It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did North Korea Torpedo Oil Rig In US Gulf?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Did North Korea Torpedo Oil Rig In US Gulf?

www.therightperspective.org

While some say environmental extremists, who have committed acts of terror in the past are responsible, the dominant theory that has emerged is that a North Korean sub torpedoed the rig. The Deepwater Horizon oil platform was owned by Transocean, the largest offshore drilling contractor in the world. It was also built and financed by South Korea’s Hyundai Heavy Industries Co. Ltd., which leads many to think about a North Korean attack.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Here's an interesting take on the oil rig explosion that easily has the potential to turn into the worst disaster we get to witness in our lifetimes. While I find it hard to believe NK had the potential or apples to pull this one, I'm not one to sweep a theory under the rug. Moreover it is extremely interesting move by Obama sending out Swat teams to inspect rigs... honestly I haven't done to much diggin on this story and I am just posting a random piece I found, but that what I love ATS for. Let me hear your ideas!

A curious point leading people to think sabotage was at fault is the fact that US President Barack Obama has ordered SWAT teams to inspect all platforms and rigs

PS: I hope I'm not doubling up on a story, if I have I apologize.

www.therightperspective.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

EDIT: Dud Thread, nothing to see here
---> www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 3-5-2010 by Vicious Jones]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I highly doubt that a submarine from N. Korea would be in the Gulf of Mexico undetected. This just makes me laugh.

This is propaganda at it's finest. This is America basically saying "we f#$%*! up," and we don't know what to do about it, so let's blame it on an easy target that will convince the American sheep.

[edit on 3-5-2010 by edgecrusher2199]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Aside from the fact that the SOSUS warning nets in the Atlantic would make the approach extremely difficult without detection, their sub fleet doesn't have the range; they're using old Soviet Whiskey class attack subs and Chinese Romeos - diesel boats. Even topped off with extra fuel in drums, they'd wouldn't have enough to power their engines or keep their batteries at anything close to full charge; they couldn't come within 3,000 miles of our east coast, to say nothing of the Gulf with the current state of their technology.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Legion2112
they couldn't come within 3,000 miles of our east coast, to say nothing of the Gulf with the current state of their technology.

well actually the theory also includes a north-korean vessel wich is supposedly very suspicious wich had deviated from its course as far towards US coast it had come in to about 150miles distance of the rig... the mini-sub would have been kamikaze blowing itself up after firing a missile... I've seen a supporting picture in wich the helipad showed some very weird damage possibly by a weapon. also a high ranking politician in NK is suposedly quoted to saying "they had a fullfilling revenge" or some BS like that

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Let's look at this from another perspective.
Imagine we are a think tank for the North Korean navy. We were given an order by 'little Kim' to let the US know that we can take a sub (with a nuke) to their shore. How would you go about it?

If it were me, I would not send the sub on it's own. As Legion2112 said a diesel sub would not make it to the gulf of mexico without detection.
I would let a sub tail a 'commercial' ship on a route between asia and the US. During nighttime the fake civilian ship could replenish the sub. And the noise the larger surface vessel makes would be enough to safely pass SOSUS or any other sonar net. Only another sub would have a slight chance of finding the diesel-sub.
And a torpedo destroying an oilrig would sent a pretty clear message.

I fear it would be a one way ticket though. The US navy would hunt the sub down like Oprah after a twinky.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Dorfl

Okay, now that legitimately sounds plausible... get a sub small enough that can ride between the screws of a large enough cargo vessel and no sonar net in the world would be able to detect it through the cavitation. It'd take one helluva sub driver, but it could be done. Which I suppose also answers the question of logistics since it would have to have assistance.

I guess the next obvious question would be, were there any reports out of the Gulf in the days preceding the disaster that suggested either an erroneously off-course cargo vessel or maybe even a tanker nearing the rig?

Oh! And to the poster above who remarked about how NK officials were purported to be sneering about "revenge," do you have a link?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Legion2112

no the logistics was supposed to be different... the cargo vessel under suspicion would have actually been transporting the mini-sub instead of guiding it. about the link to that politicians remark: english.chosun.com...

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   
If that is true, NK has some huge apples.

First SK pulls their sunk ship off of the ocean floor and find proof of an external explosion.

Then travel around the world to take out an oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico.

I have doubts, to try and pull that off when a suspecting eye is already on them is just, just, suicide.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by cavscout11cav

suicide? Not really, for 1 this was a covert op even kept covert by american MSM. 2nd under international rules of war NK actually conducted justifyable warring methods... they didn't attack america instead they attacked a SK-build oilrig... it al fits within warring-regulations.... damn that just sounds wron doesn't it? warring-regulations brrrrrrr

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   

they didn't attack america instead they attacked a SK-build oilrig

Actually they didn't attack either. The rig was built in SK but owned by Transocean which is inncorporated in Switzerland. Throw in the US workers and that it was leased by BP and you have a mess.

So actually they attacked BP or a Swiss Company. Poor Swiss, they were neutral for soo long.

If you think that is allowed, that would be like saying NK could sink one of our cruise ships/ cargo ships, as long as it was built in the SK

[edit on 4-5-2010 by cavscout11cav]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Where can i get my " STOP THE OIL RIG MADNESS" sign?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   

I'm not able to clearly define what the laws of war actually mean and how it can be implied to this situation but supposedly the current laws of war actually aprove of an action like the on I hypothesised. you should be able to find it in this article but Im to lazy to fish it out of the vast amount of text offered so here goes a link for your viewing pleasure: en.wikipedia.org...
there are actually quite a number of different parties in this situation but the main thing is where it is built. I reason in the end there is/was a South korean flag hovering on that rig? actually I have no clue

edit to change the fact that there's probably no flag left hovering as of now

[edit on 4-5-2010 by faceoff85]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by cavscout11cav
The rig was built in SK but owned by Transocean which is inncorporated in Switzerland.

But if the South Korean company financed it, they will be sitting there with their hand out on payday. Maybe if they don't get their cash back if might somehow stuff things up for South Korea?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Regardless, I'm not sure when it happened but this was moved to the Hoax bin so we are beating a dead horse

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   

then lets just drop the convo and watch developments unfold... time will tell what happened

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
The Sorcha Faal story about this is actually making the email rounds to the brain dead. I know this because somebody who is brain dead actually printed it out and gave it to me at work and was speaking gleefully about the fact that it made a lot of sense. Actually he was just happy that he has someone to blame and he doesn't have to think for himself.

I just kept quiet because I'd realized long ago that this person was beyond reach, even on the most basic level, and not worth the effort of even a breath of common sense. He'll come in tomorrow and parrot whatever he heard on the news the night before and the whole process will start all over again. Such is life.

Pearls before swine my friends.

Edit to add: North Korean Marko Ramius: "The order is: engage the silent drive!"

Peace

[edit on 5-5-2010 by Dr Love]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I said it before and I say it again:

Propaganda.

America, you're being told lies again.

Nothing more than an attempt to frame North Korea, take all the the blame, and start another war.

Wake up. Hasn't this been going on for long enough?

[edit on 5/5/2010 by Tryptych]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tryptych
Nothing more than an attempt to frame North Korea, take all the the blame, and start another war.

At the same time I think it could also be a gauge to see just how stupid the masses are currently and how much ridiculousness can be gotten away with in the future.

If this works then we'll get ten more American Idol-like shows to bring us to DEFCON Level Drool Cup.

Peace

[edit on 5-5-2010 by Dr Love]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

It's gotten to the point you have to look for a Sorcha connection before you can even begin to believe stories of this nature. Perhaps an Award is in order for most prolific hoaxer of all time. Sorcha and Meier could compete for the first one.

Actually I'd give the first to Sitchen and Hubbard but shhhhh, I did not say that.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join