It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gulf Oil Spill Another Extinction-Level HOAX?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonicInfinity

Originally posted by DarkspARCS
I feel that you're analogy is accurate, and this all has been a false flag operation.

What I find odd is that they're not following standard procedure if it is one. Usually when a false flag happens, the media covers it nonstop for weeks at a time, but I've barely seen this oil spill on the news at all. All I've been seeing is this failed car bomb story. If this was truly a false flag attack, wouldn't they be covering it nonstop to instill maximum fear in the American public?

Here ya go...

Google Search "Gulf oil spill": 13 Million hits

You don't need a TV when you've got an internet....

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkspARCS

lol, calm down there buddy, no need to scream when peeps aren't paying attention to your thoughts.

Now about the NarGeo article ... as it happens many times during an unfolding crisis, they were obviously wrong. In fact, they themselves referred/corrected the article you linked two days later: news.nationalgeographic.com... And this is two weeks ago.

Widely available satellite imagery confirms this.

Please, no more screaming?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Risen

And then they said it was leaking again.

Do try to keep up.

Lol... that rear admiral is absolutely back peddling! I can see the side to side movement of R.E.M. going rampant while he made that comment...

For days, the Coast Guard has said no oil appeared to be escaping from the well head on the ocean floor. Rear Adm. Mary Landry said the leak was a new discovery but could have begun when the rig sank on Thursday, two days after the initial explosion.

"We thought what we were dealing with as of yesterday was a surface residual (oil) from the mobile offshore drilling unit," Landry said. "In addition to that is oil emanating from the well. It is a big change from yesterday ... This is a very serious spill, absolutely."

"uuuhhh... doh, yep, it's serious uh huh, absolutely!..."

WHATEVER PEOPLE... lol.

FBI Warns about Possible Gulf Oil Spill Scams

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

You are right Doc, the Global Warming Hoax has been exposed, despite the insistence from the few AGW fanatics out there to the contrary, so now they cause some other catastrophes, and in this case oil spills to get people to accept more DRACONIAN laws, more control, etc. At the end the control is going to be on the people, and not on the large, rich companies....

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Imagine the picture you posted being one giant blob of oil on the surface, 5 inches thick... thats the difference, and that much oil will have an OBVIOUS effect. Once you start seeing birds and other animals struggling and dying there will be no denying it.

However, i wasnt aware that they leaked that much all the time. That just adds another reason to why we shouldnt drill off our shores if we can avoid it...

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Well Doc, I also have been born and raised on the gulf coast. The Louisiana one as a matter of fact. I have also worked in the oil field for almost four years in the mid nineties, on a supply boat for drilling platforms. As a matter of fact the last rig that I was involved with was a Transocean rig. I am an avid bluewater fisherman. I have seen all sorts of other stuff tailing from a rig in the currents- never oil. Chemicals, maybe a little diesel, trash, sewerage, etc. No doubt the rigs within rock throwing distance from louisianas shores have had a horrendous effect on them. Inshore waters near drilling and production platforms are always brown and gross. Im not sure what your sat photo shows- but I doubt thats oil. those rigs are inspected ALL the time by coast guard and EPA, I assure you that they are not leaking oil on a regular basis- wouldnt make good business sense in the first place. On a daily basis when I worked out there I would see bilge and sewerage discharge from boats and rigs- its a big no no- but it happens everyday. Usually under cover of darkness, I have taken part in this action many times. The brown foamy goo I usually see on La's shores was usually that. FWIW

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   

hahaha.... BS is still BS even when the font size is increased and bolded. Reality check time brother....

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   

This is an easy one. Do oil spills occur naturally of this magnitude? If it does not occur naturally, it is NOT a good thing. I am not sure how crabs hacking up black stuff is good? Just ,because they live does not mean they are healthy. I'm not even sure how you can justify not trying to find new means of energy and that as long as only a few animals are dying for oil its ok. The only time an animal should be killed is for substance. I think you might need to wake up to the fact that our actions DO have consequences.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   

3) I have not "ignored" people who live on the Gulf Coast, because I am from the Gulf Coast, and I know that anyone living down there in the vicinity of Texas and Louisiana would laugh in your face if you suggested that crude oil doesn't come up on the beaches all the time. If that moderator has never seen crude oil on an upper Gulf Coast beach in 27 years, it's because he either doesn't live on the upper Gulf Coast or because he has very poor observational skills.

Additionally, I posted a news story quoting a Mississippi Congressman (a former U.S. Coast Guard) who has surveyed the spill and it's his expert observation that it's not as bad as he expected, and that the spill will naturally dissipate without catastrophic damage to the coast.

So, my suggestion to you is to try reading the thread before you start babbling incoherently.

— Doc Velocity

Doc,
I also sorta lived on the Gulf Coast, New Orleans, Slidell, worked in the oil patch most of my life. You do speak the truth. (But I won't laugh at those who are uninformed or misinformed by the MSM and "greenies")

We used to bring our Golden Retrievers down to Grande Isle for a swim, them, not us. It took weeks one time to get the tar out of their hair!!!
Needless to say, we only did that once.

I lived in Morgan City and Pascagoula, also worked on two "floaters" in Galveston and offshore Veracruz and Campeche. Also a couple of Transocean rigs here in the ME and off the Sinai.

Now I work here in the UAE and there is virtually no oil spilled offshore here. You would really notice it because it so shallow and the water is very clear. No blowouts off or onshore, yet.

Well, I hope things are really going as you say for the sake of everyone at home.

Good luck and Thanks,
Tom

Well

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anamnesis

In the photo you posted, you claim that each of the streaks of oil on the surface is associated with an Oil Rig leaking. No Sir, I work in the Oil and Gas industry and your assesment of that photo is completely wrong. EPA regulations have curtailed sloppy rig management and strictly enforce regulations. You are entitled to your opinion but we're entitled to disagree. Honestly, when someone like you makes a claim like that, it's insulting to those who work their asses off to follow those regulations.

Lastly, while you're certainly entitled to your opinion, I think it's somewhat irresponsible to claim that the dangers posed by the spill are insignificant. In fact, you may want to keep that opinion to yourself if you happen to be in LA along the Gulf Coast. Those folks can't fish right now and the spill isn't even washed up on shore yet.

Let's all hope this mess gets cleaned up quickly and safely....

Yes, Anamnesis, I forgot to mention the photo... I agree. Those "streaks" are caused by wind and cooling water, etc. and the effect of the reflection off the water. Not oil, not these days anyway.

I was not really insulted though as I only work on the drives that keep the motors turnin'!! (i.e.: DW's, MP's, Rotary and or TD's), etc.)

Anyway, Thanks again,
Tom

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by tomdham

In the photo you posted, you claim that each of the streaks of oil on the surface is associated with an Oil Rig leaking. No Sir, I work in the Oil and Gas industry and your assesment of that photo is completely wrong. EPA regulations have curtailed sloppy rig management and strictly enforce regulations. You are entitled to your opinion but we're entitled to disagree. Honestly, when someone like you makes a claim like that, it's insulting to those who work their asses off to follow those regulations.

Lastly, while you're certainly entitled to your opinion, I think it's somewhat irresponsible to claim that the dangers posed by the spill are insignificant. In fact, you may want to keep that opinion to yourself if you happen to be in LA along the Gulf Coast. Those folks can't fish right now and the spill isn't even washed up on shore yet.

Yes, Anamnesis, I forgot to mention the photo... I agree. Those "streaks" are caused by wind and cooling water, etc. and the effect of the reflection off the water. Not oil, not these days anyway.

I was not really insulted though as I only work on the drives that keep the motors turnin'!! (i.e.: DW's, MP's, Rotary and or TD's), etc.)

Anyway, Thanks again,
Tom

Sorry... Not from oil platforms but they are oil.

www.sciencedaily.com...

This wide-area view of the Gulf of Mexico was taken by the Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) on NASA's Terra satellite on May 13, 2006. The bright swath (center and right) indicates where sunlight is reflected and scattered off of the ocean surface. The streaks in the inset are oil slicks. (Credit: NASA Earth Observatory)

Scientists recently found black gold bubbling up from an otherwise undistinguished mass of ocean imagery. Chuanmin Hu, an optical oceanographer at the University of South Florida, St. Petersburg, and colleagues from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and the University of Massachusetts–Dartmouth (UMass), found that they could detect oil seeping naturally from the seafloor of the Gulf of Mexico by examining streaks amid the reflected sunlight on the ocean's surface.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Primordial

Originally posted by tomdham

Anyway, Thanks again,
Tom

Sorry... Not from oil platforms but they are oil.

www.sciencedaily.com...

This wide-area view of the Gulf of Mexico was taken by the Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) on NASA's Terra satellite on May 13, 2006. The bright swath (center and right) indicates where sunlight is reflected and scattered off of the ocean surface. The streaks in the inset are oil slicks. (Credit: NASA Earth Observatory)

Scientists recently found black gold bubbling up from an otherwise undistinguished mass of ocean imagery. Chuanmin Hu, an optical oceanographer at the University of South Florida, St. Petersburg, and colleagues from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and the University of Massachusetts–Dartmouth (UMass), found that they could detect oil seeping naturally from the seafloor of the Gulf of Mexico by examining streaks amid the reflected sunlight on the ocean's surface.

Well.... good on ya for pointing out that those Oil streaks aren't coming from rigs.

I've been reading about the natural seepage as well. The thing is that where those seepages occur, colonies of bacteria grow and feed off of the Oil. Not to say that the bacteria gets it all but.... the amounts certainly aren't as concentrated as the current spill in the Gulf.

Honestly though.... another respondant here pointed out that this Oil spill doesn't seem to follow the same pattern as other false flag operations. Unfortunatly, this disaster is all too real and could have devastating reprocutions for decades to come....

Still hoping for a speedy cleanup....

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I haved lived in the Gulf Coast area my entire life Doc. I for one have never seen these abundant oil slicks like you talk of. Although I do not own a boat myself I am always out on the charter boats fishing off these oil platforms. I have not once seen the "bubbling" you speak of nor do I think we could of hauled in the massive amounts of fish we catch when we visit the platform. For anyone to calls this level of disaster a hoax is angering. If you could see the people down here right now. Everyone with a little bit of knowledge is super depressed. This will effect EVERYTHING down here. We depend on tourists dollars and commercial fishing. Everyone is talking about moving. I'm 23 and this is the most concerned ive seen this part of florida ever get.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Logestar

Truth is, leaks are expensive. They are uncaptured oil. The oil companies do their best to keep these to a minimum.

The rest, seems to be dis-info.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Good thread but the leak is really bad gonna be gushing for like 3 months or more is gonna be well bad

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I've been reading this thread, but had to stop and respond to this:

Originally posted by DaddyBare

Doc is right... those saying this is an ELE Extinction level event are just more doomsayers...
Real case study on major spills
I'm not saying this one isn't bad
just no where near ELE bad

This essentially mirrors my own current assessment.

This is NOT and ELE.

As bad as things are, I do not think we have surpassed the amount of oil spilled in The Gulf War Spill. While bad and locally devastating, it was not an ELE. And argue what you might about the long term consequences, the region did MUCH BETTER than most predicted.

So the OP only gets that point right, imo. But minimizing the immediate impact of this spill and implying it is a minor event of little significance is just plain ridiculous.

The consequences will be serious enough for the US.

Good luck believing otherwise...

[edit on 4-5-2010 by loam]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
As far as I know from what we are being told, this is not your usual spillage. Obviously you have experienced since your childhood the effects of mild amount of spillage which is unavoidable when drilling off shore. It is minor by comparisson to a tanker breaking up and spilling its cargo. In this present situation it is the massive amount of oil literally gushing out of the well head. At first we were told that the amount of crude oil gushing out of the ground was 5,000 barrels per day. Now we are informed that the amount is no less than 200,000 barrels per day. It is massive. Nothing like this has ever happened before. That size of gusher has never before been encountered anywhere on Earth. So even if it was such a high pressure massive gusher erupting at a drill hole on dry land they would be having severe problems to cap it. On top of that problem there is also the astounding fact that this gusher is at 5,000 feet depth of water. Those of you with no Navy experience, with submarines, might not comprehend the problem. A diver cannot dive to anywhere near such a massive depth. The deepest that divers dare to dive is a few hundred feet maximum. That requires special decompression equipment. Going down is not the problem. The decompression on coming up is the danger. A manned submarine, no matter how strong the hull, cannot dive deeper than a few hundred feet and decompression is a problem too. So the oil industry are using a robot submarine to attend to the gusher that way. One factor which you might not understand is that a lump of metal weighing a ton when on the surface, gradually weighs less and less as it decends into the depths of the water. So at 5,000 feet depth the metal capping structure is weighing zero and that is the problem. The oil, rising up the tube to the rig, was literally lifting the tube and the rig out of the water. The force of the gush was that strong. I honestly cannot see them being able to cap this gusher. It is of such high pressure, and so deep under the water surface, that it is a force too strong for humans to contol it. I liken it to a volcano eruption spewing crude oil rather than molten rock. No one thinks of being able to cap a volcano ! So how is it anyone can seriously be thinking to cap this gusher ? Please read this web page to get a better picture of the problem. >DEEP WATER DRILLING< It only takes two pints [one litre] of crude oil to kill 250,000 gallons [one gallon is four litres] of sea water. It is thus no under estimation to state that this massive under water gusher is going to kill the Gulf of Mexico and no doubt the effects will spread into the Atlantic Ocean too. The economic disaster is that the cost of cleaning up will no doubt as always be off loaded to the consumer. That in my opinion is not a hoax. These are the hard real life facts. Not propaganda.

[edit on 4/5/2010 by CAELENIUM]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by CAELENIUM
It only takes two pints of crude oil to kill 250,000 gallons of sea water.

I keep seeing this repeated in a number of places, but have yet to see an actual scientific scource.

Incidentally, as water can't be 'killed', I assume they mean inhospitable to most life.

Again, I'd like someone to show me the science for this.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

Originally posted by CAELENIUM
It only takes two pints of crude oil to kill 250,000 gallons of sea water.
I keep seeing this repeated in a number of places, but have yet to see an actual scientific scource. Incidentally, as water can't be 'killed', I assume they mean inhospitable to most life. Again, I'd like someone to show me the science for this.

Dear LOAM, go to the link [url=http://pesn.com/2010/05/02/9501643_Mother_of_all_gushers_could_kill_Earths_oceans/]>DEEP WATER DRILLING

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Like I said in another thread, I have a personal contact very very high in one of the 2 companies involved... I cannot say who it is, I dont want to get them in trouble.

Bottom line is this......... the well is leaking and it appears to be growing vastly in the amount of oil coming out.... it has the potential to leak as much as 100,000 Barrels a day....about 4,000,000 gallons a day.

People in the two companies, some of them in this business for decades, are scared sh**less, because they dont think they will be able to stop this leak.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by RickinVa]

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join