It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet Explorer 8 called ATS unsafe and dangerous site 4 times in past 2 days.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by dashar

For instance: trying to access a u2u - instead of opening the message, I'm redirected to the main board page (here) same situation when trying to access any other feature in the Member Tools drop down menu above. Everything redirects. Very confusing.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

earlier today i did have a prob but was getting a blank page. if your useing opera do an update the last version was buggy.Also i took my java out uninstalled it because i dont think opera runs well with it .

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
reply to post by dashar

Question about Opera:

(I just posted this in board problems, too)

I cannot access any of the features in Member Tools, I'm simply re-directed to the main board screen. Any thoughts why this would be? I presume you are not having the same problem?

I'll discuss this with you after we have dinner.

Seriously, though, if you are talking about Member Tools here, check your Opera security level. If it is a tool within Opera, trying a reinstall.

I have used Opera for several years now and it worls flawlessly for me on three different machines.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
[edit on 3/5/2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

I think some of the youtube vids and/or links to other pages/sites have bugs in them... there have been times when i've viewed a video here or another site through a link and my computer has switched off...

I use IE8 and havn't had messages saying 'this site is no good'...

Maybe some people want ATS shut down!!

Also some software updates carry bugs so watch out for those... i think Java updates is one of them

[edit on 3-5-2010 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Seriously folks, it's all about the ads that ATS rotates through. I'm sure they try their best to filter out the baddies, but some do get through. Next thing you know, you're being told you've got a virus and a hundred pop ups. It could be java, it could be ie...

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
IF your wise you will bin java or defo dont update it,but rather download the full file of a new versions ,then uninstall the older one.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

The same thing happened to me awhile back.
I accidently clicked on it and it held my computer
for ransom for about a week.
One of the forum admins spent an hour with me
over the phone fixing it.Thank-you very much!

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Yeah I thought I was being neglectful because I don't update Java...now it sounds like that is probably a good thing.
I dunno, maybe I was just being too reactionary, it's just with the censorship rumors and ADL report...I guess I thought maybe ATS was being targeted somehow.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
It is because in the last 90 days it has been reported to Microsoft that the site is unsafe and clicking on the site can have harmful actions such as a Virus(es) download to your computer without your consent or knowledge. It is listed as a potentially harmful site for a reason. Either some has been purposefully introducing bad code and/or viruses, or someone closer to home is trying to sabotage the site or the site is like this for a reason. Better ask a moderator huh? That should get some answers? Do you think?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by dashar

Wow!
Thanks for the sanbox info. I've never heard of it before.
Cheers.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by C11H17N2NaO2S
It is because in the last 90 days it has been reported to Microsoft that the site is unsafe and clicking on the site can have harmful actions such as a Virus(es) download to your computer without your consent or knowledge. It is listed as a potentially harmful site for a reason. Either some has been purposefully introducing bad code and/or viruses, or someone closer to home is trying to sabotage the site or the site is like this for a reason. Better ask a moderator huh? That should get some answers? Do you think?

That's a pretty bold statement. Care to back that up with info?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Which is exactly why I have Firefox.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I don't know about the virus and Microsoft saying it is unsafe thing, outside of logical guesses such as someone got a nasty thing from here and told Microsoft about it so they alerted

but,

for those having problems with being redirected to the wrong part of the site, it could be because of the new update, they brass is probably working on that, and it is causing bugs in the site.

but that is admittedly from a completely uneducated source on this subject. Just my guess

also

*insert obligatory "get firefox not IE" comment...

I hope you figure it out though! good luck friend.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by dashar

reply to post by leo123

Solved -
Thanks for the suggestions!

[edit on 3/5/2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by davidgrouchy
It could be that
your Java install has been
compromised and the advertising
here is just triggering the bad code.

David Grouchy

BINGO! Dave ... you obstinate and oft abrasive sort.

The vast majority of these type "fake alert" fraud "detections" are either java or flash related/triggered.

My suggestion to Anyone experiencing such is to uninstall both (coompletely), run ComboFix (preferably in Safe-Mode w/Networking the first time), and then reinstall the same, flash & java.

Your system will thank you, and I can near Guarantee your "issues" will prove resolved ... a thing of the past.

They're the latest "craze", if you will, with regards the efforts of those seeking monetary gain from such, and they're getting increasingly transparent with regards "method or means of actual injection" ... even to the extent of laying dormant until your browser accesses or has been pointed to a given ad network/server.

Much the same as various malware payloads contain keyloggers which are loaded into resident memmory ... remaining "silent" .. only to be activated/engaged once your browser is seen to be accessing a secure site. (i.e. banking, financials, ebay, paypal, etc.

Just sayin' ... Happy surfing.

[to add]
MS IE8 Still has Many issues and exploits yet to be resolved or addressed ... typical, for them.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c

Originally posted by davidgrouchy
It could be that
your Java install has been
compromised and the advertising
here is just triggering the bad code.

David Grouchy

BINGO! Dave ... you obstinate and oft abrasive sort.

The vast majority of these type "fake alert" fraud "detections" are either java or flash related/triggered.

My suggestion to Anyone experiencing such is to uninstall both (coompletely), run ComboFix (preferably in Safe-Mode w/Networking the first time), and then reinstall the same, flash & java.

Your system will thank you, and I can near Guarantee your "issues" will prove resolved ... a thing of the past.

They're the latest "craze", if you will, with regards the efforts of those seeking monetary gain from such, and they're getting increasingly transparent with regards "method or means of actual injection" ... even to the extent of laying dormant until your browser accesses or has been pointed to a given ad network/server.

Much the same as various malware payloads contain keyloggers which are loaded into resident memmory ... remaining "silent" .. only to be activated/engaged once your browser is seen to be accessing a secure site. (i.e. banking, financials, ebay, paypal, etc.

Just sayin' ... Happy surfing.

[to add]
MS IE8 Still has Many issues and exploits yet to be resolved or addressed ... typical, for them.

What you are saying is much as I thought in my last post. Trouble is, it's the setup, namely the banner/flash adverts and it's not enough to say that one browser over another is the causation. On the other hand, I don't think that most members here would mind paying a buck for membership, or is that not enough?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

I never referenced any given browser, other than to mention that IE8 is Currently riddled with issues (eh? it's an MS product, they'll issue sufficient updates to patch such, once they get around to it somewhere down the road:@@

... 's long as folks run a Windows OS they're vulnerable and subject to the same, it matters not the "browser" they employ.

"Paid" memberships have been brought up too many times to count ... with the answer always being the same ... Never.

As much as ATS is a Venue and Not a platform ... "paid" memberships would Only serve to eventually compromise the same, leaving those with a "vested interest" feeling a sense of misguided or "purchased" empowerment over others. 's simply Not going to happen.

The sole requirement to participate on the boards is a valid email address ... nothing more, nothing less.

... aside from adherence to the rather minimal constraints set forth via the Terms & Conditions.

pretty basic, in the end.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Heres a simple solution...get a mac!

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Why would Microsoft get reports that this site was unsafe? Who told them that?

Windows Team Blog - Getting a reputation: How SmartScreen looks at URLs

we don't assign a bad reputation based on just a single piece of feedback; any given piece of feedback may be from an abuser, from a competitor, or it may be incorrect. Instead, we use a series of algorithms that combine all the data we have to produce the most accurate and comprehensive reputation database possible. Every input feed is different, and each is handled differently, but in general, we take every URL in every feed and use machine learning to predict the probability that the URL is abusive. At a high level, this involves examining each URL for suspicious substrings (for example, the word "pharmacy" in the URL), looking up the history of the URL–its associated domain, IPs, DNS servers, routers, subnets, ASNs–and combining these into tens of thousands of potentially predictive features for the URL. We then apply models based in machine learning, which pore over these features and separate the abusive URLs from the honest ones.

Most of the time, we are confident enough in the findings of our machine learning engine that we can flag a URL as abusive based on this recommendation alone. Sometimes a URL is suspicious but we're not certain; we send many of these suspicious URLs to our analysts for final classification.

False positives
It's worth noting that any nondeterministic filtering system can make mistakes. And, although they are rare, we take mistakes in SmartScreen very seriously, measuring them, managing them, and responding to them as quickly as possible. For more details on what to do if you think SmartScreen is making a mistake, try these resources:

SmartScreen Filter Frequently Asked Questions

SmartScreen Filter: Information for administrators and website owners

SmartScreen Filter: frequently asked questions

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join