It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need some opinions on corporations...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Let me start off by explaining my thought process a little bit better. I personally see no difference between government and corporations. When I look at the inner working of them they strike to much of a resemblance to each other. For example....a corporation has many different branches and elects a bureaucrat to run one of those smaller branches. The list goes on and on and if you think about it, they really are the same. On that note I have a thought (law) in my head and all of it looks ok to me but since I am biased, I need all the viewpoints.

This law would be the following....

The only corporations that would be allowed to exist are those that mass manufacture goods. The consumer institutions would not be allowed to exist any longer.

Examples of mass manufacturing corporations....Automotive industries, BBQ Grill manufacturers Food suppliers (only in bulk), Guns, Ammo, all these plus the rest. I am sure you guys get it.

These would be allowed because I believe the human race needs them in order to advance. The mass manufacturing element makes it cheaper on us and provides them with the money to further the technology. For example, Ford makes a car mass produced and sells it to you for 20k. That same car, made by a small business would costs many thousands more, as the small business doesn't have the tools Ford does. There is also the supply and demand element in place that would make the same car much higher.

Examples of consumerist corporations that would be outlawed. Fast food franchises, Retail outlets, Wal Mart, basically all those that just sell goods.

To be honest, these would be shut down because they are killing local jobs all over the country. Small business can't stand a chance because they (big business)have contracts with, and can pull strings with, the mass manufacturers and can get the goods at the price they want. This effectively forces small business to sell at a higher price and provide minimal competition to the big businesses. I personally know many people who would love to shop at small business more but the prices are too high. The smaller businesses also have a closer relationship with their employees and take care of them much better than the giants do.

Be nice please
as I am clearly thinking right now and just need some help in my thought process. I often think things are good ideas and while they may be sometimes, they need stronger revisions. I thank you for your incoming (hopefully) thoughts and opinions. Also I will be happy to answer any of your questions if you need me to.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ventian

Your logic seems flawed to me. The problem I have is you say it is ok for a big corp like Ford to manufacture cars because they can do it more cost effectively. Doesnt that same logic apply to Walmart? They deliver goods to consumers more cost effectively because being large makes them more efficient at distribution and they get better pricing from manufacturers because of their volume.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by SlickOil

The main thing is that these corporations that produce goods, not only provide it cheaper, but mainly advance the technology of the goods they produce. Retail outlets merely sell goods cheaper and provide nothing other than cheap goods and no competition. Hope this clarifies it a little bit.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Being a highly industrialized society we are a society that bases a lot of employment in the service and retail sector. As we progress technologically and economically we find fewer and fewer needs and/or uses for manufacturing in our society.

I think I understand your desire to limit the power of mega-corporations but limiting the ability to incorporate to only manufacturing holds back the possibility of progress for society.

I don't like monopolistic corporations, I don't like the stranglehold they have on the lower and middle class. I'd prefer limits on corporate welfare and furthering the ability of workers to unionize, if they desire.

An example would be the demonization of the SEIU which is the union for service employees; your waitress', janitors, housekeepers, state employees and so on. Without representation of fellow workers these people can be stomped on by employers to further the owners profit. The stratification caused by greedy business owners is as much a threat as that caused by the mega corporations.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Slightly off topic ventian Apolz,
I found this whilst browsing and it reminded me of the way the world is going "corporate" with the politicians behind the curtain pulling the strings so to speak..
Source: NY times

"A New York assemblyman has introduced a bill aimed at making the state the first to presume people want to donate their organs unless they specifically say otherwise. Under current law, people give permission to donate their organs by checking a box on their driver’s licenses or filling out a donor card.."

Is this not money orientated ?
Personally i find it disgusting, You want my organs you pay for them, Because i am almost positive that most organs will go to research for profit only (like blood donation),

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by links234

So, instead of having big unions, the only way to unionize would be to get your co workers together and start one in your facility? No dues and such? Makes sense if that is what you are saying. Unions have become corporations in themselves. Thanks for the replies all.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Examples of consumerist corporations that would be outlawed. Fast food franchises, Retail outlets, Wal Mart, basically all those that just sell goods.

This means buying direct from a manufacturer and if you live too far away from a factory, you have no access to goods.

There are far better ways to simulate growth of small business than outlawing retailers. Big box stores do affect some small businesses, but small businesses still exist in spite of big box stores being around for several decades. Let's not outlaw retailers which ultimately drive prices down and force new methods of competition.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Direct consumerization (manufacture to consumer) is what you are talking? Or are you talking about outlawing only corporations in regards to the retail?

Retail outlets such as Walmart are not just retail, they are also mass distribution and shipping.

Who than will take care of the shipping and distribution?

If you are talking direct manufacture to consumer, what about all the employees in retail?

If you mean sole proprietorships only in retail, how do you expect these components to institute the shipping and distribution?

Some more questions to answer.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ventian

I would humbly suggest reading David Sirota's book, "Hostile Takeover".

Read my location.

IMO: Washington is owned and operated by the major corporations in America.

The reason I say this is because the large corporations fund all the Senators, Congressmen and Presidential campaigns.

They also have the strongest lobbyists.

Money talks period.

Our government officials are beholden to the corporations that funded their campaign and not the common working person.

For the people and by the people (again in my humble opinion) hasn't existed for a long time.

Everything now is run for Profit $$$ at the expense of the people.

Service to Self.

[edit on 3-5-2010 by ofhumandescent]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

If I understand the question right, you are talking about how to get goods from the manufacturer to the small retailer. This would be done via wholesale business. Show you the chain of events on how a good would get from the manufacturer to we the people.

Start at the manufacturer who would ship there goods wholesale to smaller distribution outlets (these places are already all over the map, they are just usually unnoticed because they don't have the catchy signs and commercials). These smaller wholesale outlets would deliver from small retail outlet to small retail outlet.

Retail outlets would be here just not franchised anymore. I believe the whole reason retail corporations are allowed to go on as they do is they are easier to control via government. Thanks for the replies, I am still trying to hammer all this out.

top topics

join