It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alleged NASA -Affiliated Astronomer Deciphers 'Intelligence' Signal From Nearby Stars

page: 33
<< 30  31  32    34  35  36 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Flux8

If we dont send money though how are we gonna get the ransom money????

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hydroman

Originally posted by McGinty

Why would beings on other planets use the same names we use for constellations and planets.....or speak english for that matter? Or am I looking at this wrong?

Matter of fact, they wouldn't have the same constellations we do because from their point of view the stars would be in different formations than what we see.

A name like "Taurus" mean "Bull" if I'm not mistaken. Do they have bulls where they're from?

Could someone answer these questions please?

Could we be looking at our colonizing selves in the distant future or past.

Relativity theory isn't exactly a done deal yet, so who knows!

Thanks for your response. That's pretty interesting.

Thanks. In the event that we really were finding alien signals that weren't directed at us, yet were in English, then you're left with little option but to investigate the possible explanations, however improbable.

1) The aliens are in fact us. Next question is how?

1a) These transmissions are permeating the division between Parallel universes - they are a parallel version of us - more advanced by the looks of it.

1b) Time displacement. They are us - perhaps from a distant past, probably from a distant future, having colonized these parts of space. The effects of super-gravity, worm-holes, quantum mechanics and dark matter etc. could conspire in all kinds of un-imagined ways to send these frequencies back in time.

2)They are indeed in our timeframe, being the ancestors of humans, or having had prior contact with us and left their mark in the common phrases we share.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by bgood1968
Certainly looking like someone went through a lot of trouble to either intentionally discredit someone or make people look foolish.

Also, not an expert, or even claim to be knowledgable at all, but isn't spectrophotometry the measurement of light passing through a substance to find the transmittance and absorbance of wavelengths of said substance? More used in a chemistry lab rather than an observatory?

Spectrophotometry is used in astronomy to 'split' the light from a star in order to determine the composition of the star by looking to see which lines in the spectrum are absorption lines and which are emission lines. By knowing which elements emit certain frequencies and which absorb them, we can determine what elements are present in a particular star, and their relative abundance in that star.

From there, we can determine approximate ages, based on which elements were available at the time the star was formed for inclusion in it's makeup. It's really a little more involved than that, but what I've said is a basic overview.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnze

Dude, if you were that aggressive to me on FB i would not have been so polite.

Wayne can't allow himself to be tainted at this point in his career, there is NO up side for him. Even book sales will drop if he is associated with a hoax.

Ask Geller, or von Daniken.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

The Harvard article you linked to describes the SALT RSS-NIR almost to a t. The only problem is just that....it is Near IR.

The article states:
"For space based ETI's, the only spectrum blockages encountered are at very low radio frequencies, where the interstellar plasma imposes a cutoff, and the blockage from UV / EUV (3 to 30phz) extinction due to atomic absorption and scattering by interstellar dust. There are then two broad windows: the combined radio/IR/Optical band, and the combined x-ray/gamma ray band."

It basically rules out UV bands. Great research but it doesn't quantify the original claim from the FB post.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by harryhaller

Dont really see how i came across as aggresive. I seem to be aplogising profusely if i had somehow offended him. I could have askd him why he has not phoned the police yet. If i knew someone, or was in contact with someone and i found out they had been kidnappd i would immediatly contact the police. Maybe i should phone them now and tell them what has happend???

Can you see how this story starts to implode in on itself as being rather silly. And im not realy sure its the problem of a hoax he has to worry about thats gonna hamper any of his book sales.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Thanks for the info. I was looking up what someone had said and came across that. I since found more info on it. All new to me. This is a great learning post though! I appreciate it!

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Ok, lets look at the secret nasa transmisions, the tether incident. Now, people still believe that these objects are ET. But even before i looked at the scientific evidence that backed up nasa's claim. Logic told me that these objects were close to the camera.
reply to post by Jay-morris

Some of the objects clearly traveled behind the tether, being partially obscured by it, meaning they were not close to the camera.

There goes your logic, along with your post.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Problem solved. An Alien of lesser scrutiny it would appear.

In case imbed doesnt work

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 4-5-2010 by William Marshal]

[edit on 4-5-2010 by William Marshal]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Great topic OP, thanks for the post!
Regardless of the outcome, it has been a very interesting read and much has been learned. There are names and instances people will now be more prepared for should something like this pop up again.

To the people here who have put in the time and effort for either pro or con suggestions... You're an awesome part of ATS, thank you!

To the people here who have a need to step all over those who take the time to contribute... Your attacks are a waste of space on ATS, shame on you!

For anyone interested, Coast to Coast will be having a related subject tonight...
www.coasttocoastam.com...

"Acclaimed physicist and cosmologist Paul Davies will discuss why he believes that SETI's search for narrow-band radio signals from planets around other stars needs to be broadened to look for other possible signs of ET life."

(edit for spelling)

[edit on 4-5-2010 by misfitoy]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Point of No Return

Ok, lets look at the secret nasa transmisions, the tether incident. Now, people still believe that these objects are ET. But even before i looked at the scientific evidence that backed up nasa's claim. Logic told me that these objects were close to the camera.
reply to post by Jay-morris

Some of the objects clearly traveled behind the tether, being partially obscured by it, meaning they were not close to the camera.

There goes your logic, along with your post.

So whats your logic on this video then?

Click Here

The sad thing is, even viewing this, i know your mind wont budge

[edit on 4-5-2010 by Jay-morris]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Has anyone attempted to make contact with any of these observatories and just asking them? or do you think they are under a gag order of some sort?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
First off, about half of the replies on here seem to be ASSUMPTIONS. Isn't this site supposed to be about refraining from assumptions. It's supposed to be about questioning and getting questions legitimately answered. People are either assuming it is totally ridiculous to think an advanced intelligence is sending signals or they are assuming this is the disclosure everyone has been waiting for and it could not possibly be a hoax. There is no EVIDENCE to prove either way right now, so can't we all just stick to ASKING questions and getting LEGIT ANSWERS?!

Here are my two QUESTIONS.

1. Where, in this very vague story, does she say that it was the radio telescopes that were picking up the UV signal?

Maybe I missed it, but she wrote (allegedly) that countries around the globe were pointing their radio telescopes to these stars because of the word getting out about the strange signals. I don't recall reading that she was picking up UV signals from radio telescopes.

2. What exactly are harmonic and sub harmonics in radio frequencies? I am a musician, so I understand harmonics a little bit. If a signal in RF produces harmonics, do the harmonics stay in RF?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flux8
reply to post by undo

Hehehe, thank you. Art is the lie that helps us see the truth. Unfortunately, the art in this case may very well be a scam/con. But think of the discussions spawned from it, and all of the things people are learning!

Really, though, don't send any money...

Lol. Do you mean this was actually an ATS sham?
I personally dont think ATs will stoop so low to actually conjure up all this like a witch or something.
I'm sure some or the other telescope will pick this up other than nasa or seti.

Cheers

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Reflection

The answer to your question #1 is in the original post.

NASA ASTRONOMER DECIPHERS 'INTELLIGENCE' SIGNAL FROM NEARBY STARS... Radio telescopes all over the world are apparently all locking onto mysterious signals RIGHT NOW in an unusual part of the radio spectrum and have found a signal code! The astrophysicist involved is a personal friend and I am standing by for more news...

Then this...

"Heck this is as abnormal Naturally and Naturally Intelligent as it comes. Better than the "Wow" signal and then to top it all in the deep Ultraviolet Frequency. No wonder no one found anything before, they were looking in the wrong Frequency range. We opened up a bag of Bees! Let´s try not to get stung!"...

[edit on 4-5-2010 by butcherguy]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Reflection

In the first post. She states that "radio observatories are locking onto this signal all over the globe" because it's "In an unusual frequency range..the deep UV band!"

At that point it's a giveaway, but later she goes on to categorize the signal, and does so with a lot of hogwash. Not the least of which are "it's phasing in and out of harmonics and sub-harmonics!" which doesn't make any sense, but I'm pretty sure Jodie says something like that in Contact. Also her modulation comments are pretty odd.

Then later (somewhere around page 26 on the thread) she starts trying to desperately save the RT statement by the bogus and amusing claim that UV emits radio signals, and that's how she was able to pick it up on a radio telescope. Which is even worse than the original claim, but not by much.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Cosmic Pixie, in all seriousness, your FB friend may be getting sucked into a scam... a variation of the 'Romance scam' except that it preys on the vulnerabilities of the person's belief system instead. Perhaps you should give him a heads up, in case she asks him (and other's on her list) for money orders/cashier's checks/wire transfers/cash to help her 'hide out, get out of the country, pay for passports', etc... Anything that 'TPTB that are after her can't track to her hideout' I'm sure.

MSNBC article:
www.msnbc.msn.com...

... There are plenty of variations on the traditional scam. Nigerians apparently keep up with the news. In 2001, instead of a Nigerian barrister, the missing money belonged to an Iraqi national, persecuted under Saddam Hussein. The year before, it was family of victims of the Concorde plane crash. Earlier this year, it was a tsunami victim; then, a U.S. solider killed in Iraq during the war on terror. Anything to get an edge, or to catch victims with their guard down.

... The key to the continuing Nigerian success, Miskall says, is the ingenuity and adaptability of the scam artists. Many Americans have come to realize that wiring money overseas is a bad idea. So several years ago, Nigerians started recruiting U.S. residents as go-betweens, so they’d be able to ask victims to send money or packages to U.S. addresses.

Either he would be a part of it, or one of many 'marks'. Even if he doesn't take the bait, it's unfortunate for him. His imprudence in posting too soon without verification may have been the noose around his credibility. Sad really.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by bgood1968
reply to post by nenothtu

Thanks for the info. I was looking up what someone had said and came across that. I since found more info on it. All new to me. This is a great learning post though! I appreciate it!

No problem. It figures into the SETI search in a peripheral sort of way, following the assumption that 'life' takes a certain amount of time to develop, and 'intelligence' a certain longer period of time, so that assumptions are made as to the suitablilty of any particular star to harbor life based on the age of that star, and it's makeup. Too young - indicates a lack of life, or a lack of time for intelligence to develop, where older stars lack crucial elements for the development of life. More simply, those elements were yet to form when the star was born, and so were not included in it, or it's potential planets.

Another problem for me in the original story as presented is the alleged use of UV for communication. In order for light to be used properly, it seems that it needs to be concentrated - I.E. fiber optics or laser, and directed at the receiver. Unless it was directed at earth, there would be a vanishingly slim chance to detect it.

Light, as all forms of E-M radiation do, decreases intensity as the inverse of the square as it expands outward. In other words, if the distance is doubled, the signal strength falls to 1/4 of the previous measurement. Triple the distance, it falls to 1/9th, etc. This happens because the same amount of energy is spread over the entire surface of an ever-increasing sphere, so there's less energy per square inch, or square whatever-you-want-to measure-in. For that reason, one would think an omnidirectional 'beacon' would be a poor choice of communication strategy over interstellar distances. Directed beams would seem to be a more economical choice, rather than expending most of the energy used to produce the signal into nothingness.

The catch 22 is that if the signal is NOT omnidirectional, it would be highly unlikely that we detected it unless it was aimed at us.

Radio waves are more economical to produce, and 'carry' better in that they are easier to detect. That makes them more suited to communication use within certain constraints, omnidirectionally.

Which is not to say that an alien civilization, somehow resistant to UV, couldn't have developed the means to project UV communications omnidirectionally. It just means humans aren't technologically geared to join that 'net.

That, and the fact that as a human, subject to UV damage, I'd truly hate to get swept by a UV beam. Radio goes right through us, all the time.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   

-Wayne Herschel- -Wayne Herschel- ✯ ✯ ✯Pledge of support for 'missing' NASA astrophysicist✯ ✯ ✯ ... One who dared to release something that sounded important, at great risk and obviously came at very great cost to her. She blew the whistle on something important currently being investigated suggesting an ET signal. Please... all those who have any conc...ern for her in the least please show some support and add you name here... See More 40 minutes ago

-Wayne Herschel- Latest update - Dr JUDY FULTSKOG: ... just received an email... Judy writes: ... Hi Wayne... I am OK and taken care of. Dont worry about what people say. Every part of the EM spectrum gives off radio emmisions. Dont try and defend yourself or me, as the truth has a way of proving itself. Hang in there Wayne and dont... give up. Judy ... it was followed by another email (below) and I will discuss it... See More 11 hours ago

-Wayne Herschel- ASTRONOMER Dr JUDY FULTSKOG - MISSING? ...After a very anxious evening following Judy's claims from NASA releasing what seemed important radio/spectral data suggesting intelligent ET signals... nobody knows her recent status. ...At the very least she might be the victim of an ugly joke by her piers... if anyone knows her whereabouts please contact her friends. 13 hours ago

-Wayne Herschel- Judy is a missing person right now... 13 hours ago

Missing people write emails... apparently...

For a writer, He sure seems to have an issue following his own timeline.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by broadway_baby1983]

[edit on 4-5-2010 by broadway_baby1983]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Ok first, this is a load of #e. looking at the Facebook page that works, it's some newage nut trying to get noticed IMHO.

Second, her "wiccan" beleifs may or may not have anything to do with this. I'm a Neopagan and a Scientist and I am not seeing aliens

Ok last.

I work in the Chemical Industy, hold a PhD in Sythetic Organic Chemistry, and you will not find my name on papers. Similarly I don't have my name on any patents (due to company policy, they don't let anyone below Manger level get that). I've attended two conferences (1995 and 1999)...

Not every "scientist" Publishes.

That being said. No scientist would make the mistakes made here. A crappy author would however.

Originally posted by LifeInDeath
It bothers me that she's claiming to be a scientist and yet when I google her name I don't get a single paper she's authored/co-authored come up.

I have scientist friends and if I google their names, I always get multiple hits for various papers on their university sites, arXiv or conferences they've attended or spoken at - all sorts of things they've been involved with in their field. With this woman all I get is stuff about abductions and her unfortunate legal trouble being arrested for kissing a girl.

As for Milky Way @ Home, I'm a member of that as well and I'm not a scientist. It's a distributed computing project to map the Milky Way galaxy using unused computer resources of volunteer users. It's just like SETI@Home, which I also run sometimes on my laptop. Good for her, there, she's helping science by letting her computer crunch numbers, but it's not a big deal.

[edit on 5/3/2010 by LifeInDeath]

new topics

top topics

<< 30  31  32    34  35  36 >>

join