It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oil Spill Worst Case: The Grey Goo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Grey goo (alternatively spelled gray goo) is a hypothetical end-of-the-world scenario involving molecular nanotechnology in which out-of-control self-replicating robots consume all matter on Earth while building more of themselves,[1][2] a scenario known as ecophagy ("eating the environment").

In a History Channel broadcast, grey goo is referred to in a futuristic doomsday scenario: "In a common practice, billions of nanobots are released to clean up an oil spill off the coast of Louisiana. However, due to a programming error, the nanobots devour all carbon based objects, instead of just the hydrocarbons of the oil. The nanobots destroy everything, all the while, replicating themselves. Within days, the planet is turned to dust

en.wikipedia.org...

While it may sound like science fiction, I believe the PTB have been preparing us for it.

We know the technology is currently available, as the following youtube video demonstrates.

To those who would consider using it. The nanobots eat up the oil, until the oil is gone. What if the nanobots get into the underground supply, and spread globally?

What if the nanobots adapt to eat other forms of carbon, such as plants, animals, people. I urge people to seriously take a look at the consequences before taking this drastic step, which I guarantee is being examined.

The marriage of nanoparticulates and SAMs provides direct access to a new class of nanostructured hybrid materials that are very useful as environmental sorbent materials, structural components, coatings, wetting control, friction and lubrication control, adhesion, bio-related applications (e.g. pharmaceutical controlled release, and biomedical implant materials), sensing/detection, environmental remediation and electronics materials.

www.physorg.com...

[edit on 3-5-2010 by 911stinks]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Michio Kaku talked about this doomsday scenario before, I believe in his book Visions.

It is a dire situation indeed.

This is why I think nanotechnology should be banned and all research forced off world into space stations on OTHER star systems.

That way if things go wrong, it is isolated and contained.

Same goes with trying to create black holes.

It needs to be at a remote uninhabited star system as a safety precaution.

Just in case the INEVITABLE happens!

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Creepy - video reminds me of pacman.

The big questions would be how would they be contained once they do their "job" cleaning up the spill? Are they randomly released and let to duplicate indefinitly? Do they have ( or do we even know about) the capability to adapt and evolve into something destructive once they consume what their meant for?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Michael Crichton wrote a book in 2002 called Prey, which has a end of the world, nanobots taking over theme.

Ricky, now working for Xymos and in charge of the fab plant, gives Jack a brief tour of the building, and explains that the company was under contract from the Department of Defense to create a swarm of nanorobots that act as a camera for reconnaissance and spying. The swarm is created by genetically modified E. coli bacteria, which create gamma assemblers from raw materials that, in turn, manufacture nanobots.

Jack comes up with a plan to destroy this new strain. Mae and Jack drink vials containing a form of phage that kills the nanobot-producing E. coli bacteria. The phage would protect them from infection. Jack then proceeds to take a sample of the phage and pour it into the sprinkler system and drench everyone with it. He tricks Mae into alerting Julia and the infected team. They set out to stop Jack. In the vicious struggle that ensues, Vince is killed and Jack, who barely escapes death multiple times, finally manages to dump the sample into the sprinkler system.

en.wikipedia.org...

Michael Crichton does his homework. Was he trying to tell us something, through science fiction?

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
This is very scary indeed.

Here comes the military.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Since I have no idea how nano-technology works, wouldn't an EMP knock them out for at least a while? They must be powered by something. Failing that, dredge the oceans with powerful magnets or don't allow them to self replicate. Like I said, I'm shooting BB's in the dark here.

top topics

join