizen, but he's a "foreigner" and a "jihadist" (so they assume) so they stupidly support anyone who wants to singlehandedly strip their rights away before they have even been tried.

McCain is more of an idiot that I had previously thought...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join