It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do White people deserve to have pride in their race?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Why is it consider racist to be White and proud. But if your not White, then you can have all the pride you want. It's annoying seeing other Whites get all upset at other White's having pride and calling them Nazis.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Pride leads before a fall. I think we should all respect each other as humans, and let pride go out the window. Appreciate our accomplishments before us, but do not pride ourselves for it.

We do not choose who we are born to. Appreciate culture, but to not make yourself better than another for it.

Ama

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I think anybody that has "pride" in their race is a douche bag. I don't care if they are White, Black, Brown, or purple. If you are going to be proud, be proud for something you accomplished. Do not be proud just because you came out of the womb being able to trace your ancestry to a particular continent or nation.

However, I think its important for everybody not to be ashamed of their race. Unfortunately, members of all racial groups seem to be ashamed of their race. American and European societies have identified the shame minorities may feel in their race and are trying to take measures so minorities will not feel shame. Unfortunately, they are not doing the same for white people.

White people do not need to be ashamed of themselves. While some white people did bad things like engage in the slave trade, it does not mean that all white people are bad or that all white people should feel guilty.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Pride in ones self and family goes a lot further then pride in ones race , no ?

Is it ok for white people to have pride in there race traditions , sure can we say , Saint Patties day ?

Who says a white person has to be a raciest to have pride in there racial traditions ?

Myself , I personally believe thats false NAZA propaganda backed by nothing but bad examples .

[edit on 3-5-2010 by Max_TO]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

I understand your argument. I find the same thing true especially in North America. It seems as if in an attempt to repay certain races for the terrible things white Europeans have done in the past, we put ourselves down and subdue our own standing to make way and allow others of different races to assert their own "pride".

I don't believe we need to put ourselves down in order to let others put themselves up so to speak. To be rather honest, I get tired it when non-Caucasians are allowed to accuse others of racial profiling, yet when white people do the same, we are called racists. This contradiction does indeed exist and needs to be corrected.

I agree that we need to respect all races and that we are all racially equal. However, I do not believe in affirmative action or letting one race have special access to education, jobs, etc, just for the sake of them being a specific race. That is not equality. That is segregation.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I'm not trying to turn this in to a sporting event. Where many people love one team and others love the other. It's just where's our White history month? Whites have been treated bad as well. Unless everyone does not give one flying FUDGE about it. Someday the White lion will roar and people will stop and show respect. Not worship! But will have respect for us. BTW I'm mixed.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I have heard this expression; "pride comes before the fall", but I find it to be deceptive, as it is hubris that comes before the fall, and the clear intent to demonize pride seems to be a part of an agenda that relies upon empty platitudes. That said, pride is a sense of accomplishment, and it is hardly accomplished to be born a certain race. The racial component of each person is less compelling that what those people do. It matters not what color of skin a Micheal Jordan has, when he is flying with ease across a basketball court, and it mattered just as little that Larry Byrd was white, even if he did come off as looking more awkward than Magic Johnson, both were great players and the color of their skin was secondary to their remarkable gifts.

If one truly wants to know pride, they must earn it, and if through earning this pride, they can avoid the pitfalls of hubris, then it is pride well earned. No amount of platitudes declaring humility better than pride will change the genuine sense of accomplishment one knows from genuine effort and success because of that effort. Further, all who know genuine pride, also know humility and understand that where pride is a difficult sense that must be worked for, humility is a reality that finds us all, sometimes daily and even then many time throughout a day.

It is pointless to claim pride for the color of ones skin, and it is always pointed to know pride from true accomplishment, and pride in that regard, knows no racial boundaries.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by For(Home)Country

I could be wrong but I think your argument is of a whole other issue , far and above the question of pride in ones race , no ?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Where is Chinese history month or Mexican history month or dare I say native History month ?

Why do you feel that there couldn't be a White history month ? If it would " sell " wouldn't it seem logical that there would be a White History month ?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

I suppose I did get off track, and I apologize. Racial pride is a touchy subject, and when you think about it, it seems sort of pathetic. All races have made significant discoveries and advancements, along with terrible blunders. Colour and genetic make-up shouldn't be what sets us apart. Sure, I'm glad I'm white, but I don't see anything wrong with others who aren't because they have just as much potential as I do when purely looking at racial origin.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Wow this is kinda funny iw as just talking about this yesterday to some friends of mine.

Years ago when i was in junior high, they had a club in school for all black students. I forgot the name of it but it was something like young negro student of america or young african americn students of america or something to the effect. The name implied back only. I made a issue of this. We were told it was not allowed for any group of students to create a club excluding people due to race, religion, etc etc. Oh and the school i went to was a majority black school with asians coming in second and whites almost dead last with hispanics in numbers. It was a magnet school here in houston that was a math/science academy.
The principle acknowledge my complaint and said 2 things to me.
1. that if more students decide to complain and come forward he would look into it and see if there was something that should be done.
2.Why would you want to join a club for all black kids?

ROFLMAO. today i can laugh about this but then i was pissed. My mom told me to drop it or i might incur the wrath of some angry black kids and get beat up. LOL

I made a point then and i make it now with regards to your post. Racism is racism no matter what side of the fence your on. If any race on this planet has a vested interest in ending racism in this world then it ALL needs to end. Unfortunately there are alot of angry people in this world who feel whites deserve to get a taste of what they have had to endure all their lives. Maybe so.. i guess thats one to argue about but it doesnt end racism. Rather it just shifts its focus. Ever see white mans burden?

How many times do we honor this person for the wondrful job they did but not only because they did it but because they did it as the best hispanic or best african american doing it. Its just ridiculous. Hispanic police officer of the year, African american policeofficer of the year etc etc. But no White police officer of the year. The reasoning is simple. Beacuse anytime the white race is honored above other races, its a reminder that the only time whites want to honor themselves above others is because they show superiority over all others. When any minority is being honored above other races for outstanding performance is because they are coming up to equality not superiority. Thats the impression since most of the minority races have at some point in there history been either slaves or persecuted because of their race.

This doesnt end racism though, it just simply redirects it somewhere else. Trying to put a positive spin on racism is wrong as well in my opinion. Honor a man or woman for their accomplishments not just because they were black or asian or hispanic. Just simply because they were good at what they do period!!

Its all about image. If a black man who is seen as being minority and persecuted for race stands up and yells black power its a sign of defiance against said persecutuion. Thats a good thing. He is struggling to be equal.
If a white man does it, then it isnt him struggling to be equal it is seen as him trying to be superior because the white man has never been subjugated to slavery or genocide at least none i know of. If so then it was most likely by his own kind and not a foreign race. I may be wrong because i am not a history professor.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Let's do it then. Better lets have a multiple racial history month. I'm talking having pride in your ancestry. Not having anything better then anyone else. You people think I'm wanting to bring back segregation.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by For(Home)Country

I agree my friend and you need not apologize to me . However , you did rase some great points and perhaps you could cover that issue in its own thread as I am sure it would provoke a wide range of responses .

As for pride in ones race I simply believe that its bad propaganda that tells white people they can't have pride in there color , if they so chose . White people can have pride in whatever they want and no other race would mind , its that simple .

The reason whites don't have a white history month is because whites don't care enough to have such a thing , not because they are not allowed .

For the record I am white

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

It would be great to have one and not just for European Whites. but for Persians and Arabs, Jews also. Whites also get on my nerves when they say anyone who might have White skin color, but not European is not really White. To me many of them are wanting to make the White race more Christian in it's heritage.

[edit on 3-5-2010 by Romantic_Rebel]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   

. You people think I'm wanting to bring back segregation.

I certainly don't believe that of you and would never make such a reach .

You ask a fair question and I merely stated my point of view on the topic , thats all .

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I take pride in being a German American.

At the same time I enjoy other races and their traditions.

It is my belief that we would all be happier if we took self pride in our race and carried on traditions and the dress of our races.

Different is good. Why try to be white if you are black and black if you are white? Same for other races.

We are what we are and should try to be the best we can be no matter what our heritage.

The main thing to remember is we are all humans and in this life together and hopefully make it better.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Thanks for the point. It just aggravates me that people have to say something White pride. But if anyone else said something about their race's pride then people shut up and hide under their covers.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I don't have pride in being part of the human race, nonetheless to narrow it down to colors!!!

As for a real answer, it's just a politically correct thing, I believe the KKK kind of ruined all whites from saying "White pride"......

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

They did and they know they did. Now they're trying to play the non violence card or the down home Christian family card. But also Blacks are doing same with the Nation of Islam and BHI. Just to name a few. Soon it will happen to them as well. Pride really is a hot coal and if you hold it to long it will burn you soon.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
reply to post by Republican08

They did and they know they did. Now they're trying to play the non violence card or the down home Christian family card. But also Blacks are doing same with the Nation of Islam and BHI. Just to name a few. Soon it will happen to them as well. Pride really is a hot coal and if you hold it to long it will burn you soon.

What do you mean by "Blacks are doing same with the Nation of Islam and BHI"?

I'm not even familiar with what a BHI is? (I know don't ever end a sentence with "is" but it's been a long day....is)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join