It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraqis pay .05 a gallon and we pay 2.00 plus

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
Valhall... the war was to get WMD's. It became a goodwill mission when none were found.

As for the oil debate about whether or not certain US corporations benefit from installing a US friendly regime in Iraq, I defer to the wisdom of Cheney.

RANT - thank you for your consistency - which sometimes is also referred to as close-minded obsession. I believe we're talking about the cheap gas for the Iraqi's now. See, you guys can't have it both ways. If we're in it for oil, and we're giving away gas, then it's an act of goodwill. If we're not in control of the Iraqi oil and they are purchasing their own oil for nothing...then it's not a war for oil.

I've been watching the same as you...I understand the "intent" voiced at every step of the way. And I would offer that whether we are there to:

1. stop WMD's
2. liberate the Iraqi's
3. cut Saddam off at the knees
4. all/any of the above according to what the reason of the day is...

these are all acts that have inherent return possible within the act themselves. But this discussion is about the gas prices, and that is what I have been talking to.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Federal gas tax bite has risen precipitously in recent years , it was only 4 cents in 1980.
Now it's 18.4 cents per gallon then add on state tax.

www.gaspricewatch.com...

Also boutique blends and reduction of refineries due to enviro-law has hammmered abilty to supply the demand.

Easy way to lower energy prices is decrease the demand.

[edit on 6-6-2004 by Regenmacher]

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 10:50 AM
link   
People don't forget who is getting the oil contracts to pump that oil out of Iraqi soil.

I don't want to spoil the fun but is not such thing as goodwill, not from US I may say.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 01:56 PM
link   
It's their oil like Valhall said. It's not our oil, thats why they get their gas for less, and anyway most of the people dont even have cars...

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by I See You
While we Americans are paying 2.00 + for a gallon of gas...Iraqis are paying only .05 a gallon.

China make Nike shoes for like 1.50 a pair, we Pay any where from 60 to 150. Know one talks about that.

They should pay less if the own it. Dont hate.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 05:24 PM
link   
No one talk about how the employees are treated either. I'm not putting up a bitch about this, I'm merely relaying it to other members as I stated earlier in the thread.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by I See You
While we Americans are paying 2.00 + for a gallon of gas...Iraqis are paying only .05 a gallon. Isn't it great for us taxpayers to be such a help for the iraqi people? So much for America benfiting from increased exports of oil from iraq.

This article is in Rochester ...Democrat and Chronicle. I have no links but you have a computer.

if you consider our gdp vs theirs .05 a gallon for them is equivenant to the amount we pay here.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Well no doubt there's some people sticking it to us. 18 cents federal tax plus another 28 cents for WA state tax and the government is taking 46 cents a gallon. Every time I fill up 26 gallons that's 12 dollars in direct taxes I pay, how much more of that is taxes in the form of distribution etc. I don't know, but yeah they're raping us good.

While I expect oil companies to make a profit, I suspect there is some folks getting dirty stinking rich about now, they're just sitting there watching the money pile up contemplating trading that 3 year old 10 million dollar yacht for a new 26 million dollar one.

Still if a guy has the smarts to go out and make a killing I don't have a problem with it. But when it affects our entire economy it should be illegal.

Yeah, that is kind of funny how we have our own oil, but we are forced to pay world market prices for it. If that didn't happen the world market price wouldn't hold up. The price is not market driven its market engineered artificially. Here we have George Bush asking the Saudi�s to pump more oil to lower the prices, but we can�t use our own oil to do it. For some reason every time I think about high oil prices, I think about Iraq and I think GW knew that would happen, so he's just giving his cohorts what they asked for, huge profits.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Excuse Me?

We went to Iraq to free and oppressed people from a dictator and give them the gift of freedom and democratic process.

No to make the cost of gasoline cheaper for you to purchase���REMEMBER!

Or at least that�s the latest reason for 9,200 innocent Iraqi�s and 800+ of America�s best now being dead - and not for you to have more beer money.

And if you think $2+ /gal is �challenging� wait till after November�s election. Count on the price of gas being in the $3-3.5 range no matter who�s elected.

Son, your focus is all wrong. The two issues you�re being distracted from is the past 4 year�s steady decline in the purchasing power of the average weekly income for Americans. As of last report the average family weekly income from BLS gas declined in the 5% range;

Secondly, we�re running out of recoverable oil. The demand for petroleum is beginning to exceed supply and with China sucking up mass amounts of energy resources the projected date of �Peak Oil� (demand exceeds supply) maybe sooner then the forecast 2020 date.

Try being less myopic in outlook and pay attention to what�s really going on.

-- "He was distinguished for ignorance - for he had only one idea and that was wrong."--
----Benjamin Disraeli----

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 09:01 PM
link   
You better get your treatable disorder checked again pal. My opinion is what it is.....if you don't like it, so be it. I think you need to pay attention to what's really going on....not what your being told.

By the way ..I'm sorry that they are taking your beer money....I see why you have this attitude.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Let�s put it this way, as prices get higher the average income of the population does not get any better so we spend more even if we are on a budget, its just simple mathematics

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Like some people hinted, I think the gas price is fixed for their incomes, so that the amount of money the make reflects a similar buying power. I know it may not work in some cases, but demand usually dictates prices.
If people are poor and can't afford the gas, they don't have a market. Either way, they make money...it's getting closer and closer to communism in my eyes.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 09:22 PM
link   
A little sensitive if I might observe���I may have made my point somewhat insensately but the truth of it is beyond denial.

As far as my attitude that you refer too ���..you see I DO pay attention and always have and very few of anyone ever tell me what to do and finds its sardonic and somewhat caustic nature of always have been in charge����..forgive me.

As for the �worry� about beer money: First I do not drink. Second even if I did, cost would be of no concern.

The Good Lord has blessed me beyond belief and I would wish the same Good Luck to befall all����.. The simile was just a figure of speech����.nothing else. If you took it personally as an insult���..I apologize. I am sorry for the poor choice of words.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 09:23 PM
link   
im with valhall on this. their oil, their deal. you wanted war, well now its time to pay for it. makes sense no? dfh out.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
Like some people hinted, I think the gas price

The gas price was set by Saddam. One of the few "benefits" he provided the people of Iraq...........if you want to call it such.............I guess even he had a limit to the larceny he would perpetrate on his people����.a man of principles�������..NOT

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 09:37 PM
link   

The gas price was set by Saddam.

I didn't realize that this was a tradition carried through the war, was that in one of the links? Despite, in a free trade democracy, there is still government regulation to give them such a break.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 09:51 PM
link   
The price of gas being set by Saddam is a fact gleaned from my personal study of Iraq. I can not give you a link to where I read it right now���I poured thru tons of information before and since the war and no longer remember when I learned it.

If you REQUIRE proof I�ll give it a fair shot, good effort look. I�d prefer not to though ����It�s genesis I�m not so sure is all that important because what is���.is.

I would suggest its continuation by US was as not to create more consternation within a population already suffering from a lack of electricity, water, sewage treatment and other forms of indignity suffered in gaining their �freedom�����..As we can see, gratefulness is a shot lived expression of feeling��as we say to our Pols, �What have you done for me lately?�����..if ya catch my drift.

Here is an indirect reference:

Iraq's fuel subsidies, which are intended to mollify drivers used to low-priced fuel under Saddam, have coupled with the opening of the borders to create an anarchic car culture in Baghdad.

www.wilmingtonstar.com.../20040605/APF/406050556&cachetime=5

Which is a rather good news report on the Gas price sit-see-ation..............

[edit on 6-6-2004 by gmcnulty]

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Think you have it bad, you pay $2+ for a gallon, here in the uk its nearly a �1 (somethin like 75p average) for a litre...

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 10:20 PM
link   
TextI've been to Iraq, I spent about three months there. The majority of Iraqi's have nothing to speak of. They're fortunate if they have a car at all. They buy their gas along the roadside. There are no working fuel stations. The last exchange rate for the dollar to Iraqi dinar was:
140,000 Iraqi Dinar for $100.00 US The math is clear. Most Iraqi's are unemployed. Even .05/gallon is a fortune for them.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stuey1221
Think you have it bad, you pay $2+ for a gallon, here in the uk its nearly a �1 (somethin like 75p average) for a litre...

from my understanding, some european non-oil producing countrys are paying $10 (american money) for a gallon of gas, yet it never seems to get on the news, when $2 a gallon in america seems to have everybody outraged. maybe if less people bought SUVs, it wouldnt seem as bad.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join