It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Maher: ‘Why Isn’t Barack Obama Getting More S–t’ For The Oil Spill?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I was totally surprised last week when I saw this on TV. Bill Maher actually questioned the MSM and the audience for their (non)reaction to Obama's reaction to that major oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

For once Maher was honest in his evaluation, when he said if he were quoting George Bush instead of Obama, the audience would be whooping and cheering.

Maybe Maher is finally growing up?

www.outloudopinion.com...

www.eyeblast.tv...

ETA: Short video at link...I couldn't get it to imbed.

[edit on 3-5-2010 by mishigas]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I think Obama's fighting a secret war with Bush/Cheney/CIA factions that are still operating in the background and can't stop because they have too many fingers in pies including the lucrative drug cultivation in Afganhistan,

If you read between the lines on events of the last 12mth's, there is a lot of turmoil going on and Obama hasn't travelled a fraction of the times that Bush did and I believe that's because it isn't safe for him to do so,

I also think as is the general consensus of many that he is a plant and because of this he is being constantly blackmailed and that is possibly the reason some of the major decisions he has done to the American people is because he's balancing his options constantly,

Why on earth Bush (Snr/Jnr), Cheney, Clinton, Bernanke, Geitner, Pelosi to name a few are still at large to carry on manipulating and basically robbing the good people of the USA is beyond comprehension,

Why the Bankers, Heads of: The FDA, Monsanto, Drug companies etc are still free is also beyond me!

So to summarise, Obama should either man up and produce his birth certificate and supporting evidence and bury the speculation once and for all, and if he doesn't he should be impeached, then once that's been sorted all the above mentioned should be arrested and put on trial for war crimes and crimes against humanity,

There is a war going on in America and it's against the average peace loving decent Americans whom are being manipulated, and fed lie upon lie and being down right robbed of your economy and ability to recover from a staged recession,

Peace and good will.

Peace

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Because people are still trying to find a way to blame Bush for this mess.

\crickets

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

What is odd about this, is that Maher is usually a staunch liberal.

Usually the people on that show consider Obama to be a man of high esteem, almost above reproach.

To say something like that to a mostly liberal audience, is sort of shocking, maybe he just wanted to get a rise out of people?

[edit on 3-5-2010 by WhiteDevil013]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by kushin

LMAO, I have never seen anyone do that many mental gymnastics to justify their savior. Wouldn't it be far easier for you just to admit that your beloved President is not very good at his job. If I ever get addicted to drugs, I am coming to live with you. You are the greatest enabler and co-dependent I have ever witnessed.

As far as Bill Maher goes, I guess this statement just moves him from being a giant douche to mearly being a turd sandwich.

[edit on 3-5-2010 by SlickOil]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
About time he understood there is no left or right, just different management.

The stuff that geezer spouts against people on his view of the right is bizarre and he calls religious people zealots.

But at least he spoke out on this, like you said if this was bush the whole media would be going crazy, especially hollywood.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Finally people are starting to realize that Obama is systematically dis-mantling this country. Even the extreme left of the Bill Mahr's of the world. I would normally say that this guy is the biggest TOOL I have ever had the mis-fortune to hear. But for once he has got it right.
Jon Stewart has also "turned" the corner to know that his tactics are creepy and blatantly taken down our system of government.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I suppose next your going to say it was obamas fault that the oil spilled. He's not perfect but you cant blame him for everything.

[edit on 3-5-2010 by conspiracydude]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
About time he understood there is no left or right, just different management.

The stuff that geezer spouts against people on his view of the right is bizarre and he calls religious people zealots.

But at least he spoke out on this, like you said if this was bush the whole media would be going crazy, especially hollywood.

Indeed, the very activity of politics requires one to be willing to sacrifice others to get power. All politicians care about is their next election. Obama and the left are no different from the right in this. The tea party, despite how red neck their membership appears, has some valid complaints in this department.

Regardless, you'd be hard pressed to find me at one of their rallies; I'm not nearly a big enough fan of Palin [the world ends if she's elected US president].

But I digress. The media was staunchly against Bush because of some sentimental wiring of anti-Vietnam protest flashbacks in the minds of the liberal politicans and media members. Of course, the blind faith flag waving conservatives who supported him for no reason were also to blame allowing him to torch the consitution as he did his will.

Everything should be analyzed from as many perspectives as can be mustered, and Obama's presidency is no different. He has tried to do some good... for corporations involved in green energy. His health care bill has yet to be observed as either positive of negative, but I am a bit uneasy allowing the government more things to tax for.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Though I finally agree with Maher about something, it's still nice to see him get owned by George Will.

For the first time I see Bill back peddle.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ea14a8ab755a.jpg[/atsimg]

Actually the PRESIDENT is suppose to take blame for all "national disasters."

Did you fail to read his Job Description?

Look at the Pic and Read closely.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Regent Leo

Nice take on the topic Regent.

You are completley right (in my opinion) when it comes on your take on politics. It does not matter "left or right. Just that the people do what they are told to do.

When I was younger I was what I thought a true Democrat... then within recent years I have called myself a Republican. Now I don't want to associate myself with either. They both have the wrong agenda for this country.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas

Or perhaps YOU are finally beginning to realize that us "libs" actually DO care about issues, the environment and standing for the truth rather than the broad mischaracterizations that we "blindly" support Obama.

Regardless, thanks for thread. S&F

ETA: For sake of clarity, the dig was at Obama for agreeing to allow drilling, not for the spill. Thread title is misleading.

[edit on 3-5-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious

Originally posted by mishigas

Or perhaps YOU are finally beginning to realize that us "libs" actually DO care about issues, the environment and standing for the truth rather than the broad mischaracterizations that we "blindly" support Obama.

Oh puhleez... most libs don't care about the real issues any more than the GOP does. Both sides have an agenda and to hell with the real issues. Don't even pretend to be part of the group that actually gives a damn about this country, KK, because we've seen your posts and your mindless banter. You are as "obama-faithful" as they come and will stop at nothing to bash the GOP. There are MODERATE-LIBERALS out there who give a damn about the real issues, but you, sir - you are definately not one of them.

On this issue one liberal in the MSM has showed a little backbone in questioning the Obama machine and he should get a BIG round of applause for that.

What's your excuse for the rest of the MSM who continue to beat the Obama drum?

[edit on 3-5-2010 by sos37]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

There are two hot-button issues with me. I am pro environment and anti war. I make NO EXCUSES for that. I was quite upset about Obama's decision to appease the chanting GOP Drill Baby Drill crowd. Should he not deliver on his promise to bring our troops home from Iraq, you will never hear another peep from me in his support.

Originally posted by sos37

I make no excuses for MSM. FOX News seems to do a fine job of canceling them out.
(Besides HBO = MSM? They are predominantly a Movie channel.)

But thanks for noticing that I'm consistent.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteDevil013

What is odd about this, is that Maher is usually a staunch liberal.

Usually the people on that show consider Obama to be a man of high esteem, almost above reproach.

To say something like that to a mostly liberal audience, is sort of shocking, maybe he just wanted to get a rise out of people?

I think he was serious. It does seem like an unfortunate political position Obama took. I mean, just weeks before one of the worst offshore spills in decades, he floats a proposal to allow new offshore drilling ?

BP will probably never pay for the true costs of this accident.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious
reply to post by sos37

There are two hot-button issues with me. I am pro environment and anti war. I make NO EXCUSES for that. I was quite upset about Obama's decision to appease the chanting GOP Drill Baby Drill crowd. Should he not deliver on his promise to bring our troops home from Iraq, you will never hear another peep from me in his support.

Originally posted by sos37

I make no excuses for MSM. FOX News seems to do a fine job of canceling them out.
(Besides HBO = MSM? They are predominantly a Movie channel.)

But thanks for noticing that I'm consistent.

Well, you did surprise me. That's the first time I can remember a non-sarcastic and direct answer. Thank you for that. My apologies on the rather terse wording of my previous post.

Though I am a conservative, it seems we do share a concern for the environment. Environment and abortion rights are the two issues I differ from the main conservative base. I believe we should be taking great lengths to take care of the planet as it's the only one we have. This oil spill will do incalculable damage to the wildlife, environment, ecosystem, etc.

While I'm not completely against drilling for oil, disasters like this spill go far to illustrate how badly we need new sources of energy.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Hat's off to Bill Maher. And as to why the President has or hasn't done something, it's very simple. The President has done the vulcan mind meld. He has been assimilated by the borg. He has been touched by the Vorlons. He has received the mark of the beast. There can be no other explanation. It happens to every president. Once they get into office, they change. No matter how good or bad they were before, after they get in, something happens to them. If they didn't know who really runs the world before, they learn.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Though I am a conservative, it seems we do share a concern for the environment. Environment and abortion rights are the two issues I differ from the main conservative base. I believe we should be taking great lengths to take care of the planet as it's the only one we have. This oil spill will do incalculable damage to the wildlife, environment, ecosystem, etc.

Do you think that the conservative base, philosophy, or whatever we want to call it, has a general disregard for the environment? I don't, and I'm pretty conservative in my views.

The areas where I do differ with libs on the environment is when it comes to man vs certain other living beings. For example, in California, vast swaths of rich farm land is being turned into dust bowls because a judge ruled in favor of a two-inch fish called the Delta smelt, and precious water was diverted away from the farms. That's just one example.

We can generally come up with an engineering or scientific solution to ensure that we don't ruin the land while we harvest it. The problem is, sometimes the cost is high, and people want a cheap solution.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
The real problem is that the presidency of the United States means nothing anymore. The president doesn't do anything for himself, and panders to special interests and his party's direction. The president no longer thinks for the country, and hasn't for some time.

Honestly, it seems that the presidency went downhill with Jimmy Carter, whose policies were so idiotic that even his own people detested him. Regean wasn't that bad, but one should question his economic principles. Then George H.W. Bush, who responded well with the Gulf War, but ended it poorly and without vision due to domestic arguments. His desire for making good with both parties was a desire driven in madness. He tried to do what he wanted by compromising, and of course killed his political career in the process. After him was Bill Clinton, who rode on his economic upturn as if he did a great thing, but his own party's decision to push for "racial equality" led us into the toilet of an economy we have today. Then there was Bush Jr. who single handedly destroyed any idea of constitutional principles in the presidency.

And we get to Obama, who has likewise done the will of his own party in all things. He can't even scratch his back without his party's approval.

God, the future of the United States looks bleak. Presidents should not do what their party wants, they should not do what lobbyists and special interest groups want, they should do what is best for the United States in security and defense.

top topics

join