It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cybernetics vs Powered Exoskeketon: Who's better

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Who's better: Powered Exoskeleton or Cybernetic Implants(both of those two technologies supplements muscle tissue with mechanical components except Cybernetics bonds that machines with the subjects)?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Both.

Nuff said.

But if i had to choose only one, cybernetic. definitely. Once you take the exo suit off, you are human.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by qwiksilva

Well i would go for Exo... I want to remain human, and be able to suit up once super strength is required, rather than being a permanent Borg type freak

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Well, I like Cybernetics. But then i also like Powered Exoskeletons.
But Which one is better?

Only one way to find out...FIIIIGGGHHTT!

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Considering I can barely work an Iphone, I don't think I'll be getting either.

It's gonna be interesting to observe the devide between techno freaks and real people in the years coming up!

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by masonicon

Who's better

Goku beats su-oh...wrong question, sorry.

Powered exoskeleton has the advantages that it doesn't require body modification, and it gives considerably more room to work with. For example, a 50-foot mech could be considered a powered exoskeleton.

Implants have the advantages that they can be conveniently "worn" at all times without getting in the way. For example, extra cranial storage, digital cameras in your eyes, and tranceivers to send/receive images/data on the fly without having to wear any sort of suit would be very convenient. Remember that implants don't need to be eternally visible.

So basically...depends on your goal. Major destruction? Powered suit. Daily life? Implants.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Cybernetics would be my choice but only if I can still feel the same pleasure from Sex! I would rather it not be bulky and visible also.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Honestly, each have their own attributes, but in my mind an exo-suit would reign supreme. An exo-suit provides better protection and instead of just enhancing the bodies normal muscular structure, I believe an exo-suit would completely amplify strength, endurance and agility over and above the human limitations of a cybernetic implant. Because after all, even with an implant your still only human....we hope. Speaking of that, I wonder if implants would slowly over-ride the human element, kind of like the Plasmids in the Bio-Shock video games. Now granted we are talking about two different entites but...still it seems that an implant could slowly take over a persons body. Especially the mind, and what the mind believes the body achieves.

On to exo-suits. The very difference is what sets them aside in my mind. Simply because with an exo-suit YOU are completely in charge hopefully 100% of the time and the very fact that you CAN take the suit on and off is a huge difference. Take a look at some fictional exo-suits like the Ironman/War Machine suits, any of the MechWarrior walkers and even Master Chief from the Halo series. All offer capabilites that an implant absolutely can not, including armor plating, a varied array of sensors and optics as well as incredible defensive and offensive capabilities and in some cases rapid travel modes and even flight capablities. Now granted not all of the exo-suits I used for examples have all of the capabilities I have listed but each have their own respectively.

Granted, I choose to think of Exo's in a military role more so than a civilian role but there are uses I would imagine. Actually now that I think of it, Exo's would be better suited to battlefield situations where as implants would be much more suited to civillian roles; i.e fire and rescue personnel, law enforcement, medical staff and even everyday citizens.

But, if it came down to a one on one fight between an individual with an exo-suit and an individual with implants, I pick the suit hands down. If weaponry is used the suit has the advantage of armor, speed/flight and exponentially increased strength. Even if weaponry is NOT used, the individual in the exo-suit could simply rip an implanted human apart limb from limb.

Another thought is maybe a combination of the two. Possibly a cybernetically controlled exo-suit that instead of requiring physical commands, it would operate using commands from your mind.

Either way...definitely some interesting technology no matter what.
But then again...who knows?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I am sooo loking forward to completely pimp myself when I am a grandpa (I am 28 atm). When I am 70+ years old I want to have bionic implants and run with 40+ mph through parks hehe.

On a more serious note, I agree that cybernetics will be more of a consumer product, while Exoscelletons will be more usefull in industrial or military environments.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Here comes a new challenger: Pseudo-scientific Force Field that will Challenges both Powered Exoskeleton and Cybernetics Implant where Force Field represents Scrin, Powered exoskeleton Represents GDI, and Cybernetic Implant Represents Nod.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by masonicon]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
here's a clip from an awesome movie featuring powered exoskeletons and more

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muckster
reply to post by qwiksilva

Well i would go for Exo... I want to remain human, and be able to suit up once super strength is required, rather than being a permanent Borg type freak

Sometimes, Cyborgs can be more resistant to Certain damages that those with Powered exoskeleton(inside their armors)

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by masonicon
Who's better: Powered Exoskeleton or Cybernetic Implants(both of those two technologies supplements muscle tissue with mechanical components except Cybernetics bonds that machines with the subjects)?

What job do you need done?

If it were for war, manual labor, ect... a powered exoskeleton..

If to replace lost parts, cybernetics. I think we will have both in the future. As we already prtty much have exoskeletons. Although they lack implementation this far.

top topics

join