It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. reveals it has 5,113 nuclear warheads

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   

U.S. reveals it has 5,113 nuclear warheads

www.cnn.com

Washington (CNN) -- The United States has 5,113 nuclear warheads in its stockpile and many thousands more that have been retired and are awaiting dismantling, according to a senior defense official.

The release of the number of warheads marks only the second time in U.S. history the government has released the once top secret information.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
wow if you think of it it make quite a large arsenal.

considering only two of those ever been use on live target

im wondering how many the russian have or the french

hopefully we never gonna see a nuclear war cause it seem that there is a lots of those in existence

anybody know a link to a list of country and there arsenal

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org... This is a list of countries with nukes, and the numbers.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Nothing like showing your poker hand to the enemy!? "If I show them my hand, they will then show theirs!" ???

The thinking and reasoning is no longer Obamanomics,

It is Now, "Grade Schoolenomics!"

It is the stuff, we as kids used to do, up until around 5th grade, give or take a grade or two.

I am now going to sign off, so I can walk outside and scream for 10 or 15 seconds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Get ready neighbors!

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Are there even 5,113 potential targets?
We are a scared bunch of individuals.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
well that should be enough to destroy the world
about 10 times over.

Hey cabbie !!!!!
I need a ride off this rock

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Wow that's alot. but what's funny is that the united states wants all other countries to dissmantle their nuclear weapons, but they're the ones that have the most.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
What in the world are they thinking revealing that type of info? Geez there are reasons this information should be top secret. Can anybody give me any good reason why we would reveal this info? Grrrr,dirty word, dirty word, stupid idiots.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
This administration is the most treasonous bunch of friggin' idiots!!!

They run around apologizing for America, strategically and economically destroying us, not to mention facilitating social collapse by feeding government dependency.

When Obama said not long ago "whether we like it or not, we remain a dominant military superpower"

Like it or not?! How can any American not want to be a superpower. What kind of leader goes around saying such nonsense?!?!

Now, Clinton says "We think it is in our national security interest to be as transparent as we can be about the nuclear program of the United States." Source

The administration fights against transparency with its own people, but lets show our enemies any darn thing they want!

Un-FREAKIN-believable!!!

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by nickoli
What in the world are they thinking revealing that type of info? Geez there are reasons this information should be top secret. Can anybody give me any good reason why we would reveal this info? Grrrr,dirty word, dirty word, stupid idiots.

Why not?

Really, it is such a 'huge' number in relation to Weapons of Mass Destruction that it really doesn't matter.

It's no secret that the United States of America has nucular (sic) weapons and the numbers don't really matter.

Now, if only we could get rid of all the armies...

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Did Clinton reveal where all these nukes are located too?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by keepureye2thesky
Are there even 5,113 potential targets?
We are a scared bunch of individuals.

Most are probably quite old, and others are just upgrades of the older models...but you keep the old ones around. Some of the warheads might even just be tactical nukes (generally much smaller) vs strategic nukes (used to destroy entire populations)

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Hey, lets just tell everyone our state secrets. Sounds like a great idea. May as well tell everyone what our strategy would be in the event of a nuclear war while we're at it. And I'm sure that this will help immensely in our efforts in curtailing the nuclear programs in Iran and North Korea.

This country is run by a bunch of friggin' idiots.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Didnt anyone realize that Russia has just about 2x as many nukes as the USA? The wiki page that was linked earlier in the thread clearly points it out.

The reason they disclosed the number of US nukes is because they are trying to get other countries to reduce their nuclear inventory. (Thats what there telling us anyway)

Also, does anyone here really think that every nuclear weapon that the USA has is included in that number? Nobody thinks we may have more than the 5+thousand that was claimed? I do.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by IMChicago
Didnt anyone realize that Russia has just about 2x as many nukes as the USA? The wiki page that was linked earlier in the thread clearly points it out.

The reason they disclosed the number of US nukes is because they are trying to get other countries to reduce their nuclear inventory. (Thats what there telling us anyway)

Also, does anyone here really think that every nuclear weapon that the USA has is included in that number? Nobody thinks we may have more than the 5+thousand that was claimed? I do.

I think we probably do too (as well as Russia)...but I'm guessing they get by a technicality of which ones are "armed" and which aren't

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
And next week we will have 5,112...............

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
57,000,000 square miles of land on the earth means that 5113 warheads can be despersed all at once at a maximum of one detonation every 11,148 square miles of land.

Hope this helps with perspective.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Although I agree that revealing the number of nukes that we have is treason, and I'm sure that Obama thinks that this is the number we have, I bet there are some very smart military men that have given Obama a low-ball number. After all, Obama isn't going to go around and COUNT them all.
The military does not trust Obama in the least, and I don't blame them. He is no friend of our military. Rest assured, that we have many more than the publicized number.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   

The United States has 5,113 nuclear warheads in its stockpile and many thousands more that have been retired and are awaiting dismantling, according to a senior defense official.

That's not only scary, it's freakin' ludicrous.

They have 5113 nukes & then scream blue-murder about the idea of Iran getting nuclear power for electricity, let alone the the idea of 1 nuke.
Bloody hyocrites.

UPDATE
This proves the exact point I was trying to make.

Ahmadinejad Prompts UN Walkout
www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.aolnews.com...
UNITED NATIONS (May 3) -- The U.S. delegation walked out of a United Nations conference on nuclear nonproliferation during a speech by Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in which he asserted Iran's right to enrich uranium for peaceful purposes and slammed Western powers, especially the U.S., for allowing Israel to maintain undeclared nuclear weapons.
"One of the gravest injustices committed by the nuclear weapon states is equating nuclear arms with nuclear energy," Ahmadinejad told...

[edit on 3-5-2010 by acrux]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
This is news? Common people, remember those START and SORT treaties? Those told you just how many nukes we had, or atleast a general idea. The plan was to limit both the US and Russia's arsenals down to 1700 by 2012. Going off the number they released we can clearly see that's not going to happen though. I don't think it really matters when the numbers are that high. 10 nukes is too much let alone 5000+.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join