It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Mexico treats Illegal Aliens

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by HalfAWorldAway

Actually the term Alien is so badly used.

Yes, it reminds me of how the Hutus in Africa would refer to the Tutsi as "cockroaches" in order to dehumanize them and therefore make it easier to commit acts of violence against them.

Before anyone flames me, I'm not drawing parallels between the two and suggesting that by calling people who are here illegally "aliens" that it is a suggestion that violence is okay against them. I am simply saying that it is harder to be more empathetic towards people if we are made to view them as somehow less than us because they are "illegal" and "aliens". The very term "illegals" implies that their very existence is illegal and therefore not right. When you analyze the statement, it would be silly to say this; however, we don't exactly analyze the term in our heads every time we use it.

It's similar to the term "enemy combatant". We slap that term on anyone we want to justify using torture against because it dehumanizes them. I hope you see my point.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Threads such as this and "The Plot to Wipe White People from the Face of the Planet" are really bothering me. Bigotry by others is not justification for us to use racism against them. How childish and archaic. We have to lead by example and break the stereotype that the western world is racist and oppressive.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by S.R.I.A.
Even beyond the how aliens are treated, lets look at how foreign nationals are treated when there legally.

What rights do foreign nationals have for property ownership, or working?

I think it definitely warrants the questions of parity for how each side treats each side.

There are restrictions with land ownership on the borders and the coasts but if it is anything like my country then foreigners set up a business which gives legal rights to land ownership without restrictions in the name of the company.

If you have a work permit the only restrictions are certain government jobs but that is the same as in the US.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by daskakik]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
ATS Member Outkast may be a foreigner that's why he has a problem Immigration laws

he/she has ,, or Did have a problem distinguish Native Born and Native American ( American Indian) to me that a dead give away that Outkast is not from or raised in the USA and it seem that every subject thread like this one as i told him what Origin im Europe and Native American descent as he/she thought (Native Born) from but wouldn't give me his Origin
he refutes..

it is sad that Mexico has harsher policy's for Illegal Immigrants !

and Mexican Illegals protest over in the USA ! Maybe we should have the same policy as Mexico! a few decade ago...

there is only one Spanish Speaking People that may never speak English
and that may not have the American vibe Culture ! but they are Completely Born American Citizens is Puerto Rico is a US colony

[edit on 4-5-2010 by Wolfenz]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint
For those of you who think there is some sort of hypocrisy here, you must keep in mind that most of the illegal aliens coming here are not from Mexico. Most come from Central American countries like Guatamala, El Salvador, and Nicaragua. Many of you think that every illegal alien is "Mexican" just because they speak Spanish and have brown skin. There are other Spanish Speaking countries in the Western Hemisphere besides Mexico.

I do think there is some sort of hypocrisy here, and I think you need to check your "facts".

According to the Office of Immigration Statistics, Mexicans accounted for 57% of the illegal immigrant population in 2006, while the countries you mentioned account for less than 10 percent collectively.

Here is a link to the source (see page 4 for the chart):

Estimates of the Unauthorized Immigrant Population Residing in The United States

So unless it has drastically changed since 2006, Mexicans make up the largest segment of the illegal population in the US, by far. So, do you see the hypocrisy of Mexico trying to meddle in our immigration policy?

And I don't think everyone who has brown skin and speaks Spanish is Mexican. I have friends from Cuba, Guatemala, and Columbia (all here legally, by the way).

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by CDippa

Border Patrol has two classifications for illegals on the paperwork that they fill out:

-Mexican

-OTM (Other than Mexican)

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
If you cross the North Korean border illegally, you get 12 years hard labor.
If you cross the Iranian border illegally, you are detained indefinitely.
If you cross the Afghan border illegally, you get shot.
If you cross the Saudi Arabian border illegally, you will be jailed.
If you cross the Chinese border illegally, you may never be heard from again.
If you cross the Venezuelan border illegally, you will be branded a spy and your fate will be sealed.
If you cross the Mexican border illegally, you will be thrown into a political prison to rot.
If you cross the U.S. border illegally, you get:

1. and the right to carry your country’s flag while you protest that you don’t get enough respect.
2. A job,
3. a drivers license,
4. a social security card,
5. welfare,
6. food stamps,
7. credit cards,
8. subsidized rent or a loan to buy a house,
9. free education,
10. free health care,
11. a lobbyist in Washington,
12. billions of dollars worth of public documents printed in your language,

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by hovernator
If you cross the Mexican border illegally, you will be thrown into a political prison to rot.

This is not true. The law that was on the books before had a 2 year prison sentence but the truth is that even before it was taken off the books it was rarely if ever enforced.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Where are all the Anti- racists and liberals????

I thought you all hate countries not allowing immigration?

Where are the Nazi references?

Why are you not all really mad about this 'racism'?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

So they want easier borders to cross into the states and harder borders to get into mexico? The irony...

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by agentofchaos
reply to post by jibeho

So they want easier borders to cross into the states and harder borders to get into mexico? The irony...

No, the US border is easy enough to get through. They just want to stop being deported cause they're tired of having to walk back.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

I think that, maybe except for some other nationalities, Mexicans have every right to cross the border and remain in Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, California, etc., as long as they want, however they want, it's really their land as the U.S took it illegally from them. In other words, they're reclaiming what it's truly still theirs. Why do you think Los Angeles is called as such and not "The Angels", or Nevada isn't called "Snowed"? These are Mexican names. If anything the Americans who live there need to get the hell out and learn that they are living in occupied territory.

Peace!

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

Well, then I stand corrected lol...

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by beyondsense

Wow.....so past history needs to be brought up again. The indians and the Mexicans need to follow the advice the Republicans got from the Democrats after the election...."We won, you lost, get over it". The backwards thinking you are expressing here is one of the reasons this is still an issue. Illegal is illegal, what part don't you get? Having racist organizations like La Razza spout off constantly about what these illegals deserve and what the White man owes them doesnt help their cause at all, not that they have one.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by beyondsense

edited Double post.
Don't know why.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by adifferentbreed]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
For all of you who seem to be doubting the material offered by Michelle Malkin in her blog because she is a right wing talk box, the tone of the material seems correct. However, as much as one disagrees with someone's political stance, it does not negate from the usefulness of the information being offered.

The information is what it is, no matter who delivers it. For example, the video below goes into more detail about Mexico's immigration policies, and from what I have seen from the video, it would appear Mexico is guilty of major human rights violations.

Moreover, has anyone raised their voices in furor about Mexico's corruption, and human rights violations against illegal immigrants in their own country? Sadly, we have heard nothing but crickets off in the distance.

I can see why so many are trying to get out of there, because Mexico is being strangled by rampant corruption, violence between the feuding drug cartels, lack of services, and a population stalemated in poverty while being oppressed by a select group of elites. Personally, you could not pay me to take up residence in Mexico, much less visit the country on vacation. Why contribute in anyway to an empire of hypocrisy and corruption. Maybe Felipe and his government ought to step off their soap box for a moment, because their argument of human rights and the illegal immigrant debate is rotten and rancid.

Maybe the US government ought to start airing out their neighbor's dirty laundry south of the border? They seem to have no problem trying to air out so called injustices of the US. In the case of the Arizona legislation, I think it is singling out a particular group and most know who that is. It could not be more obvious. All I have heard from those in defense or against the bill is conjecture. Either way, I am pleased that Arizona has at least brought this issue to forefront as it should have been done since Obama has taken office. Still, the issue is a job of the Federal Government, and should not be delegated to the border states. Just my two cents, and maybe Mexico ought to look at themselves in the mirror before judging others?

[edit on 4-5-2010 by Jakes51]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

This info is hyped to justify the new law. The new law does not need to be justified.

I've said it before and I will say it again the mexican immigration law that carried a criminal penalty was repealed 2 years ago and even when it was in place it was hardly ever enforced.

If I were to visit the US as a tourist and was driving around LA and was carjacked by some gangbanger. Would that make it alright for me to say "the US steals and robs tourists".

Of course they are trying to stay one step ahead of the law. So are all illegals in whatever country they are in.

How do I know this cause I'm central american and have lived in Mexico. I have had family and friends travel through mexico. Had a friend going north when he and another fellow where stopped and robbed. They where not robbed by police they were robbed by gang members.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik
reply to post by Jakes51

This info is hyped to justify the new law. The new law does not need to be justified.

I am in agreement with you, and the information being presented sounds a heck of a lot like hype as you put? They show the imperfection of another to somehow right off their own. That is the whole pass the buck culture. Personally, I am having a hard time finding any justification for this bill, and even a harder time trying to figure out how they can implement it with fairness in mind for those who would be in contact with the new law? I am still on the fence on this new law. I am having a hard time making an objective and honest opinion on the subject. The facts seem a little skewered, and there seems to be more rhetoric than substance on the issue.

I've said it before and I will say it again the mexican immigration law that carried a criminal penalty was repealed 2 years ago and even when it was in place it was hardly ever enforced.

I am unaware of the Mexican immigration law being repealed as you say? If you could provide a source or attribution that would be great. As for enforcement of their immigration law, it seems the Mexican authorities are enforcing it with vigilance, at least according to the video than Michelle Malkin. I tend side with the accounts from the video, because they actually used sources from within Mexico to comment on the controversial issue.

If I were to visit the US as a tourist and was driving around LA and was carjacked by some gangbanger. Would that make it alright for me to say "the US steals and robs tourists".

I never said I thought the Mexican government robs tourists, far from it. What I met is that by tourists visiting Mexico, it seems their spending is going into the hands of a corrupt government? I could be wrong, but I don't see the living conditions improving much for everyday Mexicans. Just my perception, and I have been to Mexico before as well. Beautiful country and warm people, but I would not want to live there. To be fair, the US government has corruption and waste problems of its own as well.

Of course they are trying to stay one step ahead of the law. So are all illegals in whatever country they are in.

How do I know this cause I'm central american and have lived in Mexico. I have had family and friends travel through mexico. Had a friend going north when he and another fellow where stopped and robbed. They where not robbed by police they were robbed by gang members.

Yes, it tends to be the case that most are trying to stay one step ahead of the law in the case of illegal immigrants no matter what country. Most are just trying to get a leg up and a better life. In that light, I can have empathy for their plight. However, to boldly shirk their responsibility to the laws in the country they are residing in is absolutely unacceptable, and it has been exhibited by all illegal immigrants, regardless of their country of origin.

As for your friend traveling north and being robbed by thugs, I am sorry to hear about that. It is a sick and twisted world we live in. However, in the case of being shook down by Mexican authorities, I can tell you from prior experience it goes on. It has happened to me while traveling in Mexico. It most assuredly happens to illegals and Mexicans within Mexico. Some in the Mexican law enforcement community are no angels, and have other allegiances than what one would expect. Thanks for the reply and your personal insight on the topic. A very controversial issue indeed.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by Jakes51]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

Just wanted to say that by the law not needing justification I meant that the US doesn't need to say "look how they treat illegals". It is free to pass any and all laws it deems necessary. Of course opinions vary on this one but whether it stays or gets shot down doesn't change the fact that justification is not needed.

Here is the only mention of change to Mexicos immigration law that I could find in english. It's on page 25.

Developing the US Mexico Border

The funny thing is that this and the fact that Mexico does not have a border patrol seem to be criticized in this study.

As to the "us robbing tourist" what I meant was that the video seems to imply that "Mexico" robs and kills immigrants when in fact it is criminals that are responsible and that isn't really indicative of how Mexico treats illegals.

The shakedown in Mexico is called "mordida" which means bite. It's an old tradition and I guess it's just seen as LEO pension fund. Believe it or not there are programs now that allow a person to report this type of abuse. Not perfect but at least they are trying.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

How does Mexico treat the legal ones, you know...the Grays.

[edit on 5-5-2010 by Beast Of Gevaudan]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join