It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Debate: Should We Fear or Welcome Alien Contact?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
the problem i see is that our religions (all of them) and our govt's and now our top scientists (hawking you disappoint me) are working together to prevent alien contact. but i truly believe there will come a time when they (tptb) can no longer lie to us. the others (et's) will just land in a public place perhaps manhattan ny. for all to see, and i also believe WE are the ones to make this happen. not nasa (need.another.space.agency) i am so tired of waiting for disclosure. lets make disclosure happen. why not brainstorm ideas for contacting aliens. ie what would be needed, what kind of message should be sent etc......

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I go with the weight of the evidence being they are here and have been here off and on for thousands of years.

With that assumption in place then one must conclude they are not a threat or as so many people have said "we would be toast already".

I think they are not a threat to us except for one possibility and that is they see us as hopelessly dangerous and decide to simply wipe us out and start over. Given our level of stupidity and propensity for war that could be a real danger.

I see no other reason they would be a threat to us. They obviously have access to unlimited resources and the energy of the universe if they are capable of stopping by to say hello.

I welcome the time when they come out into the open. It might be the catharsis our world needs to stop some of the madness.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by True-seer

R.I.P. Native Americans, I welcome them if they welcome me.
2nd

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I'll quote from the OP in my thread as it applies to the relevance of this thread.

My thread The Alien Threat, or lack thereof IMO

Originally posted by UberL33t
It amazes me at the fear that encompasses the whole "disclosure" ordeal. The only threat I see is human in nature. Meaning, if in fact Aliens are here and zooming about our planet, I firmly believe it's not because of some diabolical plan to eradicate us from existence.

This argument may be validated if we (in our current state of evolution) were capable of interstellar travel, for we would then, for all intensive purposes, perhaps be considered a threat to the Universe. We have yet to even amass a manned mission to Mars in our current technological advancement.

So if anything, we're merely being observed. The only threat that is prevalent is the threat to ourselves and the Earth that we inhabit. If I had to guess, Aliens that might be observing us have the attitude that is best depicted in the following montage and nothing more.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/623ef8609b3f.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/46b7648418d6.jpg[/atsimg]

All the Best,
UberL33t

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

lol nice Montage

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   

I'm basing my preparedness on my personal views to me i am ready. no matter what happens.

I think I’m ready too.

But what if something happens during contact that we weren’t expecting; an aggressive incursion devoid of mercy, evangelical missionaries devoid of reason, wild game hunters seeking six billion trophies?

What if “they” have the technology to wipeout certain parts of our memories and use this tech as a divisive weapon? You wake up one morning to ships in the sky, but more importantly no one on the planet knows, or trusts, any one else.

…well if thier malevolent aliens then were screwed…Anything is better than our current situation.

How many people blithely say the same thing, not really considering the consequences of outside – and superior - interference?

How would we know we weren’t being lied to?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
it does not matter
there will be no contact

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
first sorry for my english i try to do my best

we must learn from our mistakes, how long ? the time passe and we learn nothing from history, the same war , the same hate,always the same conflicts betwen people all over the world, we are not evolving anymore,we turn around on and on, what is Evolution ? that is the big question... certainly not the technology or the way we live,humans know a great handicap, BORDERS , we are not united, many says our neighbor are a threat , it's all about money and Economy, the only thing i could say inside our mind our spirit we are already dead...human being must be reconnected... we should stop this arrogance, as soon as possible or like all the others we will vanish.
Alien species could not interact with people like us,they will introduce them self as a species, they will speak in the name of their entire species.But for us ? who will speak in the name of our species ? we don't understand actualy what is a global unity, we think as a race and not as a species, we protect first our country instead protecting our planet, alien could not contact a specific country because eatch one protects these interests... even if they decide to talk to all the races in planet earth maybe a meeting with presidents of eatch country, it could not be possible...can you imagine in the same room USA, NORTH COREA,PALESTINE,ISRAEL,FRENCH,GERMANY,AFGhANISTAN and all the others, all this country making war for oil, weapon and money, i dont think so... what should we do then ?

But in the case those alien are destructive and a threat, it dosen't matter they will annihilate us, the same way as we do for ourselves ...

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by citizenbob

And what makes you so sure of this do you information the rest of us dont.

Cmon spill the beans

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I don't think we should necessarily trust aliens if we ever did make contact. And I make no promises not to be hostile towards them myself.

Since they are not human, they have no rights under law. And I've really really wanted my own space ship for a long time now. Enough to take one from aliens at gunpoint if necessary.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by True-seer
Debate: Should We Fear or Welcome Alien Contact?
There is a debate going on inspired by the comments of Professor Stephen Hawking, who in a recent release, states that although he believes in the possibility of life elsewhere, he believes we should NOT attempt to contact them.

Now it's your turn. What do you think? Should we be fearful of alien contact?

Hi True-seer, here are my thoughts about it.

It’s really amazing and in my opinion quite disturbing to see how people like in this case Professor Stephen Hawking, who is no doubt an icon in the scientific community, comes with statements like that, when there is on the other hand during the last sixty to seventy decades so many information accumulated that clearly shows that “they” are already here.

So his advice to NOT take attempts to contact them is already overruled.

It are such Unwelcome statements what people must really Fear, because they show clearly that the scientific community has still the unwanted and in fact unacceptable intention of keeping this already ET presence under wraps.

The reason is that the aliens may be hostile, and when they pinpoint our location, they could invade, and enslave us, much like some recent movies depict. He stated that: "If aliens visit us, the outcome would be much as when Columbus landed in America, which didn't turn out well for the Native Americans

He is right by saying that aliens may be hostile, and you can read if you want my thoughts about that here.

reply to post by spacevisitor

My Personal View on this matter is that we should not Fear Contact, I'd welcome it with open arms. Thier is Several reason people may fear them but if they wanted to get rid of us, they would have already.

I have my personal view on this matter and you have yours, but know that despite I have the opinion above, I nevertheless respect yours.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by expat2368

I go with the weight of the evidence being they are here and have been here off and on for thousands of years.

As long as we’re in the realms of assumption here, let’s expand on that concept; in that period of them visiting, we have witnessed them countless times.

Maybe even interacted with them directly.

Perhaps even owe our existence to their technology.

Perhaps we built up religions and philosophies that were originally based on their presence, interaction and teachings. Those religions changed and have now been usurped and transformed into forms of global control devised by the unscrupulous and power hungry to control the masses.

Yet, the perhaps inadvertent founders of these religions do nothing about the consequences of their actions.

And today, in the year 2010, as we accomplish our highest technological achievements, we are still fighting over the Earth’s raw materials, other people’s land, and in the name of conflicting creeds.

Yet, the perhaps inadvertent instigators of these divisions do nothing about the consequences of their actions.

With that assumption in place then one must conclude they are not a threat

Really? What does that make them then? Caring? Attentive?

If they have knowingly allowed philosophies established on them to prosper and go on to divide us and drive us to kill each other, then how can they not be deemed a threat?

This is what I mean about us expecting them to behave in a recognizable manner, and how dangerous an assumption that may be.

For all we know, our current situation could well be exactly what they were expecting when they began visiting us all those millennia ago. We may just be an interesting experiment.

And if it wasn’t their intention, then why haven’t they stopped all the bloodshed?

Neglect that leads to death is murder by another name, isn’t it?

Just my opinion.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
If I was an alien race I'd avoid us like the plague!

Look at the incredible mess we are now, we are excellent at destruction, can't live together after all these centuries, we still believe in hocus pocus religions and kill each other for what's in your pocket or even just for fun.

We would be just like a virus to their society in whatever way they were, if superior and hostile the clearly would be able to destroy us, if peaceful there would be those of us that attack them or try to use them for power.

We just can't help ourselves either way...

So, yes, I'd give us a wide berth and leave us to fester and fizzle out...

Such a shame, there's lots of us who would love to risk meeting them but simply not enough of us..

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
We should welcome them.
(I'm pretty sure there has already been alien contact anyways)

I'm not sure why, but I would hate seeing the governement shoot at spacecrafts because they think there is a threat :\

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
We should fear them they have travelled through space to get to us we haven't even been back to the moon speaks for its self. We like to see are selfs has intellectuals but where just barbarians who wipeout and destroy things if they have been watching us they wont want to make contact theyll just watch us destroy our planet then they will take over it while where fighting amongst our self s .

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I can see why Hawkings said it - Humans are the only species we have to base our specualtion on. If the aliens were anything like us, we're screwed. However, we are what we are because of choices, and at any point, the choices could have been made differently, creating a completely different society. So to say that 'we're bad, so aliens must be too' is not the way I'd look at it.

It's quite possible he is right, but I think we should welcome contact. Even if they are fearsom, war-mongerors, they won't do much to us that we're not doing to ourselves already. They way we're going, we're going to destroy ourselves pretty damn fast, so anything that changes that course should be welcomed....arguably. It's possible that a war with aliens would bring Humans together (if only to die
), and if they are friendly, then it can only mean good things for us.

So, for better or worse, I hope they come

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Beamish

Correct me if I am wrong, but all the places/times where aliens are believed by some to have been present were pretty peaceful places/times, weren't they? I think it is a bit much to say its all their fault. We make our own choices, after all - influenced or not.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I didn't take the time to read everyone's reply but I will take this time to join the debate since I already tried to express why we shouldn't fear the aliens and the thread was closed.

I think with the advancements of technology comes the advancement of consciousness. True it doesn't seem to hold true with us if you think about it but our civilization is young, our technology is still new and we haven't advanced far enough to actually see whether or not this theory works.

As our technology grows we start finding better ways to use it for good. To help take some of the strain off the Earth, to live more efficiently. Right now war drives or advancements and that should change once technology eliminates to needs for war, or even shortages.. Once that is accomplished then you should see technology being used together with nature and for our health. When that time comes then we start changing the way we think and old religions, wars, corruption & greed won't be necessary.

This is why I think advanced beings don't worry about petty things like war as we do in our early stages of development.

On top of all of that, the ancients didn't seem to have a problem with them.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I strongly believe that there are good and bad aliens. If we make contact with the wrong group, yes it could be very bad for us.

However, if we make contact with the right group, they can help us a great deal. They can help us become one race, instead of a very divided one, thus uniting the world. They can show us how to peacefully live on this planet, without killing it again. And, yes, they could show us new tech, but I don't think that would benefit us the most as far as what they can teach us right now. I've said it before and I'll say it again...we cannot go further into space until the planet unites and we become one race.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   

We should never fear anything. If aliens do exist they could have wiped us out many, many years ago. If there plan is to take us over, same thing, it would have been easier for them to do that with FAR LESS humans on the planet.

This is what I don't understand about most people, NO COMMON SENSE is used when they make statements. Use your head people. Who benefits from the fear mongering? THE ELITE!!!!!!

Fear not, welcome all.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join