It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oil Slick Threatens 'Frightening Impacts'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Oil Slick Threatens 'Frightening Impacts'

news.bbc.co.uk

What makes this region ecologically special is the unusual patterns of land and sea conjured into existence by the lazy and variegated exit of the mighty Mississippi into the Gulf.

Here lie about 25% of US wetlands - areas rich with life, where human occupancy is low, and birds and other animals can thrive...

Related News Links:
California's Schwarzenegger turns against oil drilling

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Oil Spill TRIPLED In Size In 3 Days (VIDEO)
Mother Of All Gushers Could Kill Earth's Oceans
Oil Spill Could Cost USA More Than $14 billion
Iran offers help in fighting Gulf of Mexico oil leak

[edit on 4/5/10 by Astyanax]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I know we've been discussing several aspects of this on ATS, but there doesn't seem to be much talk about the actual environmental damage being caused. I know it's early days yet and people are more concerned about limiting the damage, but there are implications for threatened species, habitat loss and possibly even extinction. Also, anyone with good photos from wetlands and other habitats down there could post them to show what is actually being threatened. Only once the well is capped can the true struggle to save what can be saved commence.

The article contains quotes from independent authorities who claim that, ecologically speaking, the damage may not be as bad as it has been from some past supertanker spills. However, with some news sources claiming the well is leaking 100,000 barrels per day, and the oil slick now thousands of square miles in extent, the prospects for wildlife and the environment don't look good.

It's made Schwarzenegger think twice about drilling off California, though; proof that it's an ill spill that blows nobody any good.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4/5/10 by Astyanax]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Yeah it's not looking good. Until they know exactly how much oil is coming out, these estimates are useless. By all accounts it sounds like they hit a very high pressure pocket and it destroyed the most advanced thing man has made for this very task.

I think it's a big one and that's why the media is hush on this one since the NYC event. I don't think the 2 are related but I'm sure BP is counting their blessings that it took place. Takes a little heat off of them.

I said in another thread that if you like certain seafoods that come from that area then get them now and buy a big freezer. Prices are going to go through the roof and who knows how long fishing will be shut down?

The drilling of another few holes to take the pressure off is going to take anywhere from 30-90 days. And at the depth they were drilling I would say more like 90 days. But what if this thing is more pressure than they've ever seen before and were way off on those calculations. I've always wondered what the deposits down there act like since they are under considerably more pressure from the weight of the water and 30000 feet of rock sitting on top of these deep pockets of gas. But at these depths wouldn't the mantle be a lot hotter also versus a shallower well. Would this not boil the oil and gas in there creating an ever lasting pressure source? It would cause the oil and gas to expand. The oil companies already due this with steam to get the last few drops they can out of them.

And why is APRIL 20 such a significant date? My oldest sister was born then and so was Hitler. Striking the similarities!

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by DEEZNUTZ

I said in another thread that if you like certain seafoods that come from that area then get them now and buy a big freezer. Prices are going to go through the roof and who knows how long fishing will be shut down?

That's a pretty self centered attitude. Such a disaster and your main concern is hoarding seafood. Pitiful.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by Alethea]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

WTF?

That's all you got from my post. I don't eat seafood from there anyway. I was trying to illustrate the devastation it's going to cause.

And why the hell to you have to resort to insults?

Oh I forgot that's the ATS way for some!

DENY IGNORANCE MY FRIEND!

PS I shouted on purpose so you might hear it.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   

That's a pretty self centered attitude. Such a disaster and your main concern is hoarding seafood. Pitiful.

It isn't self centered, it is smart. Many people eat food from the gulf. We are omnivores, remember? Prices are indeed going to go through the roof, it is called supply and demand. No need to say something that is stated logically, "pitiful." People (me included) have to think this way if they don't have much money.

As for the thread, you are correct. The environment is going to be greatly hurt and if it hits the shores, the damage will be much worse. If they can't stop/contain it in the next week or so, I predict complete catastrophe in that region.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by ventian]

new topics

top topics

join