It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans won't vote for an Atheist.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Of course they won't. Americans tie some kind of virtue to simply believing in some supernatural power. Doesn't even matter what one it is, stupid as that may be. Put Reverend in front of your name and you can get away with murder.

If you DON'T believe in any, however, they think is something terribly wrong with you.

I think there's something wrong with Americans. The only good thing I took from this thread is that support for Mormons is going down.

Thank Jebus.

Peace
KJ

[edit on 3-5-2010 by KrazyJethro]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheImmaculateD1

Satanism to Atheism is like Christian to Catholic so umm no.

I'd hate to have to repeat it but I can't let it go. The quoted phrase is the most ignorant and uninformed statement I have ever seen on ATS. You are a fool and a buffoon.

Back on topic, too bad they didn't poll me. I would vote for an atheist before I'd vote for any religious candidate even if they had a different political philosophy than my own. I'd love a president who was unencumbered by superstition. Atheists also tend to be FAR more ethical people than those who follow religion. Too bad America isn't ready for it, but I'm not surprised: the American people tend to make poor choices consistently.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

I'm sorry, but voting for someone just because they are Atheist is just as dumb as voting for someone because they are Catholic or Protestant.

Again I say, religious ideals should be left out. It's just a play on our emotions, which should be insulting.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by iamsupermanv2

I'm sorry, but voting for someone just because they are Atheist is just as dumb as voting for someone because they are Catholic or Protestant.

Again I say, religious ideals should be left out. It's just a play on our emotions, which should be insulting.

I disagree.

Voting for someone unencumbered by religious superstition is a wise choice in many ways.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   

But voting for them only because of that?

That is short sighted. An atheist is just as likely to be a bad person as a Catholic.

A Pagan is just as likely to be a bad person as a Mormon.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Religious view points have no place in politics.

People use what religion you are to judge what your morals SHOULD be. It makes sense on paper: You say you are a Baptist, one would assume you subscribe to their moral guide lines would they not? But how many times have we found out not only in politics, but in our day to day lives that even people who go to church every Sunday, hell, even the preachers, are scumbags.

Society set Religion up as a moral barometer, and it is not.

It is just as unfair to say someone is a good person because they are religious as it is to say they are a bad person because they choose none. The same thing the other way around.

Just because I don't claim a faith does not automatically make me uninfluenced.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by DISRAELI

Originally posted by LifeInDeath
It's funny that a country that has an established official church, The Church of England, is more comfortable with an atheist than America would ever be.

It's arguable that having an established church helped to make the country less religious. The "resistance to authority" factor.

The Québécois leaving the Catholic Church in droves during the Quiet Revolution of the 1960's seems to bolster your point.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by iamsupermanv2

But voting for them only because of that?

That is short sighted.

Fair enough, I will concede that point. I do however believe that policies set in the absence of religious influence would be more beneficial to the general welfare of America and the world than otherwise. Certainly this would not be the sole issue on whether they receive my vote but it would highly influence me toward their favor.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   

I agree on that point.

Frankly, I don't care what a politician is religiously.

I care that they do the right thing in any given situation that affects me as a citizen.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by slank

Atheism is NO RELIGION.
NO BULLPUCKY.
HONESTY, FACTS & THOUGHTFUL ETHICS.

For someone claiming "intelligence" you sure make a stupid and ill-thought out post.

You're assuming that ALL atheists value honesty, facts and thoughtful ethics. How about atheists who blindly cling to "no religion" out of ignorance the same way you atheists claim some religious people cling to religion out of ignorance?

In order to be a true atheist, one would have to to have studied the world's religions and made a thoughtful, education determination based on what they believed, correct? Otherwise they are making a choice to support atheism and label themselves an "atheist" based on ignorance.

Sorry to tell you this, but there are plenty of religious men and women who choose to believe in a religion not because of ignorance but because they have studied religions and believe that a supreme being exists.

Your argument that only the atheists are educated fails in more ways than I can count.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join