It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We aren't as lost as we think.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Hi ATS,

This is my first touchy-feely post. I work in critical care medicine, and I see the bad stuff all day, and I get jaded like anybody else who sees everyone, and everything in its worst case scenario day to day.

At the end of my shift yesterday I was perterbed that my relief was 45 minutes late. When he did show up I was going to give him what for, even though I really like the guy, and we associate outside of work. Before I said anything though I noticed he looked a little unhinged, and then I noticed his scrubs were drenched, and I mean literally soaked in blood. He was holding his old Walls canvas coat out at arms length, and it was ruined with blood stain. It looked like he had a front row seat to the live screening of "Texas Chainsaw Massacre."

"What happened?!" I asked. "I worked a car wreck that happened on the highway right in front of me on the way to work." The story that followed made me remember that most people really are good at heart, and that we get so caught up in the media sensationalization of the very few bad eggs, or in my case, just over exposure by situation. We forget most people do have a working moral compass, and it leads them with authority. Take heart ATS. It's bittersweet, but this is what happened.

My friend, we'll call him John, was travelling from his home on the outskirts of town. He has about a 20 mile trip to work, and 15 of it is on a major US highway. He was passed by a pickup truck going way too fast. He guesses 120 mph or better. As the truck topped the hill the Texas wind, and his excessive speed caused the rear of the truck to aeroplane. The truck cartwheeled 5 or 6 times, the guy flew out of the truck, and was rolled over by the truck at least twice. My friend stopped to render aid, and was in uniform. Two other non-medical by-standers also stopped. John admitted that had the other two not been there he would have probably just called 911, and waited. The guy had agonal respirations, but was obviously not going to survive. (I won't get into the gore.) The other two men saw John, and immediately asked "What do you want us to do?" John directed them, and joined in giving CPR, and some very basic 1st aid, admittedly for show, but the two other men were very moved to try to save this man even though to an experienced eye it was too late. John stayed, and helped them, and encouraged them. One man was constantly holding back dry heaves because the scene was beyond gruesome, and he was just a sheet rock hanger, and had never seen anything close to this before. The other a salesman, all three covered in blood, and body fluids of a complete stranger in the middle of nowhere. All three could have easily kept driving, and no one would ever know any different. These other two men, who never took an oath like my friend John, stayed and fought back nausea, panic, and sheer horror to help a stranger even though the chances of it making a difference were nil. Why? because it was the right thing to do. John didn't even get the other men's names, but if you ever read this guys: Well done! People wonder why Texans are so proud, and a little boastful. Well, there's a lot of good reason. We tend to give a damn.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   
did he die?

And a more gory picture of what happended to him.

Not many people realise how flimsy the human body is when you have an accident. things just seem to fall off and Tear open.

I do, Ive seen what can happen at 60mph, and it can be horrific.

Tell you what, if most people who speed saw what happened to this poor guy. the roads would be a lot safer.

I never speed for this exact reason. IM extremely careful. Im always thinking, what if i crashed at this speed? or if im doing 40, and theres a tractor around that corner, im screwed. then proceed to slow down.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

The poor guy was probably dead before anyone got there it was just residual brain stem activity. The breathing response is the last thing to go. He mostly likely never even realised he crashed, but for maybe a split second of surprise as his truck went half airborne.

Absolutely people need to slow down. I guarantee the samaritans that stopped to render aid will probably drive very carefully from now on. No there were no pictures, and I wouldn't post them if there were. From what I was told it would be too gruesome.

The guys that stopped to help really showed A LOT of courage. Even my friend John was feeling sick, and he has decades of medical service, and was a combat marine in Vietnam. It was bad, and these ordinary folks did the extraordinary, for no other reason than basic human concern.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Binder

Very tragic.

I didnt mean post pictures though.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

Yeah very. I wouldn't post something like it here, but I do think people should have to witness the aftermath of wanton stupidity at least once.

Maybe everyone should be drafted to be EMTs for the summer of their 18th year or something, boy would that give society perspective.

new topics

top topics

join