It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans won't vote for an Atheist.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I know this is rather old but it is still relevant.

Yes you would vote for...

Catholic.......... 95%
Black............. 94%
Jewish............ 92%
A Woman....... 88%
Hispanic......... 87%
Mormon.......... 72%
Married for the third time..... 67%
72 years of age..... 57%
A homosexual...... 55%
An Atheist....... 45%

An atheist would seem to have the hardest time getting elected president, as a majority of Americans (53%) say they would not vote for a presidential candidate who was an atheist.

Willingness to vote for non-traditional presidential candidates by Political Ideology..

Liberal...

Catholic.......... 97%
Black.............. 95%
Jewish............ 93%
A woman........ 96%
Hispanic.......... 92%
Mormon.......... 75%
Married three times.......... 74%
72 years of age.......... 59%
A homosexual.. 81%
An Atheist....... 67%

Moderate...

Catholic.......... 95%
Black.............. 94%
Jewish............ 91%
A woman........ 89%
Hispanic......... 87%
Mormon.......... 77%
Married three times.......... 71%
72 years of age.......... 52%
A homosexual.. 57%
An Atheist........ 48%

Conservative...

Catholic.......... 94%
Black.............. 92%
Jewish............ 91%
A woman........ 82%
Hispanic.......... 84%
Mormon.......... 66%
Married three times.......... 60%
72 years of age.......... 63%
A homosexual.. 36%
An Atheist........ 29%

Willingness to vote for non-traditional presidential candidates by gallup polling dates...

Jewish.......... 46%
Black........... N/A
Catholic........ 60%
Woman......... 33%
Mormon........ N/A

Jewish.......... 82%
Black........... 53%
Catholic........ 90%
Woman......... 57%
Mormon........ 75%

Jewish.......... 92%
Black........... 94%
Catholic........ 95%
Woman......... 88%
Mormon........ 72%

www.gallup.com...

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Of course. The last thing we need now is someone with a known confirmed at that satanical belief structure in a supposed Christian nation for which the USA shows allegiance to no religion why start there?

Satanism to Atheism is like Christian to Catholic so umm no.

Even though by orders of The Constitution those that practice it are not subjectable to prosecution if only doing so while all humans are safe and protected. Once it costs someone their life that gets tossed out the window.

Great research and very informative. Wow. Star and flag for you!

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I wonder about a black, gay, 72 year old atheist..

[edit on 3-5-2010 by broahes]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   
So more people from all groups would rather vote for a Mormon than an Athiest. At least we don't walk around ringing doorbells and preaching to people who want no part of it. Even after it's clear you're done listening.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
America went into a war for imaginary things & spent a Trillion dollars at it

and nobody seems to be even a little angry about it.

As an atheist,

I am RELIEVED that Americans won't vote for an atheist.

I don't know what makes most Americans the way they are, but sane doesn't seem to be on that list.

Sanity, for the few, the elite, the atheist.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Personally as a Catholic myself, I have a slight bias here, but I'm open minded as well. I would not vote for anyone not with the 'title' of Catholic or Christian, but instead with the most Catholic or Christian values and morals. For example, Barack Obama may be a 'Catholic', however, he supports many anti-christian valued morals and laws. I would rather have an atheist with the Christian sense of morals, rather than him. Now, as to why Americans may consider voting for Catholics is because they are the most 'trust-worthy'. Now I know that all Catholics are not all good, but same goes with Atheists. Americans would rather want a person who makes decisions based on strict laws and values from the Catholic faith. The only 'real' Catholic president we've had was John F. Kennedy, unfortunately eliminated. Americans know that Catholics value humanity and God very high up, but also think that Atheists have no morals at all and are very 'untrustworthy'. Obviously that's not true, but in many cases it has been disastrous. If Hitler himself was a Jew, why would he kill his own Jewish people, let alone even kill someone since it contradicts his beliefs. Lenin was an atheist and led Soviet Russia and the deaths of many people, Stalin the same. The list could go on and on, but I understand not all atheists are like that. It would be much more riskier to vote for an atheist than a Catholic in Americans' minds. Yet in this corrupted political system, any world leader with any title can end up being like Hitler. I really don't know how to explain it more than this. Don't take this as an offense, because like I said, I'm not saying all atheists have no laws to base their morals. I'm simply looking into the perspective of the average American.

[edit on 3-5-2010 by mike2112]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by mike2112

Very well put. You get a star because I'm on a rambling random crap in threads rampage and your post actually made me stop and think. A rarity in these parts of late.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
If you need god to prop up your morals, you don't have any.

They are borrowed or imposed.

Why would you vote for someone so afraid of their own humanity that they had to turn to superstitious mumbo jumbo?

Satanism is a Religion.
A religion spawned from whatever monotheism you choose.

Atheism is NO RELIGION.
NO BULLPUCKY.
HONESTY, FACTS & THOUGHTFUL ETHICS.

Not reflexive, mindless barbarianism as you get with thousand year old monotheism.

Stupidity is its own punishment.

Intelligence makes its own rewards.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   
As a Buddhist, I doubt the average American would ever vote for anyone of my religion, but that is mainly out of not knowing much about it. We're still rather rare in your country. We're the fifth largest religion but I'm not even that interested in how Buddhism would be viewed.

What about Islam and Hindus? Other than Christianity, these are the other two largest religions in the world, and they don't even show up on the poll.

So I am curious Americans, would you vote for either a Muslim or a Hindu?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Nick Clegg, the Liberal Democrat candidate for Prime Minister is an Atheist and near as I can tell it's not even an issue in that election. Perhaps it is but it just hasn't been talked about or questions haven't been much asked. Probably better that way, IMO. It's funny that a country that has an established official church, The Church of England, is more comfortable with an atheist than America would ever be.

I am an agnostic of the teapot variety, which means I come just shy of being an atheist, myself. All other things being equal, I'd probably feel more comfortable with an atheist or an agnostic, than anyone who professed any sort of deeply held religious beliefs.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProjectJimmy
As a Buddhist, I doubt the average American would ever vote for anyone of my religion, but that is mainly out of not knowing much about it. We're still rather rare in your country. We're the fifth largest religion but I'm not even that interested in how Buddhism would be viewed.

What about Islam and Hindus? Other than Christianity, these are the other two largest religions in the world, and they don't even show up on the poll.

So I am curious Americans, would you vote for either a Muslim or a Hindu?

Would the UK vote for Hitler?

But hey, we are getting better

[edit on 3-5-2010 by Janky Red]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
This is pew study from 2008 showing the religious makup of the US Congress, and how that correlates with the percentage of the US population of the specified religions.

Faith on the Hill: The Religious Affiliations of Members of Congress

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by ProjectJimmy

I really don't care what race, religion(or lack thereof), ethnicity, sexuality, gender, or anything. It doesn't matter to me as long as they appear honest, sincere, and they are in line with my political beliefs.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   
atheist is an atheist
an atheist politician is a politician

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheImmaculateD1
Of course. The last thing we need now is someone with a known confirmed at that satanical belief structure in a supposed Christian nation for which the USA shows allegiance to no religion why start there?

That's the stupidest piece of # that I've EVER read on ATS.... and I've been here for years!

Satanism is not in the #n slightest bit like atheism.

Go read a book, go do something to educate yourself other then listen to your own ignorance.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by TheImmaculateD1

That is so incredibly ignorant. Satan is part of the Christian religion.

Atheists are not Christians.

Therefor atheists have nothing to do with Satanism. Only Christians can have anything to do with that. It's their system.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08

Originally posted by TheImmaculateD1

That's the stupidest piece of # that I've EVER read on ATS.... and I've been here for years!

Satanism is not in the #n slightest bit like atheism.

Go read a book, go do something to educate yourself other then listen to your own ignorance.

I have to second that. It's beliefs like these that contribute to the U.S being one of the most ignorant populations on the planet. The above description of Atheism is probably the best facepalm inducer I have ever seen.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by ProjectJimmy

I didn't know Buddhism was a religion. I thought it was a philosophical path to enlightenment?

Not sure I remember any mythologies on Siddhartha Gautama being a god of any kind, or super natural in anyway (other than being the first to attain enlightenment)...

Back on topic:
Americans, by and large, are complete idiots when they get in large groups (though I guess that could be said of all humans). But this just goes to show you that Americans will vote for a rock if it had the right religion, rather than a great atheist 'Philosopher King' type that would actually do some good for this friggin' country. I want off this ride, I'm getting sick....

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Thanks for this thread Misoir. I was thinking about this sort of thing over the weekend. You see, I fancy a future in politics for me, my main problem, I don't claim any religion. More importantly, if I did, in my political career I would never so much as mention it. Why? Because I feel it doesn't matter.

I was about to go on here, but this gave me an idea for another thread, and any further comments will take us off topic here I believe. But thanks for the info and the idea!

Edit: On further thought, I guess it doesn't take us too far off topic, so here's the rest of my post:

When politicians play on voters "Christian-ness", or any other factor that is supposed to "define" voters, I find it as very insulting. (i.e. race card)

Not to mention, it doesn't matter what one person, or one group of people has as an ideology, unless 100% of the population have the same one, we have to compromise. People use religion in politics way to often as an excuse not to compromise. We have to understand, as voters, not to only vote for "your" voice, but to vote for the voice of EVERYBODY. I know, we all feel like we got to look out for number one, but if we spend a little more time looking out for our fellow citizens, life would be easier. But that could just be the dirty hippie in me
Oh well

Supes.

[edit on 5/3/2010 by iamsupermanv2]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by LifeInDeath
It's funny that a country that has an established official church, The Church of England, is more comfortable with an atheist than America would ever be.

It's arguable that having an established church helped to make the country less religious. The "resistance to authority" factor.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join