It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Know your nieghbors.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Its my thinking that in certain SHTF situations your world will get very local.
Many of my friends who live in other towns don't know their neighbors at all.
I think knowing who lives around you makes sense in normal times but will really pay off when it all goes south.
By making a point to meet people in my area I now know that the lady across the street is a nurse, the guy behind me is a mechanic, the old hippie couple up the street raise chickens.There is even a heart surgeon. All possible allies.
On the other hand I also know who the drunks and deadbeats are, possible trouble.
Make alliances when times are good and you'll be one step ahead.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
i know my neighbors will make for tasty food, if things get bad.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
my neighbors are cool except next door.... long story there but they hate my music lol,

So I have lots of cooking exp and I even once super glued someones wrist back together, damn im too good! :p
my family has chickens also and plenty of cats...

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
The problem is you can't trust them when TSHTF. Unless they are on the same page as you with preparations then you are wasting your time. Once they know you have food and supplies you will become a target. People will do things they never dreamed of when they are starving or see thier kids starving.

What you say I have guns etc... well you gotta sleep sometime...

You need to know people very well and they need to be on the same page prep wise. Many will say they are but have every excuse in the book on why they can't afford to prepare. What it boils down to is the sad fact that there are very few people in this world you can really trust when things come unglued and they are usually either family or long time friends and in many cases you can't even trust them.

I know this is not what most want to hear and it sucks but it is reality, and I denied it for a long time myself but after trying to make alliances for years I finally had to accept the truth. Some might be lucky and have things work out but the best chance is with those who have already been working together for years to be prepared. And even in those cases you will have someone who freaks and betrays the group or does something stupid when things get tough...

Sorry to be the wet blanket but there it is. And even I still don't want to believe it.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 04:21 AM
link   
The problem here is that I do know most of the people living around me and I prefer to avoid them if at all possible...

I get into enough run-ins with the authorities all by myself; I don't need their assistance.

TheAssoc.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

I agree with your points if were talking about an end of the world scenario. In that case all bets are off. But in a limited crisis like an earthquake or major hurricane working together only makes sense.
I'm also not saying to tell your neighbors about all the preps you have. Never show your cards in that respect. Become a good actor. If theres a relief food drop and everyone else is going you better go to even if you dont have to.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by DucTape

Here's a funny thing...
the wife and I bought a town house here in Albuquerque, large complex, and while in passing I know my neighbours, I don't really know them... friendly waves, passing howdy... that's all...

Now we bought a mini farm up in SE Kansas... only been there a few times to fix the old place up and take some of our junk up... Yet already I know more about my only neighbour there than I ever did the ones back here in ALb... Nice folks too... dad works as a mechanic his daughter a divorced mother of two, she likes to come over for coffee and we talk while her two little kids play in the back yard with my granddaughter... her dad and I already have plans for fishing this summer... God I love country folks... whole different level then city people...

8 more days until the final move there, cant wait...

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Post-Katrina, obviously, there were alot of survival threads on here about dealing with emergencies. One poster mentioned that he had worked hard to get to know his neighbors, get them prepared, etc...

Once the huricane hit, everyone was banging on his door looking for water, use of his generator, and they had nothing to offer in exchange.

I have nothing against knowing your neighbors, just be real careful how much you tell them about your stockpiling or prepardness plans until you are confident that they will be an asset to you, either long or short term.

Also to note, its great knowing who is around you, who has the chickens, a private well, whatever. Bear in mind, TSHTF, they are going to be looking out for #1, not you or your well being, ensure you have items to barter with that they will be wanting, or no eggs for you.

As far as your neighbors tasting good, I think Ill stick with my canned moose and yak.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by DucTape
reply to post by hawkiye

I agree with your points if were talking about an end of the world scenario. In that case all bets are off. But in a limited crisis like an earthquake or major hurricane working together only makes sense.
I'm also not saying to tell your neighbors about all the preps you have. Never show your cards in that respect. Become a good actor. If theres a relief food drop and everyone else is going you better go to even if you dont have to.

Well there may be a better chance if it is a regional disaster and people know it is temporary. Still read the post above about Katrina. You just can't trust folks you haven't known a long time and they have to be on the same page as you. As the above post tells it they act like they are preparing but didn't do a damn thing. They needed tickect to the game or concert instead of food storage. Or a new xbox instead of a generator. Their thinking is I can get that later when I have more money which is never because they are burning it on thier life style.

I know and have seen it time and time again. I also know from myself sometimes doing the same thing putting preps off cause I think I can do it later and I got plenty of time. I believe time is much closer to running out so we can't afford to put things off anymore. Time to shore up your preps and get all that stuff you have been putting off in favor of your current lifestyle. If nothing happens soon well then you are prepared and don't have to worry about it as much

And Like the other poster said better to be in the country of you can. People are much more small town minded and looking out for each other. Still if you haven't been there long term hard to trust fully in the SHTF scenario. And also plenty of country folks are not prepared either and on the government dole too or think local services will always be there. And you being the "outsider" just might justify in some minds trying to take from you whne they are desperate.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Good move...good luck. You will like it all the better when you live there. We made the move over 10 years ago and love it. Just about everybody here is friendly and good neighbors. Lots of resources to share at the skill level, and everybody here gardens and puts up or hunts or farms...no need to worry on that end. Plus, everybody here in NC country has guns. Its a part of life here.

We have many connections fown at the store, at church, and just down the road. Despite what some may think, the whites and blacks here get along just fine. We help each other on our farms, trade with each other, hunt, ride horses, and believe it or not...there are black red necks.

Anyway, we'll be just fine. We have survived Hurricane Fran and Floyd, drought, snow and ice storms, and I reckon we will survive some terrible political event... can't say as much for the occupation army.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Again i agree with you especially the feeling of time running out.
Ive spent the last few months trying to tie up loose ends.

On a side note whats the picture on your avatar?

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
It used to be the people who didn't talk to their neighbors were suspicious, now it's the people who do. I've lived about 19 places in as many years and in that time my family has been friendly with roughly none of our neighbors, nor our neighbors with each other. In the suburbs it just doesn't seem to happen anymore.

On a survivalist note, I hate to say it but if you're even of the mentality to be considering SHFT-preparedness, you probably might as well speak a different language than most people you're likely to encounter. Their language is work-buy-consume-die, tomorrow being just like today and today being just like yesterday is a belief they both live and die by. As one or two people have mentioned, with such people it's a bad idea to mention any resources you have unless you're keen to share them - or maybe be killed for them - when the time comes.

top topics

join