It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super Sniper Kills Taliban 1.5 Miles Away

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Truth1000
This WAS an achievement.

That was an amazing shot, first of all.

Second, if a group of men had not conspired to takeover civilian aircraft and fly them into American buildings, killing thousands of people, they would not now be hunted as criminals They would have no reason to fear that Westerners were coming into their country and trying to kill them. This was a RESPONSE, not an initiating action!!

These hijackers you are talking about are dead. If you didn't know. The people you are killing right now have nothing to do with 911. The people you are killing now didn't know 911 was going to happen any more than you did.

Geese's people are stupid.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Well if you read the sky news article the round was an 8.59 mm round so he was using a very specialized weapon. This was probably not your run of the mill sniper rifle. That is one or should I say two of the best shots that anyone person can make. Any person that has ever hunted knows that getting one good shot is tough but to get off two shots in that time is remarkable, but then to fire a third shot and take out the machine gun is just crazy. That must be a crazy feeling seeing the person next to you go down and then not have enough time to turn before you are hit and have no idea where it came from. That is just amazing.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Info on the 8.59mm

8.59mm Titan Lazzeroni designed the 8.59mm (.338) Titan in 1994. It is based on a very large case that is proprietary to Lazzeroni. This case is rimless bottleneck type with a 30 degree shoulder angle. The rim diameter is .577", the case length is 2.8", and the overall cartridge length is 3.75". The peculiar metric designations of Lazzeroni rifles and cartridges are based on their groove diameter, rather than the bore diameter measurement typically used by Europeans. Thus a 7mm becomes a 7.21mm, a .300 becomes a 7.82mm, and a .338 becomes an 8.59mm. Regardless of nomenclature, the Titan uses the same .338" bullets as the other super magnums described in this article. Lazzeroni factory loaded ammunition is available with 185 grain, 200 grain, 225 grain, and 250 grain bullets. The 250 grain bullet is the Swift A-Frame. The approximate MV of this load is 3100 fps and the ME is 5336 ft. lbs. The 400 yard figures are 2379 fps and 3143 ft. lbs. The following trajectory applies: +3.3" at 100 yards, +4" at 200 yards, 0 at 300 yards, and -9.3" at 400 yards. These figures were calculated for the standard conditions used for other factory loaded cartridges. Lazzeroni claims a somewhat higher velocity and flatter trajectory, but if one reads the fine print on the Lazzeroni ballistics table one discovers that it was calculated for a higher altitude (3000') than standard ballistics tables (1000') in order to take advantage of the thinner air, which offers less drag. Also, Lazzeroni assumes a line of sight 2" above the line of bore, rather than the traditional 1.5", to further flatten the apparent trajectory of their cartridges. The Titan was designed specifically for shooting heavy game at long range. To capitalize on the performance potential of this cartridge, Lazzeroni rifles in the caliber come with 27" barrels. Lazzeroni rifles and ammunition are neither inexpensive nor thick on the ground.

linky

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Well done that man!

The rifle in question is the standard 8.59x70mm (.338 Lapua Magnum) L115A3 that is replacing the 7.62mm L96A1. It is the military version of the Accuracy International AWM, fitted with a 5-25X56mm Schmidt & Bender PM II scope. From what I understand he dialled max on the elevaion drum plus aimed over by another 6ft. His spotter must have been doing the business with the range estimation, because the round has a trajectory like a rainbow at that range. Even a few metres off and you will miss.

The official effective range for the weapon is around 1500m. This shot was at 2475m (lazer ranged). This is a definate world record for a confirmed kill, never mind two. Shooting the machine gun - well that's just showing off! It beats the last record of 2430 made by a Canadian (Cpl Rob Furlong) in Afghanistan, 2002 using a 12.7x99mm (.50BMG) McMillan Tac-50 LRSW.

CoH Harrison notched up 12 confirmed kills during the tour. Not bad at all when you consider that you are lucky if you even make 12 confirmed sightings under contact in a tour of the Helmand Green Zone. Normally you're just firing in the direction of the incoming shots and trying to catch fleeting glimpses.

Not bad for a donkey walloper!

By the way, for those of you who berate this soldier and call him a murderer, bear in mind that he fired in response to a request for assistance from his command group who were under effective fire from this machine gun team. What do you think the Taliban were doing, shooting at rabbits? They were putting a murderous amount of fire down on CoH Harrisons' colleagues. He killed them before they could kill his mates, simple as.

Get off your ivory tower and start realising that these boys are out ther getting killed. Life or death is an easy thing to write off when you're on your arse in your comfy chair.

[edit on 3-5-2010 by PaddyInf]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Wow, this is impressive! IIRC he even beat ultra legendary US Marine sniper Carlos Hathcock with the kill distance.

BTW: whats a "corporal of horse"?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisF231

BTW: whats a "corporal of horse"?

Household Cavalry rank, equivilent to British Army Sergeant, US Army Staff Sergeant. NATO rank OR6.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I'm impressed! Great achievement on the shot and the kill!

One less evil person in the world.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I have to say that is amazing. I was once trained by an ex royal forces sniper that served in Basra. he made his first kill at 19 and it turned out to be a kid with an ak47. when I talked to him last someone had robbed his van (he had become a joiner.) and he found out who it was. I'm pretty sure that guy is dead now best not to ask questions I suppose.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by order in chaos

Now I think that can be called as a good achievement.

hahahhaah. ahhahahahahha

ohh....

ahah..

some peoples kids......

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dbriefed
I'm impressed! Great achievement on the shot and the kill!

One less evil person in the world.

dear lord.

what a dumb culture we are.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by spy66

These hijackers you are talking about are dead. If you didn't know. The people you are killing right now have nothing to do with 911. The people you are killing now didn't know 911 was going to happen any more than you did.

Geese's people are stupid.

I think the war support on this site and most sites is an illusion. I meet people all day long, everyday. The majority are hip to the baloney these war pushing internet lapdogs try to sell us.

fight the dumb.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
The stated effective range of that rifle is only 800m, which is the same as the stated effective range of AK-47. I think they were conservative in their assessment -- by the look of the rifle, it can shoot a bit further (as the application demonstrated).

PS. AK-47 is in fact a fairly accurate weapon but in no way similar to any specialized rifle. I used it at 400m.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
The stated effective range of that rifle is only 800m, which is the same as the stated effective range of AK-47. I think they were conservative in their assessment -- by the look of the rifle, it can shoot a bit further (as the application demonstrated).

Stated by who? The published effective range of the L115A3 is 1500m. You may be getting confused with the L96A1 (the weapon it is replacing), which is 7.62x51mm, and has a stated effective range of 600m (but is really nearer the 1000m point).

I'd love to meet whoever decides on these effective range numbers. According to official figures the L96 (which is one of the most accurate 7.62mm rifles in the world) has an effective range of 600m, yet it's not uncommon to read that the AK47 (which isn't even in the same league) has a range of 800m! That's just crazy talk!

By the way, I've seen AK47s engaging man sized targets with open sights at all sorts of ranges up to and including 800m (from the receiving end, might I add!). It sprays around like a mad womans' poo past about 300m. Any hits are usually via an act of whichever God the firer believes in.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

You knew what this thread is about and you chose to post in it. Killing in defense isn't murder you idiot.

Originally posted by spy66

Geese's I'm stupid.

it's nice to admit it.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by TruthSeeker8300]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Once I hit a bird at the top of a tree that was 150 yards away. I did it with a lever action bb gun and the arc was almost half a circle. Everybody gets a lucky shot, sometimes even 2 in a row. Really great technology, but I bet it was mostly luck.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthdude
Once I hit a bird at the top of a tree that was 150 yards away. I did it with a lever action bb gun and the arc was almost half a circle. Everybody gets a lucky shot, sometimes even 2 in a row. Really great technology, but I bet it was mostly luck.

Mate, hitting a bird from 150m is one thing. Making 2 consecutive torso hits and a weapon hit with 3 shots at 2475m is something else. When you take into consideration the factors involved it beggars belief. Try even seeing a human at that range and you'll understand what I mean.

One hit, may be written off as luck. Three hits is skill.

The only luck involved was that the firing conditions were near perfect.

Even so, I'm a sniper-class shot and I couldn't make those hits on my best day no matter what technology you give me. When I qual'd as a sharpshooter our longest test shot (with the 7.62mm L96) was at 900m and this was pretty tough.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by PaddyInf

Stated by who? The published effective range of the L115A3 is 1500m.

Indeed! I simply looked at a post in this thread and was mislead.
en.wikipedia.org...

I'd love to meet whoever decides on these effective range numbers.

Well I already implied in my post that it's rather arbitrary.

By the way, I've seen AK47s engaging man sized targets with open sights at all sorts of ranges up to and including 800m (from the receiving end, might I add!).

God, man. I'd shat my pants in that situation.

It sprays around like a mad womans' poo past about 300m. Any hits are usually via an act of whichever God the firer believes in.

I'm obviously not a weapons expert, but I would guess that performance of a weapon would depend on its quality of production, maintenance and ammo, and firing conditions. The original Soviet AK's in a fairly new condition (the kind I handled just a few times), when fired in perfect conditions can hypothetically be more accurate than your rather eloquent description. I recall the "actual effective" range was advertised more like 400m in the books, with 800m being where you still have a small chance of hitting stuff. I wouldn't try that.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   

By the way, I've seen AK47s engaging man sized targets with open sights at all sorts of ranges up to and including 800m (from the receiving end, might I add!).

God, man. I'd shat my pants in that situation.

As did I the first time (not literally!). It gets a bit better once it's happened a few times, but the person who tells you they aren't even a bit scared when they're being shot at is probably just a liar or their metal health is a bit suspect. I still pucker up a bit, but my mind tends to be more on sorting out the problem than vanishing up my own fundamental orafice now that I have some experience.

I'm obviously not a weapons expert, but I would guess that performance of a weapon would depend on its quality of production, maintenance and ammo, and firing conditions. The original Soviet AK's in a fairly new condition (the kind I handled just a few times), when fired in perfect conditions can hypothetically be more accurate than your rather eloquent description.

I would tend to agree to a point. The AK as a firing platform is just not designed to be a thing of great accuracy. The slow 7.62x39 isn't exactly a tack-driver. Coupled with the short sight radius and the fairly loose tolerences that make the basic AK design so rugged, and you don't exactly have a precision machine.

That's not to say you can't get some decent accuracy from a well built AK platform - you just have to work quite a bit harder to achieve it.

Oh, and I do have quite a way with phrasing my hyperbole, don't I?

I recall the "actual effective" range was advertised more like 400m in the books, with 800m being where you still have a small chance of hitting stuff. I wouldn't try that.

I'd give it a go. I'd probably miss, but I'd still give it a go...

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Thats nothing! I killed somebody with a potato gun and don't talk to me about distance I actually fired into the past, with my eyes closed...on one leg...er from the moon.
Beat that then!

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by markygee
Thats nothing! I killed somebody with a potato gun and don't talk to me about distance I actually fired into the past, with my eyes closed...on one leg...er from the moon.
Beat that then!

i shot a fire extinguisher with a air rifle and it exploded in a mountain of foam blowing out all the windows in the dissuaded abandoned asbestos garage 0_0 hows that?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join