It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Debate: Should We Fear or Welcome Alien Contact?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
O, and Vspec, we make inventions based on necessity. THe people who usually think they are going to invent something to " get something out of it" will usually spend a lifetime chasing pipe dreams. There are exceptions to this, of course, but necessity, either directly or indirectly, triggers technological advancement.

And I second the notion to stop bashing humanity. Humans are awesome just for the simple fact that we have the mouth to say so.

Say it with me now.....Humans are KickA$$!!!! Doesn't that feel better?

[edit on 4-5-2010 by Dwellewd]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by tauempire
THIS IS NOT A GAME PEOPLE!!n This is for the SPECIES....does this escape your NOTICE!!???

I like the above quote. It is right out of "Star Ship Troopers", one of my favorite movies and Heinlein books.

So I have a purely speculative question:

What if there is some sort of doomsday weapon that sentient life can create, and it is almost within our grasp? I am talking about some sort of device that can wipe out vast parts of the cosmos, induce a "big-bang", or whatever?

Suppose that this fact of physical law, which humanity is on the brink of discovering (and which will eclipse all future worries about nuclear weapons, for example) makes other advanced alien civilizations -- very -- nervous.

Suppose for example, that a secret and alien mandate exists -- told to the highest world leaders -- that Earth will be destroyed unless specific dictates are followed. Among those dictates: they can't tell the rest of the world that aliens exist. They would not want to take any chances, would they?

It makes me wonder.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Wow i never expected soo much thought provoking feedback.

I'm in a great thread here, lots of intelligent info

Thanks guys keep it up

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by vspec13

what would be the incentive to invent new things.....to become better??

the human mind works in 'risk/reward' mentality.

if there is no 'reward' why do anything?

if you say "for the greater good of humanity"......many humans would say "screw that...WHAT DO I GET OUT OF IT!!"

thats just what we are?

do you think humanity will live with being second best to aliens...no our very nature commands us to be the best...or we become envious and jealous.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by tauempire]

Your quick to point out the worst in humanity though. We survived by working together, not by acting exclusively with sole interests.

Of course......, the incentive is to better ourselves and the technologies we use. We are curious and adventure bound by default. Pushing a new frontier IS the reward, I just hope its not turned into a $$ factor out there as well.

See this is where im dishearten with humanities current path. Its pure #$^ing greed, & too many people in high places that process it at the expense of everyone else. From a young age we are conditioned by everything around us. so inadvertently of course we're perpetuating the system, its all we know. But things always change my friend. Its a cheezy saying, but the world is exactly what we make of it. If a concept is brought fourth into action, and a view supported by the masses, then it exists. Plain & simple

Lets take America & Australia for example. Your nation believes everyone has the right to bear arms, where as in Australia, due to different mentality, it s the total opposite.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by vspec13]

But humans are GREEDY. i dont think of it as being bad. thats were our thought process differs. everything stated that is our flaws is also our greatest strengths.Its allowed us to survive against EVERYTHING...so it must have done something right.

You are one of those that think we learn our 'nature' i just think we are NATURALLY this way. its been this way since the dawn of our species my friend.

you say the incentive is to better our species....and the new frontier is the reward...i say bullcrap. if someone came up to you today and asked you to do something for the better of humanity,what would you say" "of course!".

dont make me laugh...while you and others sit in your ivory tower and preach and deny our very nature...we all know the truth. you and others would say "how much"...just like the rest of us.

its been this way because thats the way our brains are wired. and it will never change unless you want some kind of mind raping cure.

look at our history...its nothing new...we have been acting the same way since FOREVER.

Humans have come in different shapes,sizes,color,orientation,etc. but the one thing we all have in commen is

1.)we are violent...get over it.

2.)we are selfish...get over it

3.)we are vain...get over it

4.) we are possessive and terratorial...get over it

if you guys would accept this....the way you view things would change.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by CAELENIUM

I pretty much implied what you are saying so I agree.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
great analogy from the most brilliant mind on earth. columbus came with muskets, rifles , canons and an army, the indians where throwing stone axes, arrows and knives made of flint. we have the capabilities to destroy the world 100x over so if they ever did manage to land and all hope was lost im pretty sure the stoneage option would come into effect: launch every nuke and leave the earth inhospitable for the next 1,000,000 years.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I don't understand why would a race so smart travel all this way to start war it just does not compute I think too many people here are caught up in movies.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by True-seer

Cautious.

If someone means you well they are usually above board, honest and open.

"They" have been sneaky and subvertive.

Anytime a more advance civilization has met up with a less technologically advanced civilization, the latter gets "assimilated and absorbed".

Law not only of earth but the universe.

I'm not saying to shoot first and ask questions later, but be cautious.

[edit on 5-5-2010 by ofhumandescent]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
tauempire,
I agree. I've noticed a lot of "humans are bad" syndrome related spewing and it strikes me as odd. If we destroy every living thing on this planet to include ourselves, whose to say that wasn't our destiny? I hope it's not but whose the authority on what we should or should not do?

There are plenty of imbalances in nature and I don't hear the animals saying that they should stop crapping in the rivers. Give me a break.
Have faith in mankind, in human nature. War, strangely, could be looked at as an extreme sport. Sports keep us competitive. Competition has kept us alive. ( or God has if you want to take the easy way out in the form of critical thinking )
Anyone who slams their own species should find their own gene pool to crap in. I want to believe that we're awesome

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Ok I am with you pretty much 100% , it makes me sick when i hear all this talk about the universe is love and that is the tool that we need to use. Don't get me wrong it's a wonderfull ideal and if we could all be like that then I do believe the world and the universe would be a better place. The ultimate goal I believe is to forget about war and work towards bettering yourself and your culture and growing as much as you can as a "being".
But I'm afraid the real logic that I see and believe is the quote " if you want peace , prepare for war" by Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus. You are right when you say that any other life out there will have at one point or still be a predator . It is survival of the fittest, it's the only way one species can gain dominance.
Now personally with the information that I've come across I'm not sold on evolution or god simply because we do not have all the facts and cannot trust the establishment to provide it to us , yes we may have evolved from microbes on this planet alone or we might be the result "alien genetics" that our ancestors thought of as gods . After all most of the main religions have the same back story just different versions and points of view.
And when I hear people talking about all the races of aliens , the GFL , the annunaki and the like , i do believe we have to snap out of it and look at the problems at hand. Our governments may all be working together or not , but we dont know and thats just it , they may be working for the good of humanity or to thier own agenda and we as a people have to nip that in the bud and start working together.
Our world has the resources and the ability to solve most of the problems on the planet and as (i believe) we are getting to a point where something cosmic could be about to happen we as a people need to unite and prepare . If we really are getting ready to take cosmic steps then we have to be ready for it not bickering between countries , and I'm not saying that alien life WILL be hostile but my friends we do need to be ready for if it is and be able to defend our planet . And if the governments and the elite are against the masses then people we need a fifth column that will stand up and say WE WILL NOT GO QUIETLY INTO THE NIGHT".

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
And for the record im not bashing humanity. Im just stating the obvious.Many of you are looking at things from pure moral and ethical glass's...which is fine because thats something uniquely human. I myself am a moral and ethical person..but i can turn the glass's off and think things logically.

If we were to meet aliens and they were hostile and they were going to exterminate us,but they would allow us to ask one question what do you think the question and answer would be?

would we ask "why".

if that is so...i could imagine a response.

In my imagination they would say what i have been trying to explain to you guys all along:

"Why does the black widow spider kill its mate? Why does a dog kill its child if it gets your human scent on it after birth? Why does the dog chase a car?Why does the orangutan eat its afterbirth? of course the afterbirth has minerals to keep the ape healthy...but does the animals know why they do it?no they just do it....just because"

[edit on 4-5-2010 by tauempire]

link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

You must also try and look at it from thier point of view. They know what effects this could have maybe thats why they havent showed themselves yet.

link   
No, we shouldn't fear aliens, but you have to keep an open mind about the posability of bad ones too. Also, be aware of what the government might be planing, like shooting at the aliens, scaring the masses for further power, showing us a fake jesus
, or just making a fake hologram and making the people worship something. We also really have to let go of our fear's, fear is a barrier and it tends to give you karma.

Great Thread.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Qonscious

Great post.

Guys i'm taking notes and keep it up have abour 35 opinions now

Taking notes is fun will update thread in a day or too with results of debate.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
to decode radio waves and television waves that have been transmitted from earth and it happened to reach an alien civilization, you would need a television and a radio. the odds that a species 1,000,000 years more technologically advanced has a panasonic in their rec room is remote. my television barely picks up local channels transmitted from a tower 3 km away. i doubt they are watching i love lucy. im pretty sure that seti has picked up signals that look like complete random nonsense but to an alien it might be a signal that makes some sort of tecnological device work. the aliens could have been able to detect the signals but have no idea what they are for and how to decode them.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

Sorry but i gotta pop this into the subject

Do you think all aliens could look human but such as greys and reptillian descriptions etc, could they be space suits lol.

Anyone got a view on this.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by johnmalkovich

You said it perfectly. I don't even need to read any of the other comments. Caution isn't discrimination or hatred or even offensive...it is just being smart.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
to decode radio waves and television waves that have been transmitted from earth and it happened to reach an alien civilization, you would need a television and a radio. the odds that a species 1,000,000 years more technologically advanced has a panasonic in their rec room is remote.

Where on earth did you come up with such a precise number such as this? How can you calculate odds on something that is not known to exists? Silly. Just downright silly.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by stephanies-chase
reply to post by johnmalkovich

You said it perfectly. I don't even need to read any of the other comments. Caution isn't discrimination or hatred or even offensive...it is just being smart.

And yet we cautiously beemed a signal out saying, " Here we are". Doesn't make sense to me.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Humans have come in different shapes,sizes,color,orientation,etc. but the one thing we all have in commen is

1.)we are violent...get over it.

2.)we are selfish...get over it

3.)we are vain...get over it

4.) we are possessive and terratorial...get over it

if you guys would accept this....the way you view things would change.

Yes, but there is something right about "working together", what people dont get is that the work together stuff works better when we do it to kill, invade, conquest.

In the end the wars are not fight between individuals, but between groups.

Thats why humanity is going to united when the aliens arrive, because is going to be the first time when we all will have a common enemy.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join