It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gulf Oil Spill Another Extinction-Level HOAX?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

Very interesting evaluation. Just a question (and it's serious on my part because I do not know the answer) how do oil slicks on the ocean surface compare to the oil spewing directly from the hole in the earth surface and all that might imply... ?

[edit on 3/5/2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82
Why do I smell it in the air, compared to all the time when it's naturally happening. Is this the first time the wind has ever blown from that direction in 27 years? Why have I seen the dead animals on the shore with oil, compared to never seeing that in my lifetime?

And I'm telling you that I smelled it, tasted it, and lived with it all my life (until I moved up into the mountains a few years ago). I have seen many oil slicks come ashore, I've smelled the stuff until it choked me, and I've seen the dead fish and crabs and everything else that you claim you've never seen.

Respectfully, you haven't been paying attention for the last 27 years. Perhaps your senses are heightened now because you're being influenced by the Green media.

I'll also tell you this — I've seen the perfectly natural algae blooms called Red Tide kill more fish and crustaceans and birds than any oil slick you've ever seen in your life. Not just in Texas and Louisiana, but down in Florida, as well.

— Doc Velocity

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   

You have absolutely no clue on what you're talking about, now reading my "perceptions" for the last 27 years and letting me know I've been influenced by some "green media."

You are truly stating that I have always been smelling this "something" that I'm just smelling now?

I'm done with this argument, I can't go that far through the looking glass to keep that far from reality with you.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I am right around the same age as you and grew up on the west coast and remember crude washing up on the beaches on occasion. I Aslo remember fish, birds, and other sea life dying washing up covered in oil so it does kill sea life. I think you are taking it to the other extreme by saying its not a problem.

Crude can and does kill sea life especially younger and more delicate life like plankton and algae which produce oxygen. The problem is when do we reach a tipping point? With over fishing and pouring crude into the oceans unnaturally along with what ever else gets dumped in the oceans for decades etc. you have to know it has an accumulative impact.

Ask any long time fishermen and they will tell you fishing is nothing like it used to be 20 or 30 years ago.

It's like the death of a thousand cuts we can't keep taking for granted that we can continue to do this and think it is not a problem. Especially when we have had other renewable cleaner fuels more viable then petroleum for over a a century.

I agree this will be exploited for high gas prices and EPA crack downs but this is not a hoax like global warming. I have seen the dead fish, birds, and other sea life wash up on the beaches from big oil spills. I am sick and tired of big oil running our lives and exploiting us, sending our loved ones off to die for oil profits, think of all the wars, death, and destruction these big corps have caused in the quest for oil over the last century.

Trust me I am no tree hugging dirt worshipper, however enough is enough! It is time to stop this nonsense! It is all so some elites can live like the princes of the earth while they kill, rob, and poison us and our environment. I for one am sick of it!

[edit on 3-5-2010 by hawkiye]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
how do oil slicks on the ocean surface compare to the oil spewing directly from the hole in the earth surface and all that might imply... ?

Well, consider that (as depicted in the photo I posted in the OP) there are hundreds and thousands of holes in the Earth's surface spewing oil, thanks to the petroleum industry. The slicks that you see in the photo — some reaching nearly a hundred miles in length — are the product of crude oil already belching out of the Earth.

The difference is that those hundreds of slicks in the photo aren't being used to hype an ecological agenda.

It's all about CONTROL... As long as the petroleum industry is getting their controlled share of that spillage, it's not a disaster. When the oil is escaping and the petroleum industry can't capitalize on it, then the media calls it a "catastrophe"...

— Doc Velocity

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82
I'm done with this argument, I can't go that far through the looking glass to keep that far from reality with you.

You seem pretty feisty and intolerant for a "super moderator"... There's no argument here. You think I'm out-of-touch with reality, and I think you have poor observational skills.

No argument either way.

— Doc Velocity

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Wait wait wait...

1. No one but a few are spouting this is an extinction level event. However, the consensus so far is obviously a catastrophic event of great proportions. Extinction though? Hardly.

2. OK, so you walked around in globs of oil and saw dead animals back in the 70's. Those issues were caused by oil rigs as well, and im sure any marine biologist will give you a lecture on the problems they cause.

3. You're correct, crude is natural, and will breakdown eventually. But there is a significant difference in ongoing small leaks and the combination of a very large leak. Lets use..hmm.. any example. Prick yourself with 100 pins in various locations, it will hurt like hell im sure, but you'll be fine. Now take the same pins, put them all on one spot and push. You get what im saying?

4. Just because oil is constantly spilling into the ocean already doesnt mean adding more is all fine and dandy. Sure the ocean will recover from this spill, but what will be the cost this time.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Now let's consider the observational skills of another Gulf Coast resident who has overflown the current "catastrophic" oil spill. I take from the uber-Left Huffington Post:

Congressman Compares Gulf Coast Oil Spill To 'Chocolate Milk,' Says It Will 'Break Up Naturally'

Congressman Compares Gulf Coast Oil Spill To 'Chocolate Milk,' Says It Will 'Break Up Naturally'

Rep. Gene Taylor (D-Miss.) suggested over the weekend that people shouldn't be "scared" about the Gulf Coast oil spill and in justifying his claim compared the massive slick to "chocolate milk."

On Saturday, Taylor flew over the oil spill in a Coast Guard plane and at first glance declared that the site was "not as bad" as he expected it to be. Taylor flew over the site of the sunken Deepwater Horizon rig Saturday along with Department of Marine Resources Director Bill Walker and Rep. Jo Bonner of Alabama.

"At the moment, it's not as bad as I thought it would be," he said, shortly after returning from the three-hour tour.

After observing the oil spill from 1,000 feet, Taylor said in an interview with Biloxi's WLOX-TV that what many feel is an environmental and economic catastrophe is not "Katrina" or "Armageddon," adding that the "chocolate milk looking spill" is beginning to "break up naturally"

"What I want people to know is this isn't Katrina. This is not Armageddon. I did this for the Coast Guard many years ago. Yeah, it's bad. And it's terrible that there's a spill out there. But I would remind people that the oil is twenty miles from any marsh."

Which is pretty much what I've said already.

So, here we have a Congressman from the state of Mississippi, who has overflown oil spills many times when he was in the U.S. Coast Guard, DARING to suggest that it's not as bad as he expected, and that it'll break up naturally.

What's BAD is that I had to go to the Huffington Post for this story, instead of the MSM. And the Huffington Post pulled it from an interview on Biloxi's WLOX-TV.

Which says to me that the MSM doesn't want a "light at the end of the tunnel" story on this, or else it would be a headline story. Hey, a Democrat Congressman says "DON'T WORRY"!!

How often does that happen?

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 5/3/2010 by Doc Velocity]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by samureyed
Just because oil is constantly spilling into the ocean already doesnt mean adding more is all fine and dandy. Sure the ocean will recover from this spill, but what will be the cost this time.

That's an easy answer... The main cost will be counted by the Petroleum Industry, who will undoubtedly use the event to justify going out and "upgrading" all the rigs in the Gulf, passing the cost along to the public in the form of higher gas prices.

The remainder of the cost will be borne by the public having to listen to months of Green Movement propaganda about this not-so "catastrophic" spill.

— Doc Velocity

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   

When I said at what "cost" I didn't mean literally, but good answer

I agree with you there for sure. Gas prices will go up and more "Green" propaganda will be thrown around, but mostly to benefit the person throwing it around in the first place.

I just don't think your taking any ecologic or geographic consequences into perspective. The idea of brushing this off as no big deal is like saying an enormous wildfire is not a problem and the trees will grow back.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by samureyed
The idea of brushing this off as no big deal is like saying an enormous wildfire is not a problem and the trees will grow back.

And yet now we're seeing "experts" (such as a former Coast Guard Congressman from the Gulf Coast) who has scrutinized the situation and tells us not to worry because it's not a catastrophe.

Trust me, if it was a real catastrophe, Gulf Coast Congressmen would be crowing their asses off and lining up for disaster relief money.

So, this aint a catastrophe.

As an asides, forest fires today are so destructive BECAUSE of Mankind's shortsighted conservation efforts. If such fires were allowed to burn, destroying the fallen debris and excess undergrowth naturally, the environment would be healthier, and there'd be fewer forest fires.

Keeping things in perspective.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 5/3/2010 by Doc Velocity]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Nobody will convince you otherwise so why do you bother to continue posting here? In the end we will see how it turns out I guess, but I don't think you have as great of knowledge of this event as you think you do living in the mountains on the east coast.

Dripping oil from the top of rigs is a different ball game then a gushing fountain from the gulf's floor. But what do I know either, I'm on the west coast and my info is just as jaded as the garbage you are quoting from. The best source of info is probably the people who live on the coastal regions of the area, the same people are you ignoring and saying they have no clue what they are talking about.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR
I don't think you have as great of knowledge of this event as you think you do living in the mountains on the east coast.

If you'd bothered to read the OP, you would know that I'm born and raised Texan on the Gulf Coast, at ground zero of the oil drilling and oil refining industry. I know more about the oil industry than most ATS posters, and I know the true consequences (and lack thereof) of crude oil spills.

Originally posted by whoshotJR
Dripping oil from the top of rigs is a different ball game then a gushing fountain from the gulf's floor. But what do I know either, I'm on the west coast and my info is just as jaded as the garbage you are quoting from. The best source of info is probably the people who live on the coastal regions of the area, the same people are you ignoring and saying they have no clue what they are talking about.

Again, if you'd read the thread, you'd know several things:

1) The perpetual oil slicks in the Gulf do not result from "dripping oil from the top of rigs" — they leak from the ocean floor, you can go out there in a boat and watch the crude oil bubbling up through the water around any rig.

2) I'm not "quoting garbage," I openly stated that I was posing my opinion.

3) I have not "ignored" people who live on the Gulf Coast, because I am from the Gulf Coast, and I know that anyone living down there in the vicinity of Texas and Louisiana would laugh in your face if you suggested that crude oil doesn't come up on the beaches all the time. If that moderator has never seen crude oil on an upper Gulf Coast beach in 27 years, it's because he either doesn't live on the upper Gulf Coast or because he has very poor observational skills.

Additionally, I posted a news story quoting a Mississippi Congressman (a former U.S. Coast Guard) who has surveyed the spill and it's his expert observation that it's not as bad as he expected, and that the spill will naturally dissipate without catastrophic damage to the coast.

So, my suggestion to you is to try reading the thread before you start babbling incoherently.

— Doc Velocity

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity
Well, yeah, exactly, but the fact is that this daily spillage has been going on for many decades and has survived every ecological campaign that has ever come down the pike.

Um, nope...

In September 2008, House Democrats handed congressional Republicans a victory by agreeing to let the 26-year-old moratorium on offshore drilling expire on September 30.
link

The 'moratorium' was in place to prevent any additional off shore exploration and or extraction to take place. Think this had nothing to do with the environment?

In my opinion, that's because more people prefer driving their cars and jet-setting (including all the Green advocates) and they don't want to think about nonstop crude oil spillage. The petroleum industry hears that message, and they keep pumping.

I think you like in a bubble mate. Yes, I am a green advocate and I drive a car and ride on planes but I rarely forget the impacts of my actions. In fact I know my use of such transit has decreased over the years as I take in to account the action-reaction chain of events. Thus my personal life disproves your above theory. Although those who are 'green advocates' do indeed drive of fly or what ever else you must pay attention to the context in which they live.

Oh and one final note, did you hear that the Florida Keys are going to get covered today? Just one more example as proof positive your OP argument is out of touch in terms of scale and impacts.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by Animal]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Doc,

Starred and flagged.

Excellent information that I did not know thanks for sharing.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I was also born and raised in Texas near the gulf coast, and I can verify that tar has always been a problem on the shores. Every hotel room you rent there provides you with tar removal wipes (although they don't work very well.) However, the slow seapage is quite different then this and hopefully our once beautiful gulf can be restored to its prior condition.

-E-

P.S. I just want to add that there will be a second disaster resulting from the spill, and it will be in the form of the legislation that is almost certianly being drafted as we speak.

As Rahm said, never let a good crisis go to waste

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
The picture you provided,claiming that it's oil from oil rigs is actually a picture of Natural seeps from rocks below the sea floor.Here's a Link so you can read more about it.
oceanworld.tamu.edu...

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Well Doc, I hope you are right. I lived in Biloxi MS, for a year and never noticed it all. That is not to say you are incorrect, just that I never noticed it. But I am of the opinion that an alternative fuel source is needed sooner rather than later. Partly for the environmental impact, but mostly for the dependency on the middle east. We have to smile and nod at people who want to kill us because they have oil. If it takes this disaster to bring about a change, then hype it up brother.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Yep lil bit here lil bit there ain't gonna hurt ya!
Maybe so maybe not.
little cuts here and there will kill you eventually, but the big knife plunged into you i think would work quicker.

(edit)
And i agree with the poster up one we do need alternative fuel.
I want a Zed P M!

[edit on 4-5-2010 by g146541]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Kind of gives a different meaning to "fish oil' doesn't it !!

I am not real sure I would care for the need to wash crude oil off my fish before I clean it. There is just something about the thought of this that is not very attractive.

Oh! Yes, I do catch and clean fish from the lakes and rivers in my area, so I know of which I speak.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by hdutton]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join