It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas governor: ‘God’ to blame for BP’s oil disaster

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   

If the very Christian, very Republican governor of Texas is right on this one, he may soon find it politically expedient to rethink his allegiances, what with 2010 being an election year and all.

That's right: according to Republican Rick Perry, no amount of safety requirements can prevent an "act of God," which may or may not have occurred in the Gulf of Mexico, resulting in 11 dead oil rig workers and a gusher of oil jetting over 2 million gallons of crude per day into the fragile aquatic ecosystem.

Initial estimates claimed just 1,000 barrels of oil per day were leaking, but that number was quickly revised upward to 5,000 barrels per day. Current estimates project as much as 50,000 barrels a day are spouting from the sunken rig, and it may yet increase.

God, however, does not work for Halliburton, which was cementing the well when the explosion set off. The deity is also not an employee of British Petrolium, which saved a cool $500,000 by not installing "a remote-control shutoff switch" currently required in regulations imposed by other major oil-producing nations.

"Regulators have previously identified problems in the cementing process as a leading cause of well blowouts, in which oil and natural gas surge out of a well with explosive force," The Wall Street Journal reported. "When cement develops cracks or doesn't set properly, oil and gas can escape, ultimately flowing out of control. The gas is highly combustible and prone to ignite, as it appears to have done aboard the Deepwater Horizon, which was leased by BP PLC, the British oil giant."

rawstory.com...

Who is the god that he thinks is responsible for this?
There is no way most reasonable people will take him seriously over this.
But I'm sure some of the religious right will agree with him.

And this after a Mississippi Representative compares the oil spill that is now at possibly 2 million gallons a day to spilled chocolate milk...www.abovetopsecret.com...

No, this is obviously in support for helping the oil companies cover this up since nothing would have prevented it.....

[edit on 3-5-2010 by webpirate]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

Finally! A politician with some sense. Personally, I'd blame god for everything that's wrong with society, and the world in general. But I'd have to believe in a god that gives a damn about humanity first. Which I don't.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
heh heh heh
Religious people love this kind of talk

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Someone tell Obama to stop his investigation...we already have the criminal who's responsible...God!!

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I think Gov Perry may be a wee bit
premature in his determinations.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Wow! I didn't realise that God had been such a naughty boy!

Only in America, I say!

Drill Baby, Drill!

[edit on 3-5-2010 by Chevalerous]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Using that logic I think mr. god is in alot of trouble.

He has centuries of war crimes he will have to be held responsible for. Famines, wars, murder, rape, hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes, floods, fires, etc... We have a list that will go on for pages upon pages.

I think we are looking at a very long sentencing here.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Looks like we will need so sacrifice some animals or children to cool down this god's temper.

God loves the smell of burning flesh.

The priest is to sprinkle the blood against the altar of the LORD at the entrance to the Tent of Meeting and burn the fat as an aroma pleasing to the LORD.

Leviticus 17:6

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Did he use the term "act of God" to suggest that Jesus himself went down to the depths of the ocean and caused the spill? Or did he use the term "act of god" as it is used in the insurance industry.

The term "act of God" is a term of art that appears in insurance contracts and other similar documents. It refers to an occurrence that is beyond any person's control like a natural disaster. In this regard, the oil spill was perhaps an act of God because it could have been caused by some freak occurrence that was beyond anybody's control.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Untergang
reply to post by webpirate

Finally! A politician with some sense. Personally, I'd blame god for everything that's wrong with society, and the world in general. But I'd have to believe in a god that gives a damn about humanity first. Which I don't.

If you want to blame someone, blame the ruler of this world which is the Devil himself. Satan is the the reason why this world is running backward. Had most of humanity not turned their back on God, this would have never had happened in the first place. Funny how most people live blindly basking in all of the gifts that Satan gives them such as money/power and all of the materialistic nonsense. But once a problem comes along it must be God's fault?

Money IS the root of all evil. Money/greed is the reason for this disaster.................not God.

Oh, our world is going to hell in a hand basket because of the piss poor decisions that other people have made. Yet, rather than take responsibility for their own actions, they just blame God. Yeah right.

I suppose you could say that is a "cop out" biblical proportions.

This politician is the king of idiots.

"Politician's are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason." - Mark Twain.

- KC

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Governor Perry, an "act of God" in legal terms does not involve humans. God did not drill that well!

A snake falling from a tree and biting me is not the same as me poking at the snake with a stick and then it biting me.

No, Governor, keep thinking up some other explanations, 'cause that one's pretty lame. In fact, in my opinion, you've made some pretty lame statements for awhile now. Maybe that's God's way of telling you to retire and move to Florida.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Karma_Chameleon

Who or what created satan? Or humans, or money or greed? I know, I know. Everything bad is satan's fault, and everything good is god's greatness. I'm not sure if this is the direction the OP intended for this thread, so whatever.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Well, here is the definition of "an act of God".

en.wikipedia.org...

Act of God is a legal term[1] for events outside of human control, such as sudden floods or other natural disasters, for which no one can be held responsible.

Governor Perry was in no way "blaming" God, he was just saying that in his opinion, nobody is at fault for the oil spill. Whether that is a short sighted statement or not remains to be seen.

[edit on 3-5-2010 by Wolftotem]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint
.... the oil spill was perhaps an act of God because it could have been caused by some freak occurrence that was beyond anybody's control.

Originally posted by Karma_Chameleon

If you want to blame someone, blame the ruler of this world which is the Devil himself. Satan is the the reason

Some blame god; some blame his nemesis, satan. Looks like we may have two heads on the same bird.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Untergang
reply to post by Karma_Chameleon

Who or what created satan? Or humans, or money or greed? I know, I know. Everything bad is satan's fault, and everything good is god's greatness. I'm not sure if this is the direction the OP intended for this thread, so whatever.

God created Satan yes indeed.

Human beings chose to empower Satan long ago. God gave humanity a choice, free will. Because of the choice humanity made eons ago, that "choice" has made the world the way it is today.

This world is screwed up because Satan is in control of it.

Let's not do this friend. Perhap's we can just agree to dis-agree, and let the Op's fine thread move along.

Shall we?

- KC

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

Fair enough.

I can live with that perspective.

- KC

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I told you god was a life & humanity hating psycho.

This just confirms it.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
LOL act of god!!!

Yeah and I buy what the government put out in the 9/11 commission report.

He will get voted back into office because so many idiots in Texas believe he can succeed us from the Union. All you got in Texas are idiots, racists, and the religious right. Only few of us are not in those categories.

top topics

join