It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spin Masters and the Oil Slick

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:55 AM
link   
The headline reads:
Coast May Be Spared

Gov. Haley Barbour said at a news conference Sunday that a massive oil spill might be contained without reaching Mississippi shores.....

www.sunherald.com...

Just under this intro, is another feature for the gallery (photos) of 20 dead sea turtles that have washed up on Pass Christian. However the accompanying statement reads that it has not been ascertained whether the oil spill has anything to do with these deaths. The pics are heart wrenching.

The words of one story seem very conflicting with the visual images of another story that very much seems related. Will the masses remain hypnotized?

Meanwhile....

Relax, folks. It's only a rumor?

Rep. Gene Taylor also addressed a rumor that oil is being steered toward Mississippi's coastline.

www.wlox.com...

Anyone else finding odd media statements?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   
I don't find it odd..

It's typical. Sad but well within what I was expecting.. leaders trying to downplay this tragedy..

This will not be something they can sham many on, especially in Gulf Coast states that will surely see the affect first hand.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Well considering that the rig went down days before it was reported in the media, kind of shows you how it all works. As usual a member from ATS was first to report the rig going down and how a D9 notice was slapped on it.

At the end of the day those with so called higher positions than us mere mortals believe they can say and do whatever they want in order to 'protect' us.

I say # you I can protect myself!

[edit on 3-5-2010 by franspeakfree]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
I just read that The One has stated the BP America will cover all costs that are needed for the clean up. I'll bet that their lawyers, the master spin doctors, are already gearing up for a decade long court fight. In the end, I'm thinking that in the end, no one will get any compensation just like the people in Valdez.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
What do you think of BP soliciting for volunteers for haz-mat work?
Why do these corporations expect the government and the "expendible" little people to wipe their ****?

Why are these multi-trillion dollar corporations not paying these people? What happens when these volunteers become sick?

Some of the people who want to help with any cleanup in South Mississippi had their first face-to-face meetings with BP officials Sunday in Ocean Springs.

At Sunday's training sessions, company officials gave volunteers basic safety reminders,....

The company also announced plans to hold four-hour Haz-mat training courses for volunteers, that would qualify them to clean up any oily mess that comes along. The courses would be reduced from the traditional 40-hour training....

www.wlox.com...

A 40 hour training class reduced to 4 hours? Does this sound responsible?

First they destroy the livlihood of many people as well as their homeland, then they expect them to freely volunteer for hazardous work?

These volunteers are to be commended for their heart, but this is just grossly wrong for these corporations to take advantage of people like this.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
From the New Orleans area....

On Saturday the sea turtles started washing up on shore. On Sunday, the turtles were joined by dead catfish, horseshoe crabs, and birds: a duck, a pelican and a seagull.

"But we've never seen this many," he said, shaking his head. "Something's going on; we just don't know what."

The animals don't appear to be coated in oil, but some of the turtles have damaged shells. Though sea turtles can be seen out near the barrier islands, no one is sure where these dead ones are coming from.

www.nola.com...

"No one is sure where these dead sea creatures are coming from"?
Can you say---d-e-n-i-a-l?

[edit on 3-5-2010 by Alethea]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
BP DENIES RESPONSIBILITY!!!

BP CEO Tony Hayward said Monday on ABC's "Good Morning America" that BP was not responsible for the accident. He said the equipment that failed and led to the spill belonged to owner Transocean Ltd., not BP, which operated the Deepwater Horizon rig.

galvestondailynews.com.../dynamic/stories/U/US_GULF_OIL_SPILL

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I will say this again. BP's workers should not have to suffer for this. The CEO who is supposed to manage this company should be given life in prison. This is obviously how he feels about you. Sure we are driving sea food prices up and oil up, but volunteer and make a difference. He is a big advocate for capitalism until something like this happens. Then he wants communism in the form of a free work force. He is lower than human, throw him in jail for the rest of his pathetic existence. Let the board hire a new one.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ventian
The CEO who is supposed to manage this company should be given life in prison.

But they are denying responsibility. Looks like we are in for everyone passing the buck. BP says its Transocean's fault. Maybe they, in turn, will blame some peon on the manufacture assembly line.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

Wouldn't that be like a meth explosion in the house you are renting and you blaming it on the land lady?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by wolf241e

No company, BP included, is going to foot this bill in its entirety because they are protected by maximum liability I'm sure. Very few legit, major companies -- including all of the ones associated with this catastrophe -- do not have protection against a no-ceiling claim or lawsuit. There's official legalese for this type of thing that I'm sure someone else will know.

So for Obama to say BP is going to cover it -- is a bunch of bunk. I'm sure BP and every other company whose name appears anywhere in conjunction with this will pay something, but it will not be the full value of the damage I guarantee it.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Should we be concerned about other domino effects such as earthquakes? Is fluid extraction related to earthquake activity?

Here is information (with illustrations) concerning the fault line in the gulf.

elainemeinelsupkis.typepad.com...

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Coffer dams are being built

Relief wells being drilled

Crews also started drilling the first of two relief wells Sunday shortly after 3 p.m., but those efforts will take at least two months to complete.
Additionally, the smallest of the three leaks could be capped soon, Suttles said. Crews were working to weld a valve over it.

He said crews operating remote-controlled vehicles had managed to close a part of a blowout preventer, an emergency device designed to cap the well that had failed when the rig exploded, but oil continued to leak around its seal.

www.nola.com...

From the same article, it appears that BP also initially expected the volunteers to waive their rights in order to be accepted as a volunteer. Insult to injury. These clever thugs really seem to display a lot of gall.

BP quickly backed off several provisions included in waivers that volunteer workers were asked to sign before being hired to assist in the clean-up, said Jim Klick, an attorney representing a number of Plaquemines Parish shrimpers.

The provisions included a requirement that the workers waive their rights to damages resulting from their work, which BP officials later told Klick were included in a "boilerplate" waiver form, and will not be enforced

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I wonder if the 4 story coffer dam will reach the area later today?

To stop those flows, BP is building giant containment devices to encase the leaks and enable workers to safely pump the oil to the surface where it can be trapped in containment vessels on the Enterprise drill ship and removed. The main containment chamber, fabricated by the Houston company Wild Well Control Inc., in Golden Meadow, should be ready Tuesday, Settles said.

Workers will begin transporting the four-story, 65-ton device to the site of the accident Tuesday. It will take about a week to put into operation.

www.nola.com...

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Why is there no slush fund for these things. Say anyone who wants to drill has to drop $100 million into a fund.

If anything happens anywhere in the world, the cash is immediatly available for anything. Like paying volunteers.

I still vote drop the BP CEO in the slick. Just to make a point.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
i got a better idea seize bp and all its assets nationalize it put the money back in our pockets leasing out oil fields so big oil can make billions of dollars is wrong. they fail to upkeep safe working equipment and crap like this happens . exxon valldez had a drunk captain what is britsh petroleum excuse

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Come on Down! The Fishing is GREAT!
(news from the area of Destin, Florida)

All's clear and fishing is good(PHOTOS)

May 05, 2010 4:10 PM
Tina Harbuck

There is a silver lining to this oil spill and it is captained by Ed Shields.

Capt. Ed Shields backed in on the charter boat Silver Lining Wednesday afternoon with a great catch.

They had red grouper, scamp, a half dozen triggerfish and several mingo and white snapper.

www.thedestinlog.com...

Edits: Can't get letter size to work correctly

[edit on 6-5-2010 by Alethea]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   
News from Pensacola area posted yesterday.
The newscaster deviates a little bit from the printed written script.

Pay special attention to the video and you will hear these phrases:

"Communities along Florida's Gulf Coast are organizing clean-up efforts in preparation in case oil reaches the beaches."

"Changing winds have now pushed the oil slick 60 miles from Escambia County's coastline...that's Pensacola. If the weather holds on the way...uh, the way that it's been doing...the oil might not make it...uh...make any kind of landfall in Florida....until next week, if at all!"

www.wjhg.com...

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Ahh back to the disinfo game. US Gov't the blind is to you.

Napolitano Sounds Hopeful Note on Oil Leak, but BP Says She Has Wrong Info

Napolitano, on a trip to Alabama, said the spill is slowing down, and that tests indicated less oil and more natural gas was coming out of the broken well. She called that good news even though she admitted it hadn't been verified.

A BP official told the Associated Press late Tuesday that there has always been a mixture of gas and oil coming up since a crippled oil rig sank last month. Company spokesman Mark Proegler said scientists haven't noticed any significant change in the leak.

www.foxnews.com...

I generally don't think the news is unbiased, but even they will call bs every once in a while..

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
This just in...45 mins. ago....

Another new idea that "has never been done before". Could the cure be worse than the disease?

The company received word Friday that federal regulators had approved spraying chemical dispersants beneath the sea, a contentious development because it has never been done underwater.

So far more than 517,000 gallons of dispersants, most of which is a product called Corexit 9500 previously approved (by the EPA) for use on the sea surface only, have been dropped over the spill or shot undersea.

"Our concerns about the use of these dispersants underwater is based on the fact that there is virtually no science that supports the use of those chemicals," Levine said.

news.yahoo.com...

top topics

join