It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Cost of Conspiracy and Truth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I'm not sure where to post this - seeing as it has to do with conspiracies in general and the effect of such on people's lives, I figured General would be best. Mods please move if it is incorrect. Thanks.

All my life I have been interested in conspiracy theories and the search for the truth. I have kept a mild hate for our government establishments and most of all I have held opinions that did not conform to the mass ideals.

However, it is only within the last year or two that I have started become vocal about my opinions to those who would listen. I had a few friends who seemed to be interested in the same things - one who was adamantly against even talking about it. My two friends who were interested usually treaded lightly on the subject while my anti-conspiracy friend lived in a "flowers and gumdrop" reality that "nothing is wrong and even if it is - we can't do anything about it", the usual defeatist attitude.

Anyway, I saw my interest, my passion, and my diligence on the subject as a personal choice and I knew my limits of who to talk to and about what. I never went around trying to force people to believe anything but when it came to my close friends and family, I did occasionally chime in during the main stream news hour with a bit of "truth" to satisfy my craving.

About a month ago I was watching a speech by Ron Paul when my defeatist friend began to alarmingly attack me. He accused my interests of ruining his life and started raging on about how I was the won living in a fantasy world because of my search for the "truth". The fight escalated to near physical confrontation after he allowed himself to personally insult me, however, I stood my ground and because of that - a 10+ year friendship came to an end.

Later I tried to get advice from my mother about the situation as any confused son would do, and instead of parental advice I was chastised. She decided that it was a good time to claim that my interest in conspiracy theories and my outspoken political views were the reason that I was unemployed. As I tried to explain to her as well about the differences I, along with many people in the conspiracy world hope to make (particularly in figuring out TRUTH) she went into a defensive stance and would no longer listen to anything I had to say.

I dregged on, now down a friend and at odds with my own mother and just last week I had realized that another friend was not showing up as often as usual. I had blamed it on him acquiring a new job and so I called him to find out what exactly was going on. I was met with the last thing I expected in the fact that he told me that he was intentionally avoiding me due to my "fear of the government controlling my life". At first I thought it was a joke but he soon confirmed that he was serious. This was another friend of 10+ years and one who always looked up to me as a herald of conspiracy information. We couldn't go a month without him asking me to pull up a new video or documentary on something in the conspiracy world and here - our of nowhere he did this.

So here I am, in a matter of months watching my friendships and family life crumble thanks to my interests - interests that I have held for the past 8 years. I don't even speak of them too often besides to those who ask - yet somehow I am demonized for my interest in gaining knowledge.

I guess what I am getting at is the cost of conspiracy theories and the world we are a part of here on ATS.

*Has anyone else had a friend or family member completely disown them based upon their interests?

*Does anyone have any advice on how best to handle such situations?

*If you paid a price to search for the truth - what was the cost?

Hopefully we can have some interesting discussion on the topic at hand.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   
I know how you feel.

But I am a very rude jerk to people who talk down on conspiracy theories or truth seeking. I try my best to obliterate their brains. I suppose I am exceptionally cunning because I can out argue even their best attempts at ridicule.

I actually have no friends anymore (my choice not theirs) lol. I just live with my wife and kids, and don't know anyone else these days. My wife is into this stuff too so she is always open minded and smart.

She is not very nice though, but hey thats women lol.

You said you were unemployed. Here I want to help you get a easy- and interesting job.

Go to Elance.com, make an account.

Take the tests and set up your profile etc.

Begin "bidding" on jobs that people post.

You can do anything from programming, website design, to writing articles on conspiracies. Depends on what employer you find and if you can beat the competition for the job.

You get 10 "free bids" per month. Anything more than that they charge you $$$ for. And the website will take like 6% of your paycheck as their "fee".

But hey, its a great place to get work and stay at home all day typing on your computer.

Right now I have a job writing E-books for some guy.
Topics :: "Top 100 Conspiracy Theories of All Time"
"Top 50 Conspiracy Theorists "
and "How to Research Conspiracies"

I have 30 days to finish it and am being paid exactly 1,000 $ US.

It was so easy to beat the competition for this job, because they don't actually know anything about conspiracies.

I have also done work for travel agencies, various marketers, and even writing World of Warcraft guides (and other video games).

There is so much work to get on the Internet.

I really hope you give it a shot, I know you will love the work. Getting paid to do what you LIKE doing!!!

Good luck Gwydionblack! Ignore the naysayers and check out ELANCE for some freelance work!

[edit on 4-5-2010 by muzzleflash]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
While on the quest for truth one must not forget that life still continues with all its whirls and twirls. I.e, don't forget to breathe.

Hope it all works out for you. A friendly suggestion, take some time away from this site and do some tai-chi... that crap will clear you right up.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Man,can I relate to what you just said! On top of that,I have the added Christian angle,about this all tying in with the anti-christ,the end-times,and the need for salvation,and you can imagine how popular I am!

Yep,my own mother flat out told me,"I like my news better!",when I tried to tell her that things weren't as good as the media would like you to believe. I've only recently coaxed her back into wanting to talk to me again. Actually,I had accused her of being shallow,that there was more to life than our petty,day-to-day concerns,and people need to know these things! It makes our temporary struggles pale in comparison,in my opinion.

I even reminded her of my interests in Criminal Justice,Sociology,and Theology when I was going to college,and that this wasn't some new "phase" I was going through. We used to have long,drawn out conversations on the way things are all the time,and now that I have way more answers than questions,I feel like so much of what I know is going to waste. It has made me more sad than frustrated.

I'm also confused why more people aren't interested in these subjects.

Bless her heart,her attitude is,"If it's meant to be,it's meant to be!

Friends,...same problem,to one degree or another.

Fortunately,my spouse "get's it" and we see eye to eye on everything that is happening. What a blessing that is!

But I definetly feel your anghst.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
I WILL YELL THIS SO ALL SEE AND HEAR

YOU ARE NOT ALONE

YOU ARE NOT CRAZY

YOU HAVE NOT GONE DONE THE MEMORY HOLE

Ive lost afew friends I did like after my interests in this stuff took hold about a year ago. I always read and was studying history.

My only fault is I read and look for truth when others like to be spoon fed BS.

I like you, have lost most of said friends, and what I realize is this... They were never my friends.

We remain loyal through the end and in the end, we remain in truth

In 100 years, Id rather be known for a man that stood my ground and knew what was reality when most sadly did not.

Dont worry my fearless friend... This is your sacrifice... It will, I promise you, not seem worth it for some time... BUT IT IS

opinions anyone can have and they can be about anything, but facts, facts remain universal and true.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

I actually have no friends anymore (my choice not theirs)

I can relate to that,too! Some people I considered to be friends turned out to be more shallow than I'd thought. Their indifference to the state of the world,and our own country in particular,I find alarming. I mean,I know when to back off on the Bible stuff,so it's not like I'm really pushy about that part of it. I try to weave it in to show how I deal with things,why I'm able to cope,but if they aren't interested,I let it go.

Seriously,with all that's happening,I admit,it's hard to believe! Even harder to accept and go on,but that's what life is about. We have to adapt to new things,we have to keep our eyes open,and those who see the danger coming are supposed to sound the alarm,right?

I like to think some things we've said sink in anyway,and when the time comes that it can't be ignored any longer,they'll think back and say,"Oh,I remember someone telling me something about this!" And if we're still around,maybe we can talk more from there. Who knows?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Also, for what its worth, Im your friend.

RIDE OR DIE

(my dad being SpecOps and mom Naval Intel, they support my interests fully, as they know way more than I ever will...)

And the wifey truly knows whats real now too.

Thankfully.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by Goethe]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   
gwydionblack, sir, brother, friend...understand that the search for personal truth ALWAYS involves alienation, separation, and sometimes the stretch or severing of ties with other people.

I lost a life long friend pretty much the same way, and after reading other comments it seems to be a widely spread consequence of going against the grain and looking for something other than the answers and explanations found in tabloids and television reportage.

I could say a lot, but for fear of you skipping over a lengthy screed I'll simply quote the late great Hunter Thompson.

"Be your own man, play your own game, and don't ask for anyone's seal of approval."

You will attract others with like-minded pursuits and interests, given time and open-mindedness. Don't expect others to think as you do...its the beauty of human-intellect that we reflect on the world differently.

Peace, and keep your chin up.

Milleresque.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   
well I'm pretty much with everybody else.

And u guys that have supportive wives
are the luckiest MF's in the world. You
guys better check her birth certificate
to make sure she's not some alien sent here
to help you transition to another dimension
of consciousness.

My ex-wife and I started having problems
which has lead to a divorce, basically because
I told her that I doubted the OS of 9/11.

That's what got it all started. Then it ballooned
even further as I started diving into other conspiracies.
i started sharing info with her and she had the same
attitude as some of ur friends. She no longer wanted
to associate with me.

She was happy being a zombie and didn't want to be
woke from her slumber. My other family members feel
the same way.

I had a conversation with my mom a month or so ago
about the impending collapse of the monetary system
and martial law and she thought I needed to be committed
into an institution for the insane. I don't discuss my viewpoints
with her anymore.

However, my dad is more susceptible to my ideas as he
has a close friend who works in the prison system who
feeds him tidbits of info from time to time. But it's like
a hush hush type thing that you mention in secret. Else
somebody will put u in a straight jacket.

I did print off some info about GMF from Monsanto and
gave it to him cuz it directly relates to him cuz he has
some farmland that he works on the side. And that article
cleared up some things for him that he had wondered
about, so it wasn't all bad.

However, I don't have many personal contact friends.
i do have lots of online friends and I have a girlfriend
that I see about once or twice a month due to scheduling
conflicts with work as she doesn't live near me. She has
taken an interest in what I have learned from ATS. I
have not figured out whether she really believes this
stuff or is just putting up with it to pacify me and my
interests. But she does listen and that means a lot.

ATS has changed my life, some for good and some for worse.
However we have to make a choice as to whether we
want to wonder around in darkness or whether we
decide to take that red pill and see how far the rabbit
hole really goes. I have taken the red pill, so I cannot
go back.

I walk around town or a shopping mall and I just watch
people sometimes. I see a public that is asleep.
As happy as they look, I often wonder .....
am I the one who is really having the nightmare?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

I walk around town or a shopping mall and I just watch
people sometimes. I see a public that is asleep.

Sometimes I like to pretend I'm from another planet,sent here to observe the human species!

I guess you could say ATS is like a whole different world!

I thought the Health Care issue would open up some good avenues for conversation,but even that didn't have the effect I thought it would. It's sort of like people are in a trance!

I'm glad this subject came up. I wanted to comment to your post as well as give this thread a bump. I'm sure there are lots of others who have experienced this.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   
You have paid a heavy price , but have you ? What price to you put on freedom ? You are not alone friend . You have many friends here . Chin up .

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
lmao

why do I feel like
I've just been to an ATS Anonymous Meeting ????

Hi, my name is boondock
and I'm an ATS Addict !!!

hahahaha

is this our group therapy session ???

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Remeber there are some ingenious yet subtle mind programming types of technuiqes that could make sure your friends and family act that way to the truth.

Its best to be gentle and very calm when discussing such issues. You dont want to turn them off by saying too much too soon. Give them just a tiny slither of your research that is undisputable and will make them think, dont get tempted to go off on a ramble outlining the big picture. I think its best to get them to do their own research, because then they will tailor make their own research to their own incrimental paradigm strectching. Once youve got them interested enough to be on the net browsing then chances are they will take themselves all the way, when they get stuck or perplexed you will be there to gently guide. Dont tell them your trying to convince them to research, just give them titbits and leave them hanging or something, im sure you'll think of a way. Often ramming info down people throats will just turn em off for longer, for some people their ego means only they can awaken themselfes.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Well I guess I can say I am certainly not alone. It seems the quest for truth and stepping out of the trance that society in leads to dismay for everyone. Thus is the cost of it all.

One thing I failed to mention is my family no longer trusts what I have to say. I was never really outspoken about any subject except for 9/11 and because of that subject they began to think of me as crazy I suppose. Anyway, because of that they no longer take anything I say seriously - they dismiss it as my "conspiracy BS" each time. It is kind of sad really.

I guess all people are different. Some are destined to open their eyes while others will remained trapped in their worlds for eternity. I am kind of glad that I am not alone in the scenario, but at the same time I find it disheartening that we could be so demonized and admonished for seeking TRUTH of all things. Most of us are just normal people who see past the facade of this world and only wish to seek what else lies beyond.

It truly is a shame but with any luck, as conspiracies continue to move more mainstream and continue to be revealed as facts rather than theories, hopefully our reputations can speak for themselves and in the future, at least some people will be able to look back and say "Man, those guys were right all along."

We can always dream.

new topics

top topics

join