It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oil Spill TRIPLED In Size In 3 Days (VIDEO)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Oil Spill TRIPLED In Size In 3 Days (VIDEO)

www.huffingtonpost.com

BP is preparing a system never tried nearly a mile under water to siphon away the geyser of crude from a blown-out well a mile under Gulf of Mexico waters. However, the plan to lower 74-ton, concrete-and-metal boxes being built to capture the oil and siphon it to a barge waiting at the surface will need at least another six to eight days to get it in place.

Crews continued to lay boom in what increasingly feels like a futile effort to slow down the spill, with all ideas to contain the flow failing so far.

"I've been in Pensacola and I am very, very concerned about this filth in the Gul
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I think this is proof that the oil flow is getting worse and the current storms in the region is not helping the effort in starting the clean-up. Of course it is like Mopping with the tap still open and it will not do a lot of good, but people are already turning up to see if they can help.

With a fishing ban already in place and as much as 20 dead turtles washing up on the Mississippi coast, we are all hoping that the solution is found soon. A relief well could take months and with the flow increasing, this could well be a global disaster.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
They Stole My Idea!!!
hey, thats ok

I just want ONE million dollars.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Which idea is that? To post the article or to drill a relief well?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Lebowski achiever

Well...
On the thread ..
ATS: Do you have a Novel Solution to the Gulf Oil Spill?..

I posted that they could take a cone(a very bigone) with a hose(very bighose) attatched to the top of the cone. That in itself would stop the oil from spreading, creating a temporary relief, while at the same time
salvaging a lot of that oil.

The drilling part was not mine. =)

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lebowski achiever

With a fishing ban already in place and as much as 20 dead turtles washing up on the Mississippi coast,

I saw on the news that that are going to do "tests" on the Turtles, to Determine

the cause of their deaths.

They will probably find they died of Boredom.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Sean48

I feel it in my gut. This is the worst disaster, environmentally, ever unfolding before our very eyes. I want to be wrong, though.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   

I get the exact same impression.

And I also get the impression that somehow this all happened differently than an 'accident'. The world stakes are so high right now, and SO MANY disasters already this year...

Haiti
Chile
Iceland

This has the potential to be so far reaching that drilling for oil will be forbidden ever again, especially in oceans.

Lets hope it supports the move to alternative energy, although it is hard to spin this in a positive light.

Really good article, thanks for posting.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
So much for Bush's idea of drilling in the gulf. More rich people getting richer.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I am not sure how it happened. I don't immediately want to jump onto the conspiracy bandwagon but there is one photograph that is giving me shivers as to the sheer fake-ness of it. What do you all think?

[img] [atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/4c3421162ecbc673.jpg[/img]

[edit on 3/5/10 by Lebowski achiever]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
the worst part is they have two plans on the table: one that's never been tested at that depth or that pressure and the other will take an estimated three months. The oil spill is reported to have tripled in size in three days and the drilling, (if the first fails) could take months, drastically increasing the effect of the spill. My biggest concern, above the already terrible nature of this incident, is what we will do if both options fail or cannot be done?

Now is a great time to see what extent the big shakers and movers of the world are willing to go to fix this. The fact this isn't be reported with the hysteria that surrounded swine-flu is a plus in some ways at least (keep people calm or whatever) but at the same time, I feel this spill warrants the kind of reporting swine-flu received.

I wonder what I'll be telling my kids in twenty years about this? will this damage the planet but usher in a push for safe and renewable energy? or will we still be driving the petroleum industry telling them about what the oceans used to be like?

I know this is a rather gloomy and speculative post but these are the thoughts this mess stirs up in me.

Cheers

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I have been avoiding every bit of news about this disaster since it happened.

I just don't even want to think about the consequences, it really pisses me off the way we are fracking up the planet.

There comes a point when it's just too much.

Point of No Return.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I still don't understand why they can't create a specializd weapon that can penetrate down beneath this pipe, blow up and close it off. Oh that's right.......BP invested billions in this pipe and they want to be able to salvage it and re use it. It reminds me of fighting fires in CA. A handful of measly water dropping planes instead of bombarding a fire with 50-100 one right after another.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

I am not an engineer, but I know that any explosions will need a careful assessment of the environment before making any decision like that. It could actually back fire and make the crack worse and with all that oil present. Not sure it's an option. Just think a controlled demolition! It takes months of preparation for just a building on dry land. This is has just a few more obstacles, to say the least and is not straightforward.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lebowski achiever
I am not sure how it happened. I don't immediately want to jump onto the conspiracy bandwagon but there is one photograph that is giving me shivers as to the sheer fake-ness of it. What do you all think?

[img] [atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/4c3421162ecbc673.jpg[/img]

Could you elaborate on that? What makes you say that. Is it just the surreal image of something that massive being in total disorder and chaos above thousands of feet of water? Just a "gut feeling"? Would love to hear your point on this.

Considering the helplessness of the authorities and the scope this has taken already with no sign of stopping any time soon, is it safe to say that this is the "big one"? I just pray that there won't be the slightest hint of foul play on this one, or I might have to go live with some indigenous people turning my back on all of this.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
It could just be me...Maybe it is the surreal-ness of the situation,but the metal sheen of the 'hull', the pipes through the smoke. It just seems like a CGI image from a game or movie.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   

yeah your right it does look very cgi...like a p33 game or something

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Dicex

Your right its a new ps3 game called Rainbow Six Black Gold where you and your crew fight terrorists who blow up an oil rig .Its based on actual events.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz
reply to post by Dicex

Your right its a new ps3 game called Rainbow Six Black Gold where you and your crew fight terrorists who blow up an oil rig .Its based on actual events.

Are you saying that is an image from that game? Seriously?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Yeah Its the sequel to Rainbow Six Free Willy where you and your crew have to help a whale get free.Its based on actual events.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join