It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP Asks Fisherman to Sign Legal Waiver

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   

BP Asks Fisherman to Sign Legal Waiver

news.yahoo.com

Oil giant drafts then recalls contract to have workers waive right to legal recourse in exchange for jobs
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4-5-2010 by ventian]

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 5/4/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Quite disturbing....they are trying to get off as cheaply as they can, via means of screwing anyone they can. Fishermen caught the wording (thank God) and BP dropped the waivers. How in the world are these thoughts even justified? Can anyone defend this company right now? Some of these fishermen can't even read and they were essentially signing their lives away for the promise of work while they couldn't fish. I still say give the CEO life in prison. This is arson on a whole different level.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 5/4/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Thanks for the additional details.

I also found news of this yesterday and some of the underhanded manipulation concerning these waivers. It is posted on this thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

It really takes a lot of nerve to expect others to clean up your mess.

Not only that, according to news sources, this is a hazmat job and these volunteers will only receive 4 hours training when the course is supposed to be 40 hours.

They are taking advantage of the goodness of people.

First they ruin your environment, screw your future and that of your children, and then expect you to clean it up without pay and without care if you get sick or hurt while doing it.

Edit to add: It was not exactly clear to me, but I think your video indicated that in exchange for (paid?) clean-up work, the fishermen were waiving their rights to any other claims or claims of damages, loss of income, etc. due to the oil spill decimating their livlihood. In other words, they would be agreeing that whatever they were paid for cleaning up the mess would be accepted as total compensation for their loss of livlihood.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by Alethea]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

I agree. What is sick is they are raging capitalists one week (got no problem with that) and when something bad happens they want the community to come help or (communism). It is disgusting.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ventian

How in the world are these thoughts even justified? Can anyone defend this company right now?

Give it a few minutes. I am sure someone will come in here and make up every excuse in the book...

It always happens lol.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Well I can't really say I'm surprised by this revelation. I mean common, they are an oil company after all and they aren't well known for their scruples. Yeah it's disgusting and not giving them proper hazmat training would be a violation of state law and I'm sure federal as well?

I have a feeling the fisheries will be down for a while. Especially all the filter feeding types(crabs, oysters, muscles, etc). Also as an article in another thread pointed out that the Atlantic Tuna are spawning in the area of the Gulf worst affected by the slick. The eggs and small fry depend on floating plants for protection and the oil maybe too toxic for their little bodies. That alone could devastate that population. A whole cycle that doesn't reproduce could be very bad.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:49 AM
link   
i totally agree

these CEO's aren't human beings
they're corporate robots without conscience
or heart.

One day they will get what they deserve.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   

The eggs and small fry depend on floating plants for protection and the oil maybe too toxic for their little bodies.

I wasn't even aware of this. That is very bad indeed. The only thing I had heard about was the sea turtles coming up for food. I guess many species do the same thing though. As I said, arson on a whole different level.

these CEO's aren't human beings
they're corporate robots without conscience
or heart.

One day they will get what they deserve.

I keep waiting and getting screwed by these guys so I hope you are right. With the way they run D.C. though, I ain't holding my breath.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   
It's Slick.
Seriously though.. I am not shocked by this behaviour. There are many instances where big corporations that poison the environment try to weasel out of paying up. Hell, whole Hollywood Movies have been made about it. It is disgusting but not surprising.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by ventian
Some of these fishermen can't even read and they were essentially signing their lives away for the promise of work while they couldn't fish.

The promise of work?

Nah, BP. You can componsate these people for their loss of income, and let them sit down and enjoy it.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   

The promise of work?

Nah, BP. You can componsate these people for their loss of income, and let them sit down and enjoy it.

As I understand it they were coming up and telling them to sign here for work, while putting in the sick wording. Very disturbing that this is even allowed. If it hadn't been caught, god knows what would have happened.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Shakespeare's quote from Henry VI: "THE FIRST THING WE DO, LET'S KILL ALL THE LAWYERS." ...

With legalese like that in those waivers and the trap it creates for those that are victims, this quote is more than accurate!

Zindo

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
BPs board of directors reads like a who's who list of global elitists, Trilaterals and Bilderbergers. This is what happens when you have no accountability and governments are merely a lesser division of your global empire.

www.bp.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

By the way did they just drop this guy from their list of governers?
en.wikipedia.org...

Oh I guess his throat cancer interfered with the implementation of the master plan. Notice how some of these guys are involved with climate change politics, the EU dictatorship, the Bilderbergers etc.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I wonder if BP will pay me and offer me work, after all I am a fisher of men!

Chances are the work they are going to offer them is extracting the oil from the water so they can then seperate out all the water and marine life and then sell it and refine it!

What a world.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

I believe this tactic was also tried by Exxon in Alaska but the fishing industry didn't fall for it. I can't find the old article but during the law suits that followed, Exxon used the fact that no waivers were filed or signed against the fishing industry saying it made their ability to secure proper insurance payments difficult. As of the present time, no major payments or settlements have been paid to the fishing industry by Exxon. Very few have been compensated at all!

Zindo

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

The Powers that Be control the court system, they represent a superclass of criminal that plan their crimes well, and so specifically, that they actually get legislation passed in advance to make those precise crimes legal. Very much like the highly toxic dirivitive debt/credit swaps that Wall Street used to so many people's detriment.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
I wonder if BP will pay me and offer me work, after all I am a fisher of men!

And Caesar seems to have a reputation for taking the money (livlihood, bread, etc.) out of the poor little fishes mouth....

(another parable brought to light)

new topics

top topics

join