It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If You See a Member Got an Applause...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
because it shows on the member's profile, is there a way to view the post that the member got the applause for?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
No, the only one who will know what was applauded was the member who received the applause. They will be sent a u2u/private message linking them to the specific post.

Then the staff has a log to see what posts were applauded and by what staff member. But there is no public link.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Mary Rose

Back a few years ago it used to be a list of members applauses per day posted in the Board page, but for some reason its no longer available.

I guess with everything including the new an improve make over of ATS in the years since its beginning some things are changed added and taken out again.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
No, the only one who will know what was applauded was the member who received the applause.

Okay so there must not be any purpose of members being used to lead by example with the applause function, since other members can't read and learn from the post that has been honored.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Well that's the thing... since they are for the post and not necessarily the thread you might look at that single post and take it out of context...

I just got one a few minutes ago and if you read the single post
www.abovetopsecret.com...
it doesn't refer to the OP of a Teen being given 40 years for the murder of a border patrol agent.... out of context, but relevant...

This a nice thing to get, lets me know someone somewhere reads the rabble bouncing round in my brain the often screams to be let out on these boards

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
When applauses were linked to the post, it often became a drama event.

Example-

"You gave an applause for that!?!
My post was WAY better and I got nothing."

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mary Rose

Okay so there must not be any purpose of members being used to lead by example with the applause function, since other members can't read and learn from the post that has been honored.

I don't think that is the reason for applauds on ATS.

In fact, a few applauds I have received have been on posts that other Mods didn't like or warned me about.

In other words, applauds are simply nods of agreement from individual Mods and not to be taken as "official posts to learn from".

Not sure if I made that make sense...but I tried.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by Mr Mask]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Mary Rose

No there isn't. But applause-worthy posts have been described many times to give members a good idea on how to achieve them:

Original content/research: Copying and pasting a ton of external content takes minimal effort. But someone gathering their own info on a subject is a win.

Civility and decorum: No matter how good the post is, if it's being nasty to another member, it most likely will not receive an applause.

Etc.

As Masqua pointed out, it opens the door for tantrums and drama to make them public.

reply to post by Mr Mask

In other words, applauds are simply nods of agreement from individual Mods and not t be taken as "official posts to learn from".

Not necessarily. Many times we applaud posts we may be very strongly opposed to opinion-wise but the posts were well thought out, presented, and civil. A common misconception is an applaud means 'I agree.' What it should mean is nothing more than 'good post.'

Not that we do not ever agree with a post we applaud because of course that is true as well. It just shouldn't be a deciding factor for us.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
As Masqua pointed out, it opens the door for tantrums and drama to make them public.

What about having the "Applause" field on the member's profile be a hyperlink to the posts that were applauded?

If this were the case, disgruntled, envious members would have no place to vent their frustration, correct? Or at least, they would have to go to a lot of trouble to post their nasty stuff?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
When applauses were linked to the post, it often became a drama event.

Example-

"You gave an applause for that!?!
My post was WAY better and I got nothing."

no doubt.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
If posts were link to their respective claps it would become obvious rather quickly that most claps are reciprocity for foot rubs, hair braiding, and nail painting. The whole system would collapse and panic on the streets ... and I don't mean just on ATS, that's what happened in Greece.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

Not necessarily. I've applauded members on many occasions when I most assuredly didn't agree... But they made cogent arguements that kept the conversation flowing, and may have made people think. Come to think on it, I've applauded you for much that reason...or at least I think I have.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

He, he, I remember that also, I guess its better to keep the applause in a more personal and private matter.

It does create "drama events"

new topics

top topics

join