It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Common flower could revolutionise treatment of leukemia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
www.telegraph.co.uk...

An extract from the white flower commonly known as Baby's Breath can boost the efficiency of anti-cancer drugs by a million times, according to experts. This makes it much easier for antibody-based drugs, known as immunotoxins, to attack the cancerous cells.

As a result, immunotherapy used to treat certain types of leukaemia and lymphoma is increased in potency by 'over one million-fold'...

Dr David Flavell said: "I am usually careful about the words I use with things like this but this discovery could truly revolutionise the way these antibody-based drugs work and it will save lives.

Looks like another natural cure has been found for a fairly common disease, and the effects of the plant can probably be expanded to other forms of cancer. This is natural of course, and we all know only a drug can cure or treat a disease. Unless of course the FDA declares this plant to be a drug.

I'm going to guess that we never hear about this again since it's one of those feel-good stories that won't help people make any more money than they can already. Just throw this discovery in the same pile with all the other discoveries of natural cures and treatments that aren't utilized by the drug companies.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Baby's Breath is on the list of edible flowers. I wonder if like-some-wild grasses, it contains B17 (Nitrilosides)?
B17 has been linked to/theorized as having anti-cancer properties. When man's diet consisted of range-fed animals, there was supposedly a lot less cancer. The range animals were eating the wild grasses and plants that were rich in B17.
Also, certain parts of the world where the local diet consists of foods rich in B17 have very low reported cases of cancer.
Seeds or pits of many fruits (apple, apricot, peach, orange, nectarine...) contain B17 and were often consumed and not discarded as the modern practice is.

I hope there's some truth to the Baby's Breath theory. My wife has gone thru a double-mastectomy, chemo, anti-cancer drug regiments... Just recently, they found a lesion in her brain tho it does not seem to be malignant nor is it showing any sign of growth.
Even before cancer, she was careful about what she ate and never drank, smoke, did drugs. Now she's even more careful, and is into anything she reads as "good for fighting cancer". She'd eat some baby's breath salad for sure if there was a chance it would help her live longer.

We can't buy B17 in the US. We can order apricot seeds at a high-price, but can't buy the supplement. It's illegal I believe. B17 contains a form of cyanide and is thus the reason for the ban? Ironically, the theory is that the cyanide attacks cancer cells.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Its interesting that they use the phrase

An extract from the white flower commonly known as Baby's Breath can boost the efficiency of anti-cancer drugs by a million times, according to experts. This makes it much easier for antibody-based drugs, known as immunotoxins, to attack the cancerous cells

If it makes antibody based drugs easier to target cancerous cells... then just eating the damn flower (seeing as its edible) yourself would help most likely your own damn anti-body system to do the job easier itself wouldnt it. Sure thats simplistic but fairly logical.

Its funny when they link the flowers extract properties to helping the drugs, and ignore or neglect to mention what it might do simply on the normal human immune system.

"You cant get better without drugs!"... makes a nice slogan really. Would be interesting to learn just what the extract was.

[edit on 3-5-2010 by BigfootNZ]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by BigfootNZ

I also found that quote interesting as it suggests that it can only be useful with drugs. Even though its being reported upon, it still pushes that slogan you just coined.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by primus2012

Interesting theories.. I had recently read about seeds and pits containing very high amounts of certain vitamins and proteins, yet we not only discard them but also the fruit close to the pit. Since then my new craze on fresh fruit (even planted numerous apple, plum, berries etc in my back yard this spring) I just throw the fruits whole into my blender and mash it all up for a nice smoothie.. I get the entire fruit, seeds and pits included. Though you do have to make sure you really blend it well, I had a few cases where a chunk went down unexpectedly .. not fun.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

www.abovetopsecret.com...

All falls under the same topic. Say what you want about Kevin Trudeau as a person or a salesman, the guy is definetly not lying about the fact that there ARE natural cures where drugs are not necessary.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I'm suprised ATS has not jumped on this. I thought this was definetely ATS-worthy news.

Especially the fact that the article still pushes using drugs, even though the natural source shows that it can help treat leukemia. Of course the natural source only helps as part of a drug
. This is exactly the kind of stuff ATS likes to rant about.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Portugoal

Beware of Pharma companies bearing flowers.

The active substance in Baby's Breath are Saponin's...
...which are also used as adjuvants in the production of vaccines.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by primus2012

We can't buy B17 in the US. We can order apricot seeds at a high-price, but can't buy the supplement. It's illegal I believe. B17 contains a form of cyanide and is thus the reason for the ban? Ironically, the theory is that the cyanide attacks cancer cells.

There are almost the same levels of Nitrilosides in Flax Seed (Linseed) as there are in Apricots Kernels.

Put a couple of desert spoons of Flax Seed through a coffee grinder...
...and eat with a Sulphur based food like Yogurt or Cottage Cheese.

new topics

top topics

join