It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran offers help in fighting Gulf of Mexico oil leak

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Maybe the Iranians will offer all those death brides, can use to plug hole.
one way to plug hole.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
There isn't much Iran could do...I don't know why the U.S. hasn't put the navy in the area to help cut off some of the oil from reaching shore. This is definitely Iranian propaganda...but it does make me wonder what the hell the U.S. government is doing not using their huge Navy to help with the relief, while BP and the Coast Guard work to plug the hole (which I'm sure is much more complex than we think.)

[edit on 3-5-2010 by yellowcard]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by yellowcard

There isn't much Iran could do..

and you know this....... how? *sigh* what's the harm in taking them up on it? What does the U.S. loose by accepting help? Why is it deemed solely a U.S. problem anyway? You post here, you know what world politics is like. Hey, I have an idea.......... have Israel's and Iran's fleet working side by side.

yeah, right. Bluebirds and daisys, right? Meanwhile, the plume widens and drifts, and the President visits Louisiana and shakes his head sadly and makes a hopeful speech.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
reply to post by airspoon

Its not that Iran should not help, its that they cannot. Their sum total of military power is a few subs an patrol boats. Sorry, but they'd just be annoying.

Ok... and they don't produce oil in Iran right, nor they have a private sector which owns oil rigs and stuff and qualified man power to deal with this. right...

Yes US soldiers in war boats loaded with guns that know # about oil or drilling are the answer to this problem... right once again...

It's just amazing how Americans in general like to think we are the only ones capable of doing things, I find that beyond ignorant.

Iran is a member of OPEC, they produce a whole lot of oil and they are sit over one of the biggest oil reserves on Earth. They certainly understand a whole lot more about oil than anyone on the US military.

They can help a lot and this would be a great place to start a diplomatic dialog to peace between the two countries using a catastrophe as starting point. Nothing bad could come out of this period.

But I guess you're right accepting help is way too much of a humbling experience for the US, specially when manufactured enemies and wars to entertain the ignorant masses are required to keep the pockets of a few full.

I say, cut the crap, accept the help, fix the problem, open a dialog with Iran and move from there. Nothing much to loose and nature would say thanks.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I think it's a PR move by Iran as well. They're offering help assuming were going to turn it down or ignore the offer. Either way they come out looking good. I think they would back peddle or offer ineffective options if we took them up on it. I'd like us to take them up on their offer none the less.

Edited for spelling :

[edit on 3-5-2010 by VintageEnvy]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

First, plugging the hole is not the only thing that needs to be done so regardless of whether they can plug the hole or not, they can still be useful. They might even in fact have a solution to plugging the hole and we will never know unless we accept their help. Second, if they couldn't spare any ships/boats or resources to help, then this argument is nill and they won't be able to help anyway. I suspect that if they couldn't offer us any help, then they wouldn't have asked. Third, Iran is experienced in oil clean up and spill containment so they would very much be able to help with the clean up and containment. Did you forget that containment and cleanup is the biggest part of this disaster? Plugging the hole is the relatively easy part. Do you realize how much oil has already spilled and that the oil needs to be contained and then cleaned up as quickly as possible or do you think that all we need to do is plug this hole and everything will be just fine?

No one is begging Iran to come and save us. It is real simple actually, Iran offered help and seeing that we need all the help that we can get, we should accept that help. Nothing more really. Iran has decades worth of expertise in this very area, far more expertise that the shrimp boat crews who are currently being recruited and who we don't have enough of already.

It really is a very simple concept and no matter how your feelings may be on Iran, they offered their help and well, we very much need all the help that we can get and not really with plugging the hole but rather with clean up and containment.

As far as questioning Iran's motives, that's really irrelevant, at least from my stand point. I personally believe that Iran is trying to win popular support with the American people so that we are not so easily duped through a smear campaign to support military and/or financial intervention in the country, as we were so easily duped with Iraq. Venezuela did it semi-successfully with their heating-oil program for lower income Americans and the only people that this doesn't benefit is TPTB as well as special and corporate interests. I personally don't see any harm in that, other than for special and corporate interests. It sure doesn't hurt the American people and in fact, it is a win-win-win situation. We get less damage from the oil spill, they get better PR wich reduces their chance of being bullied by America's and Israel's elite and Americans don't have to send our loved ones off to war for the benfit of TPTB. What is the harm in that?

As far as the question that you request we ask ourselves, I have no idea why our allies have not offered help. Maybe they have and we simply don't know about it. Maybe they don't want to or can't for whatever reason, including financial troubles that TPTB have created. As far as Iran not having the expertise, that simply isn't true. They do have the expertise for what we need. Again, plugging the hole is only a small part of what needs to be done.

Hmmm, think about it for a minute. We are in a crisis and need help. Iran has the resources and expertise to help us with what we need, so they offer to help. Somehow we refuse the help because TPTB have an agenda that doesn't benefit anyone but themselves so again, we lose out. The American people are in trouble and need help with this disaster. TPTB have an agenda that doesn't benefit the people at all so they refuse the help to further/protect their agenda which doesn't benefit us anyway so again, we are getting the raw end of the stick. If that makes sense to you, then maybe you are too far out there to even suggest reason.

We need help, Iran can help and has offered to do so but because special and corporate interests have an agenda at our expense, they are going to refuse said help which sticks it to us even further. Ask yourself this, what has Iran done to you? Have they hurt you or threatened you in anyway? Have you really fallen for the propaganda that Iran is somehow out to get you? Did you fall for that same shtick about Iraq? And finally.... Are you benefitting at all by the agenda of TPTB, the same agenda that sends us off to sensless wars or enslaves us through monetary debt and tramples our Constitutional rights? If you are not benefitting from this agenda at all, then why would you support it by buying into their propaganda? Why refuse their much needed help because the same people who have lied to you on countless occasions, tell you that this country is the "boogie-man". Not only will you lose by forfitting this fragile eco-system but you also lose by forfitting your money, loved ones and liberties. I don't know about you, but I'd rather at least win a small prize, such as getting better control over this disaster so we only suffer from this as little as possible.

--airspoon

Edited for grammar.

[edit on 3-5-2010 by airspoon]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

Venezuela can't even extract their own crap by their own, they need Brazilian or other foreign companies to do that for them. If Iran can't help, Venezuela can't even less.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by argentus

and you know this....... how? *sigh* what's the harm in taking them up on it? What does the U.S. loose by accepting help? Why is it deemed solely a U.S. problem anyway? You post here, you know what world politics is like. Hey, I have an idea.......... have Israel's and Iran's fleet working side by side.

yeah, right. Bluebirds and daisys, right? Meanwhile, the plume widens and drifts, and the President visits Louisiana and shakes his head sadly and makes a hopeful speech.

Uhm, logic? The U.S. has the largest Navy in the world, you think a little piss-ant nation that pumps oil in the middle of a desert where the filth has little environmental impact is going to be able to help plug a hole miles under the ocean?

P.S.: Israel hasn't even offered to help, and they couldn't do much either...neither could China, or Russia, or any nation unless they have a miracle technology; it's reality...sure let's take them up on it...but they won't be doing anything but standing around, getting in the way.

Sorry, I'm being realistic here, if we have a situation when they could actually help (they know that they can't, thus they offered) then I'd take them up on it...but in this situation they couldn't do a damn thing.

The fact that they themselves know that they couldn't help leads me to believe it's total PR for people naive enough to believe Iran has a soft heart when it comes to the U.S.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by VintageEnvy
I think it's a PR move by Iran as well. They're offering help assuming were going to turn it down or ignore the offer. Either way they come out looking good. I think they would back peddle or offer ineffective options if we took them up on it. I'd like us to take them up on their offer none the less.

Edited for spelling :

[edit on 3-5-2010 by VintageEnvy]

That's exactly why their help should be accepted. It would be a great opportunity to test their real intentions and open a possible dialog. For me it's a win/win situation.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   

And you know iran really can help .... how? *sigh*

And Bush got his head handed to him because it took the feds 3 days to respond to katrina under his watch. *sigh*

How many days has it been since this has happened and now you've all given up on obama and the feds (but somehow obama gets a pass) and to a bunch of you it's up to the iranians to save us. *sigh*

Oh, and up to you to prove that iran really can help with this situation - since you can't prove the negative as you've asked for. *sigh*

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   

That's exactly the point, Centurion. It isn't known if Iran CAN help or not, but there are plenty of people to assure us that they can't ....... aren't there? Plenty of people to create reasons to write off assistance to a potentially deadly oil spill. Maybe the U.S. should actually find out what they propose. Think?

It's really pretty simple, and it doesn't have anything to do with Bush or Obama, insofar as the whole mitigation of the spill goes. Politicians do what they do -- they arrive and give assurances, and the people who actually do the work were on it long before the politicians decide what to wear to the soundbite.

If Iran is just grandstanding, then what better way to expose that then calling them on it? Yes, please help. Immediately. What's the worst think that can happen -- that they actually DO help?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon

It's too bad that the US will most likely turn the offer from Iran down. We need all the help that we can get, regardless of political implications. If Iran can offer valuable help, which they can, then we should not let any political agenda get in the way of that much needed help. Who cares if Iran may or may not be using this as a "PR" oppurtunity, a very fragile ecosystem is in danger. We should force our government to put aside any agenda they may have and accept all of the help available.
--airspoon

in.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

You see, politicians and conspiracy theorists are very similar in that they expect the worst. You OP, some conspiratorial aberration, see an opportunity here but others around here and in the government see a clever political maneuver from Iran bent less on helping and more geared towards its own ends.

...For instance, this ever-so-genuine offer of assistance could have been sent through less public channels...just speculation.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
This "spill" is a catastrophe of mega proportions. If it's not stopped and cleaned up before the hurricanes begin it's going to be much, much worse. We are having a hard time containing it as things stand now, what will the world do when it becomes mobilized by the power of a hurricane?

It's an "all hands on deck" situation folks, there is a timer running and no way to stop it. This MUST be contained and cleaned up with great haste.

Any and all help should be accepted and used to it's fullest.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   

That's exactly the point, Centurion. It isn't known if Iran CAN help or not, but there are plenty of people to assure us that they can't ....... aren't there? Plenty of people to create reasons to write off assistance to a potentially deadly oil spill. Maybe the U.S. should actually find out what they propose. Think?

It's really pretty simple, and it doesn't have anything to do with Bush or Obama, insofar as the whole mitigation of the spill goes. Politicians do what they do -- they arrive and give assurances, and the people who actually do the work were on it long before the politicians decide what to wear to the soundbite.

If Iran is just grandstanding, then what better way to expose that then calling them on it? Yes, please help. Immediately. What's the worst think that can happen -- that they actually DO help?

Oh Jesus effing Christ; fine, if I was President I'd let them help, though again they couldn't (and likely wouldn't) do anything...but sure let them help. What the hell else do you want people to say? Maybe they can turn the oil into candy and gumdrop smiles, and create a rainbow that rains skittles.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Threadfall

I have no doubt that this is a stunt for PR but that is besides the point. What do I care, or any American for that matter, if Iran gets good PR. That would be a small price to pay for some much needed help, especially seeing how the American tax-payer is most likely going to be stuck with the large bill. I don't care what Iran's motives are, just as long as they are not dangerous to my person, family or country. I could care less if their motives are dangerous to the agenda of TPTB. Again, I have no doubt that Iran has ulterior motives for their offer of help but I don't think those ulterior motives are dangerous to anyone except corporate and special interests.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
This would leave open the possibility of a planned terrorist attack...

U.S. "allows" Iran to help, bomb go's off in Houston or something happens... and stuff gets started.

But the idea is that it was all planned by the US...

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   

I think we agree. Listen, I know our leaders aren't about to listen to Iran about this. But no doubt they--Iran--have drilling knowledge that could be of some help here. So they should go directly to BP if they really want to help, considering the circumstances I doubt the US would protest a few Iranian "consultants" if there was any chance it could mitigate this disaster.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
You know what?
I'm done!
I've asked multiple of times, How can Iran help? yet I get rhetoric and political responses

the Proof is in the pudding

!Political BS meanwhile Earth Dies!

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Threadfall

I think we agree. Listen, I know our leaders aren't about to listen to Iran about this. But no doubt they--Iran--have drilling knowledge that could be of some help here. So they should go directly to BP if they really want to help, considering the circumstances I doubt the US would protest a few Iranian "consultants" if there was any chance it could mitigate this disaster.

If iran has drilling knowledge ...

Guess you haven't been paying attention to this thread. It has already been stated that westerners drilled most if not all iran's wells. And those wells are not under 5,000 feet of water. So, where, exactly is this iranian "drilling knowledge" going to come from?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by likeabull
They should accept help from anyone that knows how to fix the problem. 3 months is a long time for oil to be flowing into the ocean. Where is Harry Stamper from Armageddon when you need him!!!

Most excellent! i was thinking the same thing.
A bit of levity helps.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join