It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Examining the Hash House Harriers

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Hello, everyone.

I'm writing this thread in the hopes of getting some questions answered and maybe hearing from a few hashers themselves.

The Hash House Harriers is a subculture that endears themselves the saying "A drinking club with a running problem". They pride themselves on meeting once a week and other "special" days. Hashers consider hashing to be a religion, yet this idea is centered upon debauchery, sexual innuendos, & mismanagement (as they call it). Doesn't this sound a bit like our government? Do we need a group, especially as world wide as the hashers, to celebrate everything our government does?

To tell you a bit about the history of this mysterious club:

Although it was officially registered as a society in 1938, 'The other branch of our ancestry comes from Malacca, where A. S. ('G') Gispert was posted in 1937 and joined a club called the Springgit Harriers, who also operated weekly under Hash rules and are believed to have been formed in 1935. Some months later, 'Torch' Bennett visited him and came as a guest on a few runs.

'Torch' Bennett technically missed being a founder member, because he was then on leave, bout on his return he introduced the first necessary organization - a bank account, a balance sheet and some system. More importantly, he seems, with Philip Wickens who joined later in 1939, to have helped to keep things going immediately after the war.

Sadly, Gispert had only a short time with his extraordinary creation, being killed in the fighting on Singapore Island on February 11th, 1942, whilst serving with the Argylls.

The founding members were all British, although Gispert was actually Spanish in origin, his parents having migrated to London some time before he was born. Extraordinarily both he and Bennett were accountants, as were Paul Barnard and Jack Bridewell who made a significant contribution to our activities of later years.' harrier.net...

Here is a copy of one of the official Hash dictionaries:
: www.minneapolish3.com...

Many people have paralleled it to Freemasonry due to the fact that defunct members are to be shunned by the rest of the group as the ultimate punishment. I suppose this means that friends you have acquired through the group are no longer your friends even if you encounter them in the grocery store, mall, etc.? Does anyone know if this is a fact? Or, has anyone had this happen to them once they decided to quit hashing for one reason or another?

Another interesting analysis seeks to define hashing as an extreme source of escapism since it involves excessive drinking and constantly references sex. All people who want to become hashers must begin as 'virgins' until the leaders of the group determine them to be acceptable addition to their club. They are 'hazed' into the membership by being bestowed with a new name that is typically sexual in nature, ridiculed, & made to guzzle an emense amount of beer. They are now a hasher for life.

The club follows several rituals after completing a trail, which includes crude songs, poems, & jokes. Some songs are as innocent as your humorous limericks, but can be as raunchy as the following:

[*SNIP*]

You can google search 'Hash Songs' to see more.

I tried to find out if this group does anything to benefit society, but haven't found any evidence.

'From the book HARE OF THE DOG traces the hap-hazard development of this zany pursuit around the world that germinated in a golden era of political incorrectness and personal freedom by bored military and diplomatic personnel. '

In my honest opinion, this ritualistic "religious" group sounds very much like a drunken version of the Grove's 'Cremation of Care' ceremony, but for the less knowledgeable & less important figures. I also find it suspect that the founder was knicknamed 'G', which is very masonic in my opinion as well as the fact that it was mainly comprised of political figures & military personnel. This group seems to worship anything & everything that makes society disgusting. I have no problem with drinking & I've had my share of hangovers, but I can't see myself singing songs about sexual diseases, beastiality, & demeaning women. Many of the runs & parties involve nudity, but few people get arrested because of the safety in numbers factor.

I realize that it's a world wide celebrated group, but in a world overrun with debauchery & hedonism, why do people want to participate in a group that appears to worship it in a ritualistic manner & call it their religion?

I'm also suspect about the fact that folks become addicted to it as many members claim to be. In this day & age, as we now understand how mind control works as well as how mass forms of energy can be used as gifts to luciferian gods, I just have to wonder why one chooses to participate in this type of "fun". Was it started as a means of desensitizing people & getting them to accept the idea of 'Order Out of Chaos'?

I tried to put a picture of the original Hash House, but having trouble. The clubhouse appears to have very masonic traits such as an obvious pyramid over the entrance as well as several columns. The picture is small & only of the outside, but you can see it in the link here: harrier.net...

Will someone please enlighten me? Thank you.

Mod edit: Sexually explicit content removed. Even when used as evidence, that is unnecessary and in violation of the site's TERMS & CONDITIONS.

[edit on 5/4/2010 by AshleyD]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
There was a guy I used to work with that was a hasher. He invited me to go to some hashes, but I declined the invitation. Based on what he told me, the hashing just sounded like an excuse to get drunk and act silly.

He told me each meeting of the club was called a "hash." At each hash, somebody was elected the hare. The hare would go ahead of the back and leave a trail. It was the object of the hash to find the trail and catch the hare. Along the way, the hashers would stop at predetermined points and drink. At the end of the trail, they would all get together and drink some more. Hashers would give themselves raunchy names.

As I see it, if I want to get drunk and act stupid, I do not need to join a club and run through the woods to do so. If you disagree with me on this point, you should look into joining the Hashers.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

Wow, I haven't heard of this for a long time! Thanks for bringing this up! I went on a hash run one time when I was stationed in Washington DC. The Chief of our unit was a part of them and asked me if I wanted to join him on one of their outings. It was bizarre!

The hare went out before everyone else. He laid the trail with flour and made a few really good false trails. The name of the game was to catch the hare. Following the splotches of flour. You were running the whole time!

When our group would come upon a fork in the road, some would go one way, some would go the other. I forget all the terminology we were using but I know you had to do a down down if you were the last to make it back. I did a down down anyway. A down down is chugging a beer after your relentless pursuit of the hare.

It was a lot of fun and I wasn't able to go on anymore hash runs after that because of whatever reasons. I mean they invited me and all but work and stuff was just in the way. It was fun man. I don't believe there's a conspiracy here but you never know. Yeah, there was some debauchery and drinking and what not. All in good fun though.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

Yes, I'm familiar with the public version of hashing, but I'm more concerned with the other stuff. I understand that since it has evolved in America, most of the hashes even involve oral sex & group masturbation. This just sounds a lot like things I've heard about the Skull & Bones, but on a more public level. I'm also wondering if this is some way to get people desensitized to how society is quickly descending the downward spiral as though it's acceptable. I'm not a Bible thumper, but I do believe in using emotions en mass to achieve some sort of agenda among luciferian groups. I realize that most of the hashers may not even be aware that their 'rituals' may be accomplishing a darker goal. Especially since most of their songs include & end with the words 'down, down, down' as if it is representative of the descent into hell.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jackflap

Did any of the debauchery you saw include a butt chug? I used to know a guy who said he saw three military guys doing this. It consisted of one guy pouring beer down the other's arse crack, while the third guy laid underneath to catch it in his mouth. If this isn't a form of desensitization, I don't know what is! I also find it interesting that the first hash house was called the Water Board.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I scored a load of vintage hasher t shirts several years ago. They were from the late 70s to early 80s.. they were kinda cool. I think I sold them all though.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by toolstarr

Where did you find them? What attracted you to them? Were you aware of the group before or after you acquired them? Final question: Have you ever hashed?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   

I didn't witness any butt chugs although I wish I had. That sounds like it would have livened up the crowd and been really funny. Nobody even mentioned any crazy rituals or anything. They had a lot of strange terminology like I said. Like when your group believed they had found the true trail of the hare, everyone would yell, On On!! Which prompted the other groups to try to follow the sound so they too would be on the trail of the hare. Like I said, I only went to one. From the things you've heard and uncovered it seems as though I may have missed out on the really funny stuff! Like the following.

I understand that since it has evolved in America, most of the hashes even involve oral sex & group masturbation.

[edit on 3-5-2010 by jackflap]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   

I guess you were involved in one of the family friendly hashes. LOL! You should look up your city & get involved again since things seemed to have livened up in them lately.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Never been much of a forum poster, but I would like to help clear up some other mis-conceptions of the hash.

I currently am in charge of one chapter (kennel) of the hash in the US, and feel that the examination was a bit biased and rife with mis-information.

You history is for the most part correct, however there is no explanation of WHY the hash was formed. "G" started this with his military unit as a way to get exercise and work off the hangovers from the previous evenings. The "hash name" which can be sexual or not was created as an equalizer so that military rank was removed from the gatherings and everyone would be on even terms.

It never started with sexual connotations and many hashers have very "family friendly" names and the songs are not all that raunchy. It's all dependent on where you go and what that kennel does.

We do have our fun, drink, sing stupid songs and "escape" from our daily lives, but know that we have people that do not drink alcohol and just come for the exercise. We have people from all walks of live, lawyers, doctors, military, cable guys, waiters, etc... but at the hash we are all equal and no one judges you. We are all there just to play a game of Fox and the hounds and laugh with good people.

As openly sexual as some people can be, there are also many people that are not that way and avoid the nudity checks that some hares do put on trail. No one is frowned upon because they don't flash other people and the group masturbation and oral sex is a bit of fantasy that doesn't happen.

We have had brushes with the law, thinking that the flour is anthrax, or the few people that drink in public, but the police are usually understanding the we are just there for a "break" from everyday stresses.

There are times when people cross the line and we do not stand for that. If there is physical violence or disrespect of a person's boundaries, then yes a hasher can be banned from hashing. We only do this for that person's safety and everyone else's.

If a person leaves the hash and or doesn't want to come anymore, they are never looked down upon, in fact, I still talk with quite a few people that are former hashers and maintain great friendships with them.

We do thrive on our longevity and bragging rights of what we do trail wise and where we have been, but it's only because we enjoy it and like to make a challenge for everyone else. I know a few hashers that have been hashing for decades and still come out because they love it. We are a worldwide family and will always be there for our fellow hashers, be it for a shoulder to lean on, moving help, or a ride from the airport while traveling. It's very innocent, we just get a bad rap.

On On...

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by OnOnH3

Fair enough. I understand that not everyone becomes involved with XX debauchery, but isn't it a bit ridiculous to get together & have that many people involved & do nothing for society except to have your fun & get drunk while that world crumbles? How come the three main members were accountants? It said that the first thing they did was to open a bank account for the hashes, yet their food sucked, hence the name 'hash', so the money wasn't going towards the food. Since it's considered a religion, is the money they collect & deposit tax free? What hash do you belong to? Who is your bookkeeper & what does the hash spend their money on? It seems as though it was started as a front to collect money, but for what cause? Do you folks ever organize & do things to benefit anything except Bud & Miller stocks? And the thing about everyone being accepted & not judged. My "friend" is a hasher & refuses to invite me because he says they'll treat him differently. So much for "real" friends & total acceptance without being judged, huh? Maybe you'd be willing to invite me to your hash sometime since you seem to be a lot more accepting & less judgemental.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Let me disclose up front that I am a hasher, and that I run with an American Hash that decended directly from the one established by account A.S. Gispert in 1938. The term "hash house" refers to the mediocre food then served by the Royal Selangor Club in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. The club is not and was not owned or operated by the Hash, and we certainly were not responsible for the cooking. Gispert was not a member of the military when he founded the club, but joined after the Japanese British and American territories in the Pacific.
The Hash is an extremely decentralized club with no worldwide leadership. In my experience, I have never seen most of the behavior described here. It is certainly not a religion. We don't drink more beer than any rugby club. In my club. I have seen the Hash do special runs throughout the world, raising millions and millions of dollars for local charieties since 1989. All of this is very well documented.
There is zero nudity in my club, but your shoes may get wet and your legs muddy and cut by sticker bushes.
My particular club has members from around the world representing diverse cultures and opinions. We have retired military officers, respected engineers, and a great mechanic. We try not to talk about our lawyers. Like most cross-sections of society, some of us go to church while some do not. Nearly every song referenced (again, not practiced in my club) was stolen from rugby clubs. Shall we discuss the Great Rugby Conspiracy?
I'm happy to answer questions and hope I've been respectful, despite being tarred by some rather imaginative statements.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by AlrightyThen

It seems as though everyone knows about what goes on, but always denies that it's happening in their hash. Can we say 'Deny Everything'? I doubt anyone even explored it & just goes along for the "fun". 'G' was in the military prior to joining the hash since my source states that he was 'posted' in the area. You don't get posted anywhere unless you are in the military. It truly sounds as though it was started as a means to launder money where nobody would suspect. You state that the hashers raise hundreds of dollars for charities & it's well documented. Where is this documentation? What charities have received money from your organization? Obviously, many of you are in it for what you consider to be "fun", but nobody wants to admit to the debauchery & hedonistic practices that are well documented.

Are you folks the original sheeple? Happy to be considered to have half a mind, following the pack, humiliating each other, singing degrading songs that are aimed at women & Jews, & participating in activities that only the hash dictionaries will admit to?

You folks obviously don't want to admit to doing any of the behavior & I don't blame you. I wouldn't admit to it either. I'm just curious & find it interesting that as soon as I started questioning my friend about such things, I'm all of a sudden not allowed to attend & discover for myself what it's all about. I'm not a prude, but in a world where we need large groups to make a difference, the hashers fail the test. Of all the research I have done, all the kennels are too proud of their nasty nicknames & beer guzzling to brag about all the charities they've donated to, if this even happens.

I think many of you should stop having half a mind & start questioning what the group is really all about as well as how/why it was started in the first place. Maybe the truth would hurt too much? And it certainly isn't fun to face the truth, so I guess that won't happen.

In my opinion, anything started & groomed by the military & politicians should be investigated.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
OK, so none of this happens? I live close to this certain place where this hash tood place where a woman picked up 12 quarters without using her hands??? Are you telling me this is all BS? The only "charity" mentioned is the Hash Special Olympics. I had to laugh at the Biggest (sic) Contest

Everyone can read this from the link below since I don't want to lose anymore points for utilizing evidence ATS deems vulgar, but hashers obviously don't.

www.dbh3.us...

Comments anyone? Waiting for all hashers to start objecting.....

I didn't want to start posting any specific kennel activities, but all the hashers who have posted to this thread seem to be blind, in denial, or too embarrassed to admit that they participate in such degrading, immoral, humiliating & desensitizing activities. Why was this group started by the military & politicians again? Hmmm, maybe so soldiers could more easily sexually torture & humiliate prisoners in Abugraib? Maybe as a means of feeling as though their actions are acceptable to the general public & just something to laugh at? It's all fun & games anyways, right?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Just some evidence that it does have ritual & religious overtones:

The following ceremony is performed by the religious advisor when someone is deemed acceptable to the group & relinquishes their identity.
NAMING CEREMONY (where you lose your 'Nerd Name", or Christian name)

RA: Prostrate yourself before your fellow hashers.
(Hasher kneels or lies prostrate on the ground in accordance with local custom, with assistance from mismanagement as necessary)
RA: Before you are initiated into the fold and bestowed the holy Hash Name, what have you to say for yourself.
Hasher: I'm not worthy.
RA: (reads verses)
1. In the beginning was the Hash, and the Hash was with Beer and the Hash was Beer.
2. The same was in the beginning with Gispert.
3. The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Hash, that all men through him might believe.
4. And when he was baptized, went straight up and received the Down-Down.
5. And lo a voice from heaven, saying, this is my beloved hasher in whom I am well pleased.
6. Not by the works of righteousness we have done, but according to the mercy of the Pack are you saved, by washing of regeneration, and renewing of the holy Thirst.
7. Therefore if any person be in the Hash, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things become new.
8. Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed as a competitor, but alive as a member of the Pack, to boldly go forth on the trail and pursue the Holy Hash Beer.
(RA grasps the bag of flour and sprinkles it on the Hasher)
RA: I baptize you in the name of Gispert and all other great hashers who came before you.
(RA sprinkles beer on the Hasher)
RA: Your friends have gotten together and chosen your name and you will hereafter be known as ____________.
(As local tradition dictates, the rest of the pack may be issued flour and beer to further 'baptize' the hasher)
RA: Rise and cleanse thy soul.
(The hasher is handed a beer and does a down-down in accordance with the traditions of the hash)

Here is the prayer to Gispert, or 'G'
BLESSING OF "G" (Gispert)
Optional prayer offered by the religious advisor before the hash. Should be performed in the style of a Catholic/Episcopal dismissal

RA: The -buzz- which passes all understanding, (or -thrill-)
Keep your hearts and minds in the knowledge and love of hashing,
And the Blessing of "G" all plastered:
The Flour (make first slash of "X" in the air)
The Sun (complete the "X" in the air)
And the Short Cut that pays off (make circle around "X" in the air)
Be among you and remain with you always.
Go Forth to Love and Serve the Hash.

Pack: Thanks be to "G!"

These rituals seem to mirror the same rituals that the Masons, Skull & Bones, & the Illuminati participate in. I'm not looking to upset anyone or break up any hash groups. I'm just someone who searches for the truth. If I see something that doesn't seem right or is deliberately being covered up & denied, I have to examine it & question everything about it. I have no problem with paganism & have studied & even dabbled in witchcraft, so I'm not trying to judge anyone or what they want to participate in. I'm just attempting to get to the bottom of why this group was originally created, what purpose it serves & what 'G''s agenda was by promoting these sorts of activities.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   

My Dad actually founded the Madras (Now Chennai) Hash in the late 80s, it was actually a family event, yeah there was drinking but it mostly entailed running around for charity, BBQs and a lot of fun.

I can't speak for other Hashes, and there were a few dodgy songs and rituals, but nothing weird or strange.

Sometimes people just want to have some fun, drink and have a laugh.

I actually participated in the Saudi Arabian (Riyadh) Has with my folks, and as you'll know it's a dry country (non-alcoholic) so there was no drinking, and all religious non-Islamic activities are definitely forbidden (or were in those days), like I said, a good laugh, BBQs and a lot of running!!

All the best, kiwifoot

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

Thank you for your post, Kiwifoot. Was your dad in the military? What types of charities did the group contribute to? Can you provide evidence of these charitable contributions? I need to know that this group makes some kind of contribution to society. Please, someone offer me some evidence. Since I am obviously not welcome at my friend's hash, I cannot see for myself what goes on, so I am left to my own research & posting this thread for info & documentation. I don't want to believe that the group is full of self-absorbed people who just want to have extreme kinds of fun that may or may not be family friendly. I really don't care. I just wish someone would come clean & admit that this stuff does happen instead of denying everything. If these occurances are not true & don't happen, you folks need to find out who is posting slanderous comments & spreading disinformation because it's hurting your groups' images.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought

Thank you for your post, Kiwifoot. Was your dad in the military? What types of charities did the group contribute to? Can you provide evidence of these charitable contributions? I need to know that this group makes some kind of contribution to society. Please, someone offer me some evidence. Since I am obviously not welcome at my friend's hash, I cannot see for myself what goes on, so I am left to my own research & posting this thread for info & documentation. I don't want to believe that the group is full of self-absorbed people who just want to have extreme kinds of fun that may or may not be family friendly. I really don't care. I just wish someone would come clean & admit that this stuff does happen instead of denying everything. If these occurances are not true & don't happen, you folks need to find out who is posting slanderous comments & spreading disinformation because it's hurting your groups' images.

No worries bud, this was seriously a decade before the internet, several countries ago in my life, I couldn't prove a thing.

As I said, I really can't vouch for other Hashes, but in India it isn't hard to do something good for charity, there was so much need for it, I seem to recall us running for a childrens hospital once ( I was young, no alcohol for me but my memory - yeish!)

I can honestly say I never saw anything out of control, yeah there was drinking, but nothing extreme.

Sorry I can't help more, I will say that overseas the Hashes are usually a mix of Military, Diplomatic and Business, maybe more affluent than most other walks of life, so there is bound to be some weird stuff!!

My Dad was a Director of an Engineering Firm, I will add he was a Mason, just to get you going, but I beleive he isn't any more!

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Thank you for answering my questions to you! I applaud your honesty.

Also, thank you for mentioning what your father did for a living & the fact that he was a Mason. It makes me happy to know that the hash you were involved in ran for a children's hospital. Even though you cannot offer proof, I do understand why proof isn't available for the non-internet years. I hope that your father is still alive, & if he is, could you ask him if the founder 'G' was also a Mason? I'm hoping he would know since it wasn't that many years between when Gispert founded the hash & your father starting his kennel. Maybe history hadn't had a chance to be buried & obscured so much between 1938 & your father's participation.

Thanks again & best wishes to you!

[edit on 4-5-2010 by Afterthought]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
These rituals seem to mirror the same rituals that the Masons...

Could you explain what you found to be similar between this and Masonic ritual?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join