It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats are never happy!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I was just listening to an interview with author Naomi Kline and she was bashing President Obama. According to her he hasn't kept most of his campaign promises. I've also heard a lot of b!tching and moaning from Liberals along those same lines. They claim he has betrayed them (i.e. not ending the wars, not crushing the banks, not doing away with "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," etc.).

It's true, there are plenty of things I would like to see him do; directing Atty. Gen. Eric Holder to pursue War Crimes charges against the architects and enablers of the Iraq War, chief among them. But I realize the man does not have a magic wand; and there are forces out there that would love to see him gone (and I don't mean merely out of office). He's probably in more danger than most imagine - right now. Just look at what "they" did to JFK.

I just wish people on the left would grow up and exercise some patience. Obama's presidency is young and God willing, if he makes it through this term and another, he will do great things. He's already done a lot, especially considering the absolute disaster he was handed when he won the election.

For the sake of openness, when I came to ATS a hundred years ago, I was a lifelong Republican. The scales fell from my eyes in the run-up to the invasion of Iraq and when it became clear that the Republican party demanded loyalty to the GOP rather than the Constitution and what was good for this country, I left it in disgust. I changed my party affiliation to UNafilliated and cast my vote for Obama in 2008. It was the best vote I ever cast.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
So you were a closet liberal masquerading as a Republican.

In modern day parlance that would be called a RINO.

Naomi Kline huh? What is here stance on the economic system to be used in the future?

You do not have to answer, it was rhetorical!

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Nope. I used to be a staunch conservative. Until I saw how hypocritical and criminal the GOP is. I can't explain what happened other than a lot of research coupled with life/military experience and my faith all combined to give me a whole new perspective on everything.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I know where the Op is coming from but I have to slightly disagree because dems are actually happiest when they are miserable.

[edit on 3-5-2010 by Alxandro]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Democrats are not the only ones that whine when they do not get everything they want. I am pretty sure you can google up some articles written by staunch conservatives that criticize George W. Bush or Reagan for not being conservative enough or caving in to the left.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

You are damn right there. Repubs are Dems in a faux conservative camo suit.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
It's because (and I've stated this many times before) Obama is not a liberal.

He's a moderate-right-authoritarian politician.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/06fb35f18a6f.png[/atsimg]

People were disappointed when they realized that the supposedly "liberal" candidate they voted for turned out to be another authoritarian-right leaning politician. It's exactly what we don't need right now.

Obama ran on a platform of change and gave the US more of the same. Of course liberals are upset about it.

Funnily enough, many conservatives are still convinced we have a radical leftist in office and that's why things are screwed up.

If only...

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
By definition being a Liberal is not about being "happy" because you are a liberal. It is about being just, it is about caring for your fellow man, planet, and all its creatures so that everyone, may one day have a chance at happiness. Not happiness because of what their politics or what they believe dictate, but for the happiness of every living thing on this planet. So yes, they are not happy by definition, because we can and should always do better. It is an impossible position that most liberals understand will lead them to frustration and suffering. That's what makes it a virtue.

[edit on 3-5-2010 by haterproof]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I knew Obama was no far lefty; so that's no surprise. People who claim he is don't pay attention. He actually reminds me of the extinct species known as liberal Republican. You know, a moderate pragmatist.

It just gets annoying listening to Democrats complain b/c he hasn't waved his supposed magic wand. No president can just snap his fingers and make every change everyone wants suddenly - especially the first African American president that every rightwing kook wants to go after. Obama's doing what he can when and how he can. The forces arrayed against him and against change are unimaginably powerful and entrenched.

If people want him to carry through on his promises THEY need to put more pressure on him. I'm sure he'd welcome it; b/c it would give him a much stronger hand to act. FDR said it best when he told his angry supporters: "Make me do it."

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Democrats are sometimes happy. Like when another republican gets caught trying to screw children or trying to get them some hot gay sex. It makes me laugh and laugh.

I can admit I am not thrilled with Obama. I hoped for the first thing he would do coming into office was to sick Eric Holder on the previous administration's war crimes. Didn't happen, nor does it look like it ever will. He said he wanted to move forward, but how can you when the past transgressions haven't been addressed?

We should have pulled out of Afghanistan, but nooooo. He sent 30,00 more troops. WTF?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
As a general rule, a president is doing his best job when walking down the middle, with the Left upset because he's too far right, and the right upset that he's too far left. When both sides are unhappy, that's proabably about the right spot for a President "of the people."

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
The scales fell from my eyes in the run-up to the invasion of Iraq and when it became clear that the Republican party demanded loyalty to the GOP rather than the Constitution and what was good for this country, I left it in disgust.

Then you failed, yet again. Do you honestly, really think the Democrat party is the party best representative of the Constitution?

Here's some perspective for you:

House Democrats Sneak Through Patriot Act Vote
February 26, 2010
thatsmycongress.com...

Democrats Capitulate, Vote Unconstitutional FISA Bill Extension
June 20th, 2008
keepamericafree.com...

Democrat Says Fairness Doctrine Should Extend to Cable, Satellite TV
Dec. 17, 2008
www.cnsnews.com...

Napolitano Defends Report On Right Wing Extremism Risk
www.huffingtonpost.com...

Hard left and right wing extremists on both sides do a great job of muddying their affiliated partys' names.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by sos37]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Failed? No. I never swore an oath to the Republican party. I swore an oath (joining the Army) to uphold and defend the Constitution. I may have left the GOP, but that doesn't mean I joined the Democratic party. I'm a free agent, friend. I follow those who display common sense.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd
It's because (and I've stated this many times before) Obama is not a liberal.

He's a moderate-right-authoritarian politician.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/06fb35f18a6f.png[/atsimg]

People were disappointed when they realized that the supposedly "liberal" candidate they voted for turned out to be another authoritarian-right leaning politician. It's exactly what we don't need right now.

Obama ran on a platform of change and gave the US more of the same. Of course liberals are upset about it.

Funnily enough, many conservatives are still convinced we have a radical leftist in office and that's why things are screwed up.

If only...

Say what?!

Obama is more far-left than you can imagine. He is no where near being "conservative" in your eyes.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by dragnet53

Obama is not far left. Name one thing he's done that is remotely far-left since taking office.

If he was, he would've signed an executive order immediately allowing gays to serve openly in the military (just as an example).

I've always joked there's a boring old white guy trapped inside that cool black body of his. Seriously, Obama does not govern as a far-lefty. Not by a longshot. That's why so many Democrats grumble. If today's Republicans had a clue, they might actually be somewhat okay with the state of things.

top topics

join