It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Debate: Should We Fear or Welcome Alien Contact?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Debate: Should We Fear or Welcome Alien Contact?

There is a debate going on inspired by the comments of Professor Stephen Hawking, who in a recent release, states that although he believes in the possibility of life elsewhere, he believes we should NOT attempt to contact them.

The reason is that the aliens may be hostile, and when they pinpoint our location, they could invade, and enslave us, much like some recent movies depict. He stated that:

"If aliens visit us, the outcome would be much as when Columbus landed in America, which didn't turn out well for the Native Americans." The entire article can be found at Encouraging Alien/UFO Contact a Bad Idea Says Stephen Hawking

Immediately after the release of Hawking's comments, the rebuttals began, with the most notable being from the Disclosure Project Director, Dr. Steven Greer, who stated:

"Hawking should refrain from stirring the war-mongering fear pot that attends all things alien." See all of Greer's comments at Disclosure Project - Response to Stephen Hawking Alien Comments.

Credits go to ufos.com for the wording of this article.

Now it's your turn. What do you think? Should we be fearful of alien contact?

My Personal View on this matter is that we should not Fear Contact, I'd welcome it with open arms. Thier is Several reason people may fear them but if they wanted to get rid of us, they would have already.

+15 more 
posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
More likely they should be afraid of us.

We are a violent, heavily armed, untrustworthy species.

[edit on 4/5/2010 by Gaderel]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by True-seer

Well, I suppose us Humans fear things that we dont understand.
Then you have the pioneers, the people that are curious about things who are willing to reach for the stars.

I think we should embrace the concept.
And not be fearfull.
We must have mutual respect, for one another.
I know people will say the usual -
"How can we respect Alien Life forms, when we dont respect the rest of humanity?"

My answer... Hope.
We can hope that if disclosure happend, people would stop being narrow minded and actually realise that were not alone, and that there is a vast sea of life out side our galaxy.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Gaderel

DONT FORGET TO FLAG I WANT EVERYONES OPINION

@Gaderel I actually agree with you thier, any species that is advanced as they are thought to be would have gone thru what we have at some point in thier evolution, wars everything else of that nature. But tha fact is like every other race has we must forget our differenced and Become one.

Once we have dont that we can push new technology we have to everyone for the wellbeing of everyone.

Everything these days is about profit, money this money that. Its not important.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I believe that contact with aliens (if they exist) could be detrimental to the human race even if it was not the alien's intent to harm.

We are of and part of this earth. Aliens would not be and could cause harm simply by being here. Like an invasive species overtakeing the indigenous species, they may not be good for us and could upset the balance of nature here on earth.

I also don't think you should assume aliens would be "friendly".

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Esrom Escutcheon Esquire

Yeh we do fear what we dont understand but a majority of us Humans would and are ready for contact.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by elaine

Everyones entitled to thier opinion but think of this.

As a Race we are dying, we are losing our values, we are destructive and we treat our planet like dirt. We need some type of intervention before its too late whether its good or bad.

People need to wake up and ask what it?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Fear contact? No! Welcome Contact? No! I believe the reason that the "Watchers" have not disclosed their agenda for being here is that they have not received the green light! The hiearchy which is called "principalities, powers, rulers of the darkness of this world, and spiritual wickedness" is being led by just that. They are highly deceptive. The ultimate deception in my opinion is to decieve the world into believing that they are our friends. blah! blah! blah!

I don't think forcing their way upon us, i.e. harvesting our DNA is for our best interest. Mutilating our animals and so forth and so on. I believe their is an end time agenda that is speeding up.

I for one will not be standing on a building when ET shows up with a sign saying, "WELCOME" I would hope to be on my knees say, "GOD HELP US!"

Opinions are like noses, everybody has one! This is my nose!

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Why an intervention? If the human race is that bad and becomes even worse then maybe we need to go extinct.

But if we manage to rise above our own destructiveness to evolve into a better species (which some of us still have hope for) then we survive by own merits and learn from our own mistakes.

To me that is the natural order of things.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
we should go boldly into the night.
we should not wait for our scientists (hawking etc..) and definitly not wait for our govt's approval. we should attempt to make contact with whatever is out there. establish trade if they want gold, cows whatever. set up a universal corporation that answers to no govt a completly civilian organisation. welcome the aliens, treat them better than how we treat ourselves and each other. show them (the aliens) we are not ants or pets. we are ready to join the galactic community. the dinosaurs that are the govt do not represent us, they only represent themselves. we want, no we need alien contact for us to evolve. our religions and our govt's hold us back from reaching our true potential as a species. well i say no more. if there are any alien lurkers reading this, help free us from prison planet terra. you may not need us but we need you.....

peace

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by gaurdian2012

Wow true words my friend.

I respect your post thankyou.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I welcome their arrival. It would show how space exploration should be done. I am sure they will not arrive in pathetic rocket-propelled capsules.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Larryman

Yeh i'd love to pilot the galaxy and make a name for myself

Show the universe humans are worth something.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Well I would fear contact. What would be their hidden agenda? It may not be food. Besides they may get sucked into some of our more idiotic governments like fox news, Crazy feminists, Farakhan, Putin, Limburger (have I insultent everyone??) etc.

Contact is to be avoiuded.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   

My Personal View on this matter is that we should not Fear Contact, I'd welcome it with open arms.

I used to think exactly the same way.

I’m afraid that, in my opinion, common sense now dictates we should proceed in wishing for any form of contact with extreme caution.

I’m not advocating the Hawking view that we should fear “them”, but caution should be exercised.

These are the simple facts; unless all of the completely unverified stories of benevolent Human-like aliens existing within the remit of a universal Federation are true (which I doubt), then we could well be dealing with an expansionist species whose culture, motivation, ethics and rationale – not to mention their technology - will have little comparison to anything we have experience of.

If we’re lucky…

If we’re not, then we may have to contend with any manner of extreme scenarios: sentient, silicon marauders out for colonization; conscious bacteria; colossal space-faring life-forms seeking a place to spawn their eggs…

I would love for the whole universal brotherhood to be real – who the heck wouldn’t want to live in a Star Trek universe?

Whether it’d be of a spiritual nature I just don’t know, and feel that we are almost intentionally building ourselves up for a fall by expecting “them” to hold dear the same values as we do.

If they did, that would surely indicate that they’d have been through extremely similar periods of formative history as us, and what are the odds on that happening?

When contact happens, I honestly think that we’ll be confronted with something far more psychologically and emotionally challenging than we ever expected, and possibly have to deal with a profoundly stimulating and demanding set of new circumstances.

It’s easy to say that we’re ready, but on what are we basing this preparedness on?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   

welcome them with open arms. they have much to show us.

we need to stop calling them aliens!!!
they are us. we are them. we are all one. we all come from the same source. they just are physically located in different places. just as you and i live in different places. they just happen to live a little bit further away.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Me personally, I would welcome them. Our global elites already treat us like 5th class citizens with just a hint of rights and freedoms enough to keep us stationed at our jobs. We're are economic slaves and life on this planet is getting worse. Worse case scenario; we just become somebody elses female dog.

link   
reply to post by Beamish

I'm basing my preparedness on my personal views to me i am ready. no matter what happens.

I see that were going down the proverbial toilet and well if thier malevolent aliens then were screwed if thiers no contact were screwed because of our actions and were we are heading.

Anything is better than our current situation. We can take a chance on aliens it may pay off it may not but if we do nothing were surely screwed as a race.

link   

Originally posted by Gaderel
More likely they should be afraid of us.

We are a violent, heavily armed, untrustworthy species.

[edit on 4/5/2010 by Gaderel]
here, here!

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by nltkn

Its like calling people who come from different countries like arabs,americans,english etc. Aliens come from unknown areas of space i think the name suits the facts.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join