It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gulf Oil Spill Another Extinction-Level HOAX?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Yes, let's spill MORE oil and cut down on regulations...# nature.

What a ridiculously retarded thread!

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

Baby oil & paper towels will remove tar completely & easily, MysterE. You can use it on some fabrics and then use a mild degreaser (like dishwashing liquid or shampoo for oily hair) to get the oil out- if it isn't a really big blob. If that doesn't quite work, brush talcum into the oil stain & repeat. It will eventually get the oil out, but the question is can the fabric take it? (after 35 years, why is this not common knowledge by now?)

I am not a greenie, but I do believe in reasonably minimizing my own personal damage to the environment as much as I can. I, too, was a regular on Texas beaches up until the last 15- 20 years. I wish I were able to go more often.
The oil/ tar balls on the beach & in the water has always been a problem for some of us. It's almost been dwarfed by the crap & chemicals that lodge in sargassum seaweed & that's gotten progressively worse over the years (also brought in by shipping, I think)

Most of us have heard the phrase "somebody's going to put out an eye"? Well, I won't speculate on HOW catastrophic this event is, but somebody has definitely "put out an eye".
Here's one more: Hard heads have to feel.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
This straight up disinformation

I suspect the OP is a employee of the oil industry

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by colt122

This!

So the oil spill is fine and only "natural"? Nothing to see here, move on?

Let's see:

- Tourism industry will suffer...people might lose their jobs.
- House prices will fall, people lose money.
- Entire coastlines might get destroyed. No more bathing, and you better bring cleaning liquid with you to the beach, because your feet will be covered in oil.

Anyone saying this is natural and fine and we should go on drilling like we are now should stop listening to Limbaugh. That guy's a fat slob who's nothing but a corporate puppet.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Hey, thanks for the post. I think it's pretty obvious you know" worst environmental disaster ever" and it just happens to be when our government has rolled out the whole carbon scandal. I mean; COME ON!

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Well Doc... I've lived on the Texas Gulf Coast all my life too and I have to say that I'm a little more than bewildered by your post. I used to go crabbin' in the flats w/a bunch of Turkey necks on strings just like every other Gulf Coast resident has done at some time or another. Can't say that I've ever seen Blue Crab expirating globs of oil though *S*, and if I did I certainly wouldn't eat them. Yes, I've had to wash tar off of my feet but the beaches these days are much cleaner than back in the 70's when I was a kid.

You should know that the areas immediatly threatened by the spill are some of the most productive fishing and shrimping waters in the world, not just the US. This isn't my opinion, it's a fact. No one knows for sure how the spill will effect the sea life along the shores of LA. but I can tell you that the damage will be significant and will last for decades.

In the photo you posted, you claim that each of the streaks of oil on the surface is associated with an Oil Rig leaking. No Sir, I work in the Oil and Gas industry and your assesment of that photo is completely wrong. EPA regulations have curtailed sloppy rig management and strictly enforce regulations. You are entitled to your opinion but we're entitled to disagree. Honestly, when someone like you makes a claim like that, it's insulting to those who work their asses off to follow those regulations.

Lastly, while you're certainly entitled to your opinion, I think it's somewhat irresponsible to claim that the dangers posed by the spill are insignificant. In fact, you may want to keep that opinion to yourself if you happen to be in LA along the Gulf Coast. Those folks can't fish right now and the spill isn't even washed up on shore yet.

Let's all hope this mess gets cleaned up quickly and safely....

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

Sorry, I wish this was a hoax.

But this indeed a catastrophic event.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by colt122

OK.... look. Employees "of the industry" are not your enemy. We are just hard working folks like everyone else. We have families and we are just as concerned about the environment as anyone else. Of course I don't work for Haliburton or BP....

Let's see... I seem to recall that when Cheney was VP, he held secret energy meetings in which the mandatory use of Acustic switches and remote shut downs was no longer a requirement. A $500,000 device on a $9-million rig could have prevented this whole mess....

No... it's not the folks who work for the Oil and Gas industry that caused this mess... you should be blaming the politicians....

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity

Originally posted by discl0sur3
Respectfully....Are you kidding me?
A quarter of a million gallons of crude is being pumped into the Gulf right now. Don't even try to discount the severity of this issue...the results are going to be catastrophic.

Respectfully, you don't know how much crude oil is being "pumped into" the Gulf. All you know is the triple-distilled propaganda coming to you via the mainstream media. The same media that has been trying to fill your head with manmade global warming propaganda.

I'm fairly sure that this "catastrophic spill" is no more and no less severe than any other crude oil spill, but it's being hyped in preparation for jacking up gas and seafood prices, in order to convince the public that we need to abandon crude oil as a fuel source.

Whaddaya wanna bet?

— Doc Velocity

I tend to agree, particularly about the seafood. I heard on MSM that 20% of US seafood comes from that region of the gulf. What? Really? I am supposed to believe that? That set my BS detector off like crazy. Out of all the oceans in the world and we get 20% of our seafood from off the coast of Louisiana? Bull sheet. Made up number that sets the stage for price gouging.

Maybe I'm wrong, perhaps the talking head meant a certain type of seafood, which would be more believable. It seems to me that a lot of our seafood is imported.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by AwakeinNM]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Doc Velocity said:

If you'd bothered to read the OP, you would know that I'm born and raised Texan on the Gulf Coast

That figures... your avatar LOOKS like a Texan Doc!

(Just kidding) - seriously though, I feel that you're analogy is accurate, and this all has been a false flag operation. Event now, for some strange reason the Coast guard is reporting that the flow mysteriously is dissipating, with very little effect on the coastlines...

And while I literally searched the internet via google for images of affected wildlife due to this spill, images in support of the hyped rhetoric that this spill would be a massive wildlife kill off just isn't there...

INTERESTINGLY...

Many of the images I did discover of affected animals were supposedly animals... covered up with towels, and you wouldn't know what was in the towel... that is the majority of what I found, usually with the same woman in the same blue wind breaker too...

other articles I discovered showed animals that could have been killed by anything, however, there didn't appear to be any lumped tar residue attached to them.

another source stated that sea turtles were washing up on the beaches ------- but it didn't appear that oil was the cause of death...

GULFPORT, Miss. — At least 20 sea turtles have been found dead this weekend along a 30-mile stretch of Mississippi beaches from Biloxi to Bay St. Louis. While wildlife officials can't say with certainty the turtles, some endangered, died as a result of the oil spill, the number concerns them.

Moby Solangi, director of the Institute for Marine Mammal Studies in Gulfport, Miss., said Sunday

this is typically the time of year when turtles wash up on shore

. Solangi says even though

no oil appears to be on the turtles

, they may still have been sickened by consuming oil-coated fish. He says that won't be clear until necropsies are performed on Monday.

Just discovered this little tidbit on NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC....

Marianne Lavelle

National Geographic News

Published April 23, 2010

Fears have lessened that the sinking of the oil rig Deepwater Horizon will cause a major oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, according to the U.S. Coast Guard, which announced Friday that petroleum had stopped flowing from the seafloor drilling site.

ok people.... WTF...

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I lived 30+ years on the MS coast & New Orleans area and never saw oil wash up on shore. I never smelled it either. Mississippi has several barrier islands that could have absorbed some, but I've never heard of any where I'm from.

I wouldn't put it past TPTB to figure out a way to make money by tightening regulations and jacking up prices.

Noone really knows what the environmental impact will be, but it can't be good...

Some folks speak of environmentalism as a bad thing. Thats a stereotype. There are people who go to extremes in every walk of life. Enjoying clean water & fresh seafood is a simple goal & should be protected. It's time to make these multi billion dollar companies responsible for thier actions. After all, thats what it's all about: GREED.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkspARCS
I feel that you're analogy is accurate, and this all has been a false flag operation.

What I find odd is that they're not following standard procedure if it is one. Usually when a false flag happens, the media covers it nonstop for weeks at a time, but I've barely seen this oil spill on the news at all. All I've been seeing is this failed car bomb story. If this was truly a false flag attack, wouldn't they be covering it nonstop to instill maximum fear in the American public?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
This is like comparing a 12 mile wide meteor hitting earth to someone tossing a rock off of a bridge.

One thing to consider is, compare the fairly small spill that had an effect on the coastline to this disaster.

This is the first time I heard anyone call this an extinction level event though...however I will say I haven't been following any conspiracy theories or doomsday science dramamongers muddying the water for now and simply looking for facts...fact is, it going to cause some pretty serious damage to industry and natural wildlife along the coast for awhile.

I do like the optimism of you however, this will blow over with no consequence...sounds good, lets hope your right.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I don't know enough about oil to debate this (reading material isn't enough, I'm sure), but I see some good coming out of this possibly over-hyped spill. There could be new legislation to make oil companies more accountable because the law now is most certainly not going to work

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unit541
reply to post by Primordial

And doctors and nurses have been pricking fingers to draw blood for a century.

So, what are you going to say when your doc walks in with a cleaver and says "don't worry, it seems that the human body can handle a little bleeding..."?

Look, I never said the spill was a good thing. But did you even read any of the links? The oil dissipates and bio degrades.

The Earth naturally lets, by some estimates, up to 2,000,000 tons of crude oil into the sea every year and has been for centuries.

2,000,000 tons, at @ 300 lbs a barrel = @ 13,000,000 barrels a year. Even at the lower "best estimate" average of 200,000 it's still 1.3 million barrels a year ... for at the very least a few centuries while we've been paying attention but in actuality it's more like 100's of thousands or millions of years.

This spill will not kill the oceans or bring upon armageddon. Some animals may die, some fishing will be disrupted, but the earth isn't going to die just yet.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
As long as you are asking us to trust your analysis of the situation as opposed to the "hogwash" the rest of the world seems to be observing..

perhaps you can explain how in this post you explain how you have seen "dead fish and crabs" in the past due to general oil leakage...All your life...

And I'm telling you that I smelled it, tasted it, and lived with it all my life (until I moved up into the mountains a few years ago). I have seen many oil slicks come ashore, I've smelled the stuff until it choked me, and I've seen the dead fish and crabs and everything else that you claim you've never seen.
— Doc Velocity

While in this post you assert that Crabs are unaffected by oil leakage..populations booming...even happily breathing the stuff?

When we went crabbing along the Gulf Coast, we'd bring back hundreds of big, male Blue Crabs in our massive cooler, which we filled with seawater to keep the crustaceans alive as long as possible. As the crabs glowered up at us through the water, we could see that they were exhaling thick, brown globs that would rise up and spread out in a rainbow on the surface.

[edit on 5/3/2010 by Doc Velocity]

[edit on 4-5-2010 by maybereal11]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Even if it was corn oil this much would still be devastating to any ecosystem.

Might want to look into a new line of work, Doc, disinfo clearly isn't your game.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by Risen]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I have lived in Galveston and have gone there pretty much every summer since the early 90s while visiting family in Houston, and I never encountered oil on the beaches.

In fact, I've been all up and down the gulf coast and never seen such. Sorry, but I'm calling BS on the OP.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by Someone336]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
lol....

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did everyone here just like - blink when it came to what I just made available to you?

read carefully...

THE COAST GUARD STATED ON APRIL 23 THAT THE OIL STOPPED FLOWING....

Oil-Spill Fears Subside at Rig-Explosion Site

April 23, 2010 - National Geographic: Fears have lessened that the sinking of the oil rig Deepwater Horizon will cause a major oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, according to the U.S. Coast Guard, which announced Friday that petroleum had stopped flowing from the seafloor drilling site

This article from National Geographic announced back on April 23, 3 days after the Gulf Oil Spill, that the Coast Guard announced that the flow of oil had stopped.

Why is Main Stream Media still reporting that it's still flowing, and OMG!! what a catastrophy!!... ??

and another thing to think about...

COULD THIS BE THE FALSE FLAG OPERATION EVERYONE HAS BEEN TALKING ABOUT THAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN AS OF LATE?

This story made known that 11 men died...

can anyone else here remember another false flag operation that contained the number 11 in it's equation!!??

Oh please... allow me to assist you!

September 11, 2001

lets think about it ladies and gentlemen....

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join