It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could The Garden of Eden mean sex?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I've had a thought that's probably way off, but I can't really get it out of my head. And since I've noticed there are a lot of thinking people around here, I thought I'd share it.

You know how, according to the OT, Adam and Eve were walking around naked, and after both Adam and Eve had had a bite of the apple and were cast out, they also became ashamed of their nudity? (puh, long sentence there) Isn't there striking similarities between that hand how people act during and after sex? I mean, during sex, we're not very concerned about nudity or any other things that might be "tabu" otherwize - quite the opposite. However, afterwards it's a whole different thing.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I don't think so.
IMHO, the Garden of Eden was symbolic of innocence, lack of sin, or right and wrong, etc.
To me, the Garden of Eden reads like another parable.

seekerof

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Seekerof, is right the garden of eden was suppoused to be a world of inocent and not sex.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Personally I don't buy into the idea of the garden of eden being a metaphor for sex. I think the Garden of Eden represented immortality, it was only after being driven out of Eden that aging and the need for reproduction became a necessity. So although the outcome led to sex, Eden I believe was absent of sex.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I can't believe how many people don't see this!

I thought this was a given. I freaking learned it in Church!

The Fruit of the TREE OF KNOWLEDGE!

Carnal knowledge? Hint, hint, wink, wink.

They were as children and God told them to do anything they wanted, and take from any tree...BUT THAT ONE!

But Eve was tricked by a slippery, sneaky snake and in turn TEMPTED Adam to take a bite of forbidden fruit.

And after the act of sharing from the tree of knowledge (doing it), suddenly they were aware of their nakedness. Everything had changed.

And as part of the punishment, not only did God kick them out of the Garden of Eden (or innocence) but said Eve's child birth would be painful for tempting Adam.

How do you think she got pregnant? From a pear?

YES, YES, YES...it was sex! The Original sin...the Big "O".... For crying out loud...

And if you're not begging for forgiveness during it, you're not doing it right...

Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God...

[Edited on 6-6-2004 by RANT]

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 11:50 AM
link   
The Garden of Eden was a real place perfect in every way as provided from God. Eating of the fruit resulted in Adam and Eves banished from Eden. God placed two cherubs� with flaming swards to block the entrance and keep Adam and Eve out.

Unless you think the Cherub were living chastity belts, the Garden of Eden was a very real place.

Genesis 3:23-24

The Fall of Man

So the LORD God banished him from the Garden of Eden to work the ground from which he had been taken. After he drove the man out, he placed on the east side of the Garden of Eden cherubim and a flaming sword flashing back and forth to guard the way to the tree of life.

[Edited on 6-6-2004 by kinglizard]

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Whether or not one believes the story is real, or there was really a place called the garden of eden, the "sin" refered to is SEX. It's not eating fruit.

There's literal interpretation, then there's just insane.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
Whether or not one believes the story is real, or there was really a place called the garden of eden, the "sin" refered to is SEX. It's not eating fruit.

There's literal interpretation, then there's just insane.

If the "sin" refered to is sex, why would god make a companion that was female, able to procreate? Also give them the command to do so? The sin here is defiance of god, by eating the fruit.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I didn't think they got the go forth and procreate marching orders until after getting kicked out Intrepid.

But to answer your question, there's alot of reasons God would do that.

Um, he's omnipotent. He made them, KNOWING they'd sin. A man and a women that could populate the Earth. Worked out well didn't it.

The SIN was and IS essential. All part of the plan.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 12:18 PM
link   
If he made them knowing they would sin, where's free will? It's not there, thus the whole pupose of the bible is gone. The theme of the bible is summed up by the book of Job. Satan says that no one will serve God willingly.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
He made them, KNOWING they'd sin.

God gave his children Free Will, It is our choice to follow or abandon his word.

Edit: intrepid got to it first.

[Edited on 6-6-2004 by kinglizard]

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Genesis 2:15-17

The LORD God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it. And the LORD God commanded the man, "You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die."

God gives us many examples of our freedom of choice. He gives us his law but ultimately we have freewill to choose which path we follow. God said to Adam and Eve not to eat from the tree of the knowledge, but they were seduced by the words of evil and decided to eat the fruit.

Genesis 4:8-12

Now Cain said to his brother Abel, "Let's go out to the field." And while they were in the field, Cain attacked his brother Abel and killed him.
Then the LORD said to Cain, "Where is your brother Abel?"
"I don't know," he replied. "Am I my brother's keeper?"

The LORD said, "What have you done? Listen! Your brother's blood cries out to me from the ground. Now you are under a curse and driven from the ground, which opened its mouth to receive your brother's blood from your hand. When you work the ground, it will no longer yield its crops for you. You will be a restless wanderer on the earth."

God asks Cain �Where is your brother�, �What have you done?�. Proof that he gave us freewill over the choices we make in life. If God knew that Cain would kill Able when he created him he wouldn�t have asked what he did, he would have already known.

We also have the choice to be �born again� by baptism. Again it�s our freewill that gives us the choice. Baptism is a choice and by definition freewill.

bible.gospelcom.net...

bible.gospelcom.net...

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Yes, free will to chose...but with God knowing the outcome.

Isn't everyone's first question in Sunday School...why did Adam and Eve ruin Eden...they messed up everything.

And the answer always...They had to. It was their choice, but still...

It's a sticky wicket and fun to ponder, but in all honesty I'm now Atheist and not really looking to defend God's contradictions.

But I grasp the concept that He's omnipotent and gave us free will, but it's still all laid out. If I had to try and be Christian again, I'd go back to strict Calvinist Presbyterianism.

PRE-DETERMINATION BABY. No head scratching. Just the logic of God.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 12:52 PM
link   
This is not the first time I've heard this theory. Somehow it doesn't sound at all believable to me.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 11:08 AM
link   
The Garden of Eden is the physical body and the application of the Tree of Good and Evil is the sexual act itself.

www.gnostickabbalah.com...
www.gnostickabbalah.com...

One may have a very difficult time with that site because it takes a lot of understanding.

One may try reading my book: neoxenos.com...

[Edited on 10-6-2004 by neoxenos]

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Qur'an has a slightly different version of it. It apears that the Garden of Eden was not a material place and Adam and Eve were spiritual beings, until they were tempted by Satan to eat from the forbiden tree. After that they materialised their bodies and God sent them to Earth as punishment.
They were BOTH EQUALY guilty, unlike the christian version where "evil woman" Eve tempted "the good man" Adam.

This is a metaphor of our everyday life. We are tempted by material desires and we should resist them in order to attain spiritual progress. These "shells" Adam and Eve created for humans are just temporary, spiritual part of us is eternal and that part does not require material goods to live.

Here is the relevant part from the Qur'an:

[7:19] "As for you, Adam, dwell with your wife in Paradise, and eat therefrom as you please, but do not approach this one tree, lest you fall in sin."

[7:20] The devil whispered to them, in order to reveal their bodies, which were invisible to them. He said, "Your Lord did not forbid you from this tree, except to prevent you from becoming angels, and from attaining eternal existence."

[7:21] He swore to them, "I am giving you good advice."

[7:22] He thus duped them with lies. As soon as they tasted the tree, their bodies became visible to them, and they tried to cover themselves with the leaves of Paradise. Their Lord called upon them: "Did I not enjoin you from that tree, and warn you that the devil is your most ardent enemy?"

top topics

join