It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Couple Arrested For Asking For Directions

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
My family was trapped in baltimore after an orioles game about 20 years ago. My dad didn't know that the taxis stopped running after 11pm. A police officer stopped us on the street and told us we better get on a bus asap and then proceeded to flag a FULL bus down for us and tell the driver to let us on

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Daddio is right and he's talking about "Legalese" which is with you from the cradle to the grave, once you have been signed up on your birth cert. That subject has been covered here at ATS, and it is a big one. Anyone watching cop chase documentaries however, will notice the total lack of legalese used in the commentaries, "why did he run, it was no big deal, he only ran a stop sign"

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
That is #*snip*

99% of LEOs are good people trying to do their best job, I am sure of that as I know many.

But this *snip*with her Helium Blimp sized ego is the reason why the good cops take so much slack from outraged citizens.
Its *snip* like her who don`t deserve to wear that badge.
I don`t care how much good you do (assuming she ever did), when you do something so wrong it cancels all of that out.

A wise man once said "A drop of sewage does more to a bucket of clean water then a drop of clean water does to a bucket of sewage."

Someone needs to take this drop of sewage out from that bucket of clean water because she`s making them all smell bad.

How can she sleep at night knowing she may have ruined the career of a young woman who did nothing worthy of being arrested for, whose both parents just so happen to be cops?

Mod Note: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 5/3/2010 by JacKatMtn]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I also think she (the officer involved), needs to pay a fine on top of any other department discipline.

If that doesn`t wake her up, let her bag groceries.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I lived in Baltimore for 22 years and i can tell you that this is nothing new. If your white and in the wrong part of town there's a good chance your going to spend the night in central booking. The cops go buy the mentality that if your white and in the drug ridden parts of town your trying to score some drugs, the cops also use the trespassing charge to clean up the streets. Baltimore has a open drug market and you can get any drug you want on most corners. So if your just unlucky and in the wrong place at the wrong time your going to jail. I have known quite a few freinds that had the same thing happen to them.I hope they get a good lawyer and get some money for the city.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by BingeBob

Yeah except for those pesky 4th and 8th amendments...

Jail is supposed to segregate persons that are deemed unfit for society NOT for running a stop sign and especially NOT for telling a cop they dont matter...(1st amendment)

The amendments don't stop anyone from doing anything.

They just tell people, after their rights have been violated, that it was in fact a violation. It makes them feel all warm and fuzzy inside and keeps on with the illusion that our rights are recognized...after they have been violated.

Rinse, wash, repeat.

Mod Note: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Mon May 3 2010 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Ok first, talking about an incident from 2006 tells me SOMEONE had an agenda posting this. Anyway, IF...again IF the incident went down like the couple stated then I am in total agreement that the officer should be suspended without pay or fired. I have no problem with that, but again there is another side of the story...so which one IS true? After reading the officers report it makes ou wonder who REALLY caused the trouble. Either way the incident is over 4 years old....and the news apparently never followed up on the incident....sooooo

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj1975
Ok first, talking about an incident from 2006 tells me SOMEONE had an agenda posting this. Anyway, IF...again IF the incident went down like the couple stated then I am in total agreement that the officer should be suspended without pay or fired. I have no problem with that, but again there is another side of the story...so which one IS true? After reading the officers report it makes ou wonder who REALLY caused the trouble. Either way the incident is over 4 years old....and the news apparently never followed up on the incident....sooooo

Soooo, the cop says aw forget it the cops always right and we don't have a Police State and it's 4 years since this happened.

Sometime you might want to check out all the incidents on YouTube showing cops as they really are. You might be one of the few who would help, but I'm sure if it came to upholding a bad cop under the "blue code" you wouldn't want to "offend" a fellow officer.

I'm sure the Police investigated themselves and found they did nothing wrong in this case. If the couple had any sense they filed a civil case and at least made the Department pay.

Anyhow, cops like this discourage tourism. I won't be going to Baltimore

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Back in the early seventies my brother and I were arrested sitting on the public benches on the front porch of the county courthouse in Lapeer, Michigan around 6:30 at night for trespassing while we waited for a friend to get off work. We spent the weekend in jail.

Never mind that for time out of sight that was a commonly done thing. The courthouse faced the main street and folks had met there, sat there, and otherwised used that space at all hours for as long as anyone could remember. A week after our arrest a sign was put up forbidding any use of the porch after 6 PM, and we were charged with violating that.

We opted for a jury trial. The judge was asked for an excusal by one of the potential jurors, an old, white farmer on the grounds of self-admitted prejudice: he didn't like "our look" and would vote guilty no matter what. The judge told him not to worry about it: he was just the sort they needed on this jury. Despite our defense that it was an ex post facto law, and common practice dictated we had done nothing wrong, we wound up with a hung jury, one lone holdout voted innocent. A year later charges were dropped.

Background: the same three families held the judgeships, the jail, and the police chief positions for four generations.

Further background: My brother and I are Native American. That factored in, but the cops in that county were equal opportunity: they would take people who pissed them off into the reserve (a forested state park) and beat the crap out of them then book them for fighting in some bar's parking lot.

Similar things have happened to me in Florida, Nevada, and California. Arrested, charges dropped or dismissed, lost time, money, freedom, and trust. I've had a couple of cops indicate they'd like an excuse to beat me or shoot me.

Bottom line, with no offense intended for those who do it right: cops can't be trusted to be safe or safely approachable. If the chances are even 1 in 100 you're dealing with a bad cop (or a good one on a bad day), that's far too high a risk to run with your physical, professional, or economic life, with too little to gain from contact. I avoid them, never bother them, am exceedingly polite to them when I have to interact.

But I don't respect them, trust them and don't need or want their help. I've faced down plenty of bad guys in my life, armed with knives, guns, rifles, and fists. I've won most, lost some, and never needed or wanted police "protection".

The only police protection I need is from them.

[edit on 3-5-2010 by apacheman]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
This sort of thing reminds me (trespassing on a public street?!?!) of when I went to college in Baltimore many years ago. The school that I attended had some of their own parking lots but spaces were at a premium and many students ended up parking on the street.

One day I got to class kind of late but still was able to park in one of these tiny lots in front of one of the campus buildings. There was parking mostly around the edges of the circular driveway in front of the building and a few spots on the side. Well, when class was over and I came out darned if I didn't have a ticket. Illegal parking - issued by the city of Baltimore for, yep - parking on the private property of the school (and no this was not a state college but a private college!)! I asked the night guard in that particular building about it and he said that it was school property and anyone with a student parking permit could park there, which I did have the proper permit.

Granted, this was probably a pea-brained meter maid in my case and not a cop, but still shows the level of stupidity that such enforcement personnel can come up with. BTW I never had to pay the ticket, as I wrote to city hall and explained the situation. Hopefully this couple is able to get their situation remedied. Even if they did run a red light you don't throw someone in jail for that, you just ticket them.

[edit on 3-5-2010 by Schrecken Licht]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I feel a little sad at some of the messages on this post. I have a tough time being a security officer and cops have a harder time. It could have happened that the couple was just at the wrong place at the wrong time. Not sure of the whole story though.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by polarwarrior

Remember that kid in high school that thought he was tough, picked on people, but he was really an insecure jackass? No one liked him but he didn't really realize and just went on acting like a complete douche? Sometimes they were on the football team, sometime they were in the band, sometimes they were to cool for anything at all?

Well they make up the vast majority of our police force.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Wasn't it the Baltimore PD that sent riot police in full armor in response to a family tea party protest?

Seems the whole PD is corrupt.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
This is getting to be more the rule than the exception. Are we becoming a police state as Alex Jones claims. They are tasering grandmothers in Texas, harassing tea partiers in Indiana. In Oklahoma they tasered a woman to death and she hadn't done anything. What is our country coming to? Somebody should publish the phone number of the police department on twitter and encourage everybody to phone in protests.

[edit on 3-5-2010 by m khan]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Dbriefed

So much for Massachusetts being the fun loving, happy go-lucky liberal paradise.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by v3_exceed

I am completely SHOCKED at the absolute naivety of some of the people on this forum.

Yup. Me too.
I see it right in this very thread.

In your 30 years you haven't had a negative experience with police?. And your name is Green eyed LEO...hmmm That might be self explanatory...

By the way. Im not a cop. LEO stands for leo, the astrological sign.

Your entitled to your opinion, as I am mine. I stand by my words completely. Again, never had any issues with any cops - ever. I get nothing but respect from cops - always - even when im pulled over.

I still believe that many people cause their own issues with cops. Cops are not always to blame. Yes, some bad ones out there. But there are an awful lot of citizens who bring it on themselves.

[edit on May 3rd 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Buddywhasisname

Originally posted by daddio
reply to post by polarwarrior

What ALL OF YOU must understand is that ALL police officers, other than the sheriff himself, are nothing more than corporate SECURITY GAURDS.

They are HIRED by cities, NOT ELECTED, they do not have to protect and serve the public like you would think. They uphold city ordinances and statutes which DO NOT apply to flesh and blood living souls, they ONLY apply to those who agree to the corporate policy by obtaining a drivers license and such, thus becoming a part of the corporation and you must follow corporate policy or face the consequences. Auto registration/title and License plate tags and so on are your contract agreement with the state that your auto is THEIR property and YOU are paying a "lease fee" to use it, traffic tickets are the fines for improper use of state property. Think this is BS, do your own research into the "law". There are a few threads here about it.

Common Law supercedes ALL other forms of "law" which are merely "color of law", and not applicable to sovereign people.

Reading this makes me to not ever want to drive again. period. Seriously.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
The cop should get punishment by catapult.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join