It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super Sniper Kills Taliban 1.5 Miles Away

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas
It's amazing that the shot still had enough punch to penetrate after that distance.

Btw, what is a "Corporal of Horse"?

Can't say I'm entirely certain, but the British Army has varying ranks which all tie into the history of the regiment to which the soldier in question is attached i.e. a 'Private' in the Parachute Regiment would be a 'Bombardier' in the Royal Artillery, as he would be a 'Rifleman' Rifles.

Pure speculation, but Corporal of Horse probably means a corporal serving in either the Royal Horse Artillery or the Household Cavalry (if the former even still exists). If I'm not mistaken, the latter is comprised of armored infantry regiments.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Every time I go up to my range with my 303 rifle (no sights), I can always get 3 bullseyes at 1000 yards out of 3 shots (the cartridges polish up nicely afterwards by the way).

But what he did is amazing!

I would attempt it but wouldn't bet on a hit at that range lol.

CX

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by duality90

Originally posted by mishigas
It's amazing that the shot still had enough punch to penetrate after that distance.

Btw, what is a "Corporal of Horse"?

Can't say I'm entirely certain, but the British Army has varying ranks which all tie into the history of the regiment to which the soldier in question is attached i.e. a 'Private' in the Parachute Regiment would be a 'Bombardier' in the Royal Artillery, as he would be a 'Rifleman' Rifles.

Pure speculation, but Corporal of Horse probably means a corporal serving in either the Royal Horse Artillery or the Household Cavalry (if the former even still exists). If I'm not mistaken, the latter is comprised of armored infantry regiments.

Correct. That is a rank used in the Household Cavalry (think guards regiments for those not familiar with British regiments.)

That looks like a Life Guards tactical recognition flash on his arm.

CX.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by ventian
reply to post by xxcalbier

Two human terrorists died, I will not mourn.

And they are terrorists because they were firing on FOREIGN soldiers who came to THEIR land and occupied it?

How about this: If there were Afghani soldiers coming to Britain and killing your people, you would greet them with flowers right?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by earthdude

Isn't it sad how someone can take an extraordinary talent and turn it into an America bashing session? I get it earthdud you don't like American policies.

Why don't you just look at the thread and give the guy the credit he deserves?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by palg1

Credit he deserves? So that's Manslaughter x 2? 2 Life sentences in Max security? I'd happily give him that.

I read this on some newspaper yesterday, don't remember which one and the comments were all 'wahey, great shooting' - just like in the WikiLeaks video where the 2 Reuters journalists were shot.

'They were manning a machine gun - I'd say they're fair game' - well ALL coalition forces are in THEIR country with weapons - does that make all of them fair game?

If this story was about a Terrorist (sorry, Freedom Fighter as you used to call them) shooting a British soldier would you all be so quick to brown nose the sniper? Or would it be a tragedy that the life was lost?

We should not be there in the first place - anyone who signs up knows what they're getting into and should never be commended on killing anyone in an illegal occupation. Shame on you if you think this MURDERER is really a HERO?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by skajkingdom

Originally posted by ventian
reply to post by xxcalbier

Two human terrorists died, I will not mourn.

And they are terrorists because they were firing on FOREIGN soldiers who came to THEIR land and occupied it?

How about this: If there were Afghani soldiers coming to Britain and killing your people, you would greet them with flowers right?

Except a large percentage of Taliban fighters are NOT from Afghanistan. They themselves are foreigners NOT Afghanies.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Pr0t0

In any military operation there are good guys and bad guys. The good guys are either the civilians or the ones fighting next to you and covering your back. Everyone else is the bad guy. Read my last reply in this post it might educate you on who we (us the good guys) are fighting. Then research what the world was like for the women and children of Afghanistan prior to the invasion by us (good guys).

The Taliban is not in this fight to hold on to any religious high-ground. They are there for the power it gives them, nothing else. Why else would you enslave women and young girls, and restrict education to the vast majority of your people?

So get off of your high-horse and try thinking of why our soldiers need to take out enemy machine gunners with very accurate sniper fire. The soldier believes in the fight in order to free the people from Taliban oppression.

To answer your question: If an enemy sniper had confirmed a kill at that range, I would have hated him for killing my brother in arms, but, I would have respected his talent!

[edit on 4-5-2010 by palg1]

[edit on 4-5-2010 by palg1]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by palg1
reply to post by Pr0t0

In any military operation there are good guys and bad guys. The good guys are either the civilians or the ones fighting next to you and covering your back. Everyone else is the bad guy. Read my last reply in this post it might educate you on who we (us the good guys) are fighting. Then research what the world was like for the women and children of Afghanistan prior to the invasion by us (good guys).

Are you living in a Spaghetti Western? There are no longer 'good guys' and 'bad guys'. I don't consider anyone waging war anywhere to be 'good guys'. The Islamic states actions toward their women and children has NOTHING to do with why we are meant to be in Afghanistan. Osama Bin Laden - remember that guy, that's why you might think we're there? Do you agree with the OS of 9/11 - if not how else do you justify this occupation?

Opium production and distribution across the Middle East and throughout Europe, setting up strategic military bases in striking distance of other 'threats', and oil and rare earth minerals. All of those are the true reasons we are there.

Why would you assume I'm not already educated on these matters? Because I don't draw lines between 'good guys' and 'bad guys'? I would wager I am more informed than yourself based on your comments.

The Taliban is not in this fight to hold on to any religious high-ground. They are there for the power it gives them, nothing else. Why else would you enslave women and young girls, and restrict education to the vast majority of your people?

That's exactly a religious high ground. The way they treat women and children is how the Qur'an is interpreted in their particular faction of Islam. The behavior is not strictly limited to the Taliban, or Islam as a whole. There's 6000+ religions and many hold women as lesser import than men, and commit act's of mutilation (bodily sacrifice - yes even Jewish circumcision is a mutilation - why not attack Israel if that's what we're about these days?)

So get off of your high-horse and try thinking of why our soldiers need to take out enemy machine gunners with very accurate sniper fire. The soldier believes in the fight in order to free the people from Taliban oppression.

Who are you to tell me to accept your MSM spoon fed version of the Afghan war events? I think it's fair to say you need to re-educate yourself on why any troops are even there in the first place before replying.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by Pr0t0]

CX

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pr0t0
Shame on you if you think this MURDERER is really a HERO?

I'm not sure many are calling him a hero? Whether he is or isn't, most here are purely commenting on the fact that this soldier pulled off one of the most remarkable shots in history.

Thats the topic, not whether he should be there or not.....there are plenty of those threads on ATS if you want to add your comments there.

If you'd have served, you'd have done the same if someone was trying to kill your CO.

CX.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
That´s cool and everything. Conga rats to the brit soldier for his mad skillz. But what intrigues me is that if those kills happened inside a mall or school, they would blame video games!

But when it happens all the way there and they kill a taliban, they just call the guy a hero and super duper this and that. But no mention about video games!

He should at least dedicate those kills to John Romero.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
what is this? Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2?

I know it's war...but to celebrate the death of a human being?

War will be war...but war thirsty human beings will never be quite right in my book.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Regardless of the loss of life involved here, who probably deserved it under the circumstances, the tech and the skill and training involved in this is awe inspiring!

British soldier, using British tech... restores my faith in my country does that!

And to think, we're not allowed guns, so this guy's only chance to train was on the barracks range and in the field.

Good job son, here's ya medal, now jog on!

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

My shot went right over your head. My point was that America will spend millions of our dollars to take out suspected ressistance. We could have just arrested those guys and saved taxpayers money.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Arrested them while they were firing upon a convoy with a machine gun? Hmmmm, like to see that happen. I guess what ever spin people wanna put on it is their right, however, this had nothiing to do with America or its soldiers, and yet there was still a pathetic attempt to demonize them for another countries actions.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Pr0t0

How sad to live in your world. Without having a picture of who are the good guys and who are the bad guys how do you distinguish between right and wrong. You leave no room for hope for mankind.

As for why we are in Afg. Yes BinLadin was the initial cause but why we stayed is a whole lot more important.

As for religious freedom. The true Quran does NOT advocate the mistreatment and denigration of women. Learn to look beyond all the re-interpretation of sharia law that are self serving such as 'genital mutilation , honour killings, or the 5 punishments identified in the Hadd, etc"

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Earthdud,
How would you approach a machine gun nest in order to make that arrest? Please explain...

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
This is just like.. wow.

I know there is a lot of tech involved in this kind of feat, but if the rifle only has an effective range of 4,900ft, would the onboard computer allow him to compute a shot over that range?

Even so, I'm pretty sure the average soldier given that type of rifle couldn't pull that stuff off, nevermind the average joe like myself!

As for the whole 'mourn the life of a human', do you think if roles had been reversed he would've prayed for the soul of that british sniper? he'd be more likely to dance over his grave. THAT is subhuman, why does he deserve that type of respect of mourning?

It's these kind of stories that makes me proud of the sheer indomitable professionalism and skill of the British army. We may not be the biggest, but damn we have some of the finest soldiers on the planet!

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by palg1

I hope you're joking? Did you read a damn word I wrote? I said 'their interpretation... I didn't say that was right or wrong. And regardless of what you think, those Taliban fighters were doing their job - they weren't necessarily bad guys, just following orders, same as the duped coalition.

Shooting anything is not commendable. I don't treat violence any differently regardless of 'sides' or 'teams'. Some of you really do play too many games. Why have they named the sniper in the first place? That's just bad form. If we were told the names of the Taliban who planted the most destructive IED would you want to give the man a medal?

Hypocrites.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Longy4eva

And, judging from the ranks near me in Catterick - the rudest, most arrogant, clueless, aggressive, jumped up pricks to ever walk the face of the planet.

Screw the British army - if you don't come home of your own volition because you're not welcomed in the Middle East, then let it be in a box.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join