It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking for students of "The Secret Doctrine"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Hello friends, it's been a while since I've been on these boards. A lot has changed for me in this time, including leaving my job in the MSM. Feels good to be a free agent! I've delved into the study of several great works from Sun Tzu's "The Art of War" to Helena Blavatsky's "The Secret Doctrine." I was wondering if anyone here has read the latter. It's the most complex work I've ever been exposed to and would love to find somebody who is familiar with the tome.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by EastCoastKid

Just parts of it.

Here is one of my favorite sites that has ALL kinds of good stuff:

Sacred Texts Archive

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
i am definitely Not a student of 'the secret doctrine'

am i wrong in thinking that the Blatvatski tome, eventually led to the Thule Society, and the Nazi insiders Dark/sinister occult fixations...
and the insider/elites belief in the force known as the "Vril" upon which a cadre of special people had understanding of this force
(not at all like chakras)

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by emsed1

Thanks for the link.

What do you think of what you read?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I'm a student member of the Morya Federation, which is a website that teaches from Blavatsky's material and related work.

I agree it is a very complicated undertaking and I'm left wondering if the people who write the course material and answer questions even fully understand the body of knowledge they work with.

There are various philosophical aspects that tie into various other traditions. They say we emanate "rays" of different energies, I think they consider 7 types of energy. And they have the trinity and this and that. Is there anything specifically you were wondering about?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

Just looking for general thoughts on the work. I've been reading it for months, very slowly to absorb as much as possible. I'm only on pg. 264 right now. It's the most complex work I've ever studied.

I'm a Christian, but I totally believe in Evolution. This book discusses at great length the entire evolutionary chain, which I find fascinating. One thing that really leapt out at me is how it states that man did NOT evolve from apes. That's the one part of the theory of Evolution that I do not agree with.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   

I have mixed feelings about it so far, and it sounds like I'm in the same boat as you are.

It's complicated, yes. I can see "complicated" as being either for better or worse. For example, it could be just such a detailed, accurate description of fundamental causes and forces in reality, that it requires the detail necessary to cover enough information to paint this mental map of a philosophy, so to speak.

On the other hand, I can see it as being complicated in a convoluted way, and not really offering anything of practical philosophical/spiritual value. And to date, I can't think of much that has been of practical value to me from this system, but I haven't delved entirely into it either so I can't make this my final verdict yet. I can't say I haven't learned anything from it, because I have, but I have learned a lot more from the Tao te Ching and from esoteric Hinduism, for example, and those things both go right to the heart of the existential issues immediately and are enlightening right away.

[edit on 3-5-2010 by bsbray11]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I purchased the Secret Doctrine a few years ago, and have read the first volume, and parts of the other volumes. It's a very, very confusing piece of work, and very difficult to follow her train of thought.

I almost feel like she doesn't really do a good job of interpreting her source material. I almost feel like I would be better off reading some of the source material that she quotes.

She is a rabid anti-Catholic, and anti-semite. Some of her rants about Jewish materialism and anti-Catholicism are just outright scary.

She also seems to talk in circles, and doesn't do a good job of staying on topic. She tends to ramble a bit. It's also frustrating when she repeatedly makes statements about how she can only tell a small portion of what she really knows, and that "the reader" isn't going to be ready for the entire story.

It is fascinating reading, however. It's a bit over my head, though. I think reading it slowly is probably the best route. That, and keep a computer or dictionary handy. She tosses out a lot of words that I have no idea what they mean - especially words from Hinduism, Buddhism, etc.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I appreciate your comments, BsBray. Yes, I think we are in the same boat here. Only time will tell what it teaches me. I continue to study it with an open mind. The synchronicity of it with my other readings often gives me chills. The other night TSD mentioned Ezekiel (from the Old Testamant) as being one of the most important/accurate voices in the Bible; the funny thing is, I've been reading through the Old Testament and guess what book I was finishing up at that very moment?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   

I was very into madam until I started reading Isis unveiled, but I would love to get into a discussion,

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   

I'm not sure. Some of her stuff makes a lot of sense but there is just SO much other stuff that I can't even understand.

I've been reading some Max Heindel also lately and I like a lot of what he has to say.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by CookieMonster09

Was thinking the other day I should've kept a list of definitions (crib sheet) from the very beginning! It's a little late now to go back and write them down.

The thing that I find most fascinating in it is the discussion of the angelic beings and how they are the creative forces and work on our behalf.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Welcome aboard, Stormdancer! I haven't read "Isis Unveiled." It's constantly referred to in TSD. Was it difficult to grasp?

top topics

join