It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientist Uses Nanodots To Create 4Tb Storage Chip

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

"Solid state disks could soon catch up with mechanical hard drives in terms of cost and capacity, thanks to a new data-packed chip developed by a scientist at the University of North Carolina. Using a uniform array of 10nm nanodots, each of which represents a single bit, Dr Jay Narayan created a data-density of 1 terabit per square centimetre. The end result was a 4cm2 chip that holds 4Tb of data (512GB), but the university says that the nanodots could have a diameter of just 6nm, enabling an even greater data-density. The university explains that the nanodots are 'made of single, defect-free crystals, creating magnetic sensors that are integrated directly into a silicon electronic chip.' Dr Narayan says he expects the technology overtaking traditional solid state disk technology within the next five years."

Source

This would be awesome. I want one!
The technology is amazing these days.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Incredible.

This reminds be a bit of the data crystals they used in the Babylon 5 universe.

I've been waiting a long time for more progress on these solid state drives.

I consider conventional hard drives to be a huge bottleneck in system performance. My 2tb SATA2 can only hit about 64mb/s transfer rate which is well below it's theoretical limits.

And I'm fairly certain it has to cheat and use it's 64mb cache memory to even achieve those speeds.

I've disliked the drives for some time now because I consider them to be legacy. Ultimately I'd love to be able to use solid state drives only and give these ones with moving parts the flick.

My current system doesn't have a 1.44 inch floppy drive for that exact reason. The technology was legacy and should have been in a museum somewhere not in my computer.

[edit on 3-5-2010 by belial259]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
nice ... thats what we need

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Thanx for notifying me. Sometimes headlines vary just enough to make a search for an existing thread a nightmare. lol

"working on closing this down"

top topics

join