It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: UN In Special Sunday Session.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 09:32 AM
link   
As pointed out here the second draft of the UN resolution on Iraq was unacceptable.The UN is in a special Sunday session.This should be good news for all because it probably indicates that the high level diplomacy surrounding the D-Day commmemoration has borne fruit.

My view ? Expect good news soon.

The UN Security Council has been called into a special session to discuss events in Iraq and revise a proposed resolution.

It is expected that the US and the UK, sponsors of the latest Iraq draft resolution, will submit amendments to satisfy concerns of other Security Council members on Sunday.

US diplomats are hoping for a breakthrough after interim Iraqi Prime Minister Iyad Allawi sent a letter to the UN regarding how US occupation operations can be reviewed by a future Iraqi government.

Al Jazeera

[edit on 6-6-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 10:39 AM
link   
In spite of the wishful thinking of the Arab world and Al Jazeera I do not believe the ultimate fate of the nation of Iraq is in the hands of the UN. That is only an illusion.

The U.S.A. will remain in Iraq for many years and you can call it occupation or what ever label you wish to put on it. There is too much at stake now in Iraq. In spite of the hand over to the Iraqis wich is only a propped up governing body selected by U.S. objectives, nothing much will change in my view.

To really hand over complete power to the Iraqis and leave the country to its own device would mean we'd leave a nation full of radical muslims who would in an instant launch a civil war against the leadership pushed into place by our agenda. Then in time Iraq would be covered with terrorist training camps where they would build an army, with real numbers, real weapons, and the Jihad would become the goal of the masses. By the way Al Jazeera has aided in spreading propaganda against the U.S.A. so go figure!

We can dream, and have wishful thoughts about the end of the U.S. occupation of Iraq. But in my view it cannot happen, and if it does... be afraid.. very afraid!

Gazz

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I'm interested in what is being discussed by the 'special' UN meeting/session taking place.
I did find these two articles stating or mentioning Iraqi PM's position on the continued presence of US/Coalition troops in the future Iraq:
Allawi Slams U.S. Over Iraq Army, Baathists to Return
Iraqi PM Says Coalition Forces Should Stay
Iraq PM: U.S. Departure Would Be Disaster

I look forward to any type updating material or information on the specifics of this meeting and what was covered.

seekerof

[edit on 6-6-2004 by Seekerof]

join