It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Couple Arrested For Asking For Directions

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Couple Arrested For Asking For Directions

www.wbaltv.com

BALTIMORE --
Baltimore City police arrested a Virginia couple over the weekend after they asked an officer for directions.

WBAL-TV 11 News I-Team reporter David Collins said Joshua Kelly and Llara Brook, of Chantilly, Va., got lost leaving an Orioles game on Saturday. Collins reported a city officer arrested them for trespassing on a public street while they were asking for directions .

"In jail for eight hours -- sleeping on a concrete floor next to a toilet," Kelly said.

"It was a nightmare," Brook said. "I was in there thinking I was just dreaming and waiting to wake up."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I dont want to go painting all police officers with the broad stroke of the brush but it seems more and more are turning from protectors and servents to predators and persucutors. The motto for the police in my home state is "with honor we serve" and there seems to be less of them actually "serving" now days.

Thougts?

www.wbaltv.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by polarwarrior

Polarwarrior.....

Based on the report, that appalling pair of cops should be suspended.

People like them join the police for the wrong reasons & subsequently besmirch the reputations of all the decent members of the police force.

It's a shame that we seem to be hearing about more of this sort of thing.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

+2 more 
link   
Dang. I typically ask Police Officers for directions/help finding things.

Maybe I should think twice about that ?

Kind of scary...

That means my only source of info is gas station clerks ...

link   
The last time I got lost, I pulled over when I saw a patrol car sitting on side of road. I walked over to ask directions and he was very nice and helpful.

Bad egg officers that behave unkindly or unreasonably to people may have a negative effect on tourism and other businesses in the area. I think it would be a wise move for the city to make them realize this.

Many times cops have a thankless job. Perhaps the stress gets to them.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Heaven forbid somebody owns a business and hires employees without your approval, right?

Guess its time to bust out the GPS

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   
this is a 2 sided story and probably both sides have some
truth to them. The officer did ask them to pull over
so she could write them a ticket when they left to ask
another officer for directions. So that was disobeying
an officer's commands. But I think the officer was wrong
for not being professional enough to compensate for
the events.

I think both sides were wrong.
unfortunately, this will probably be
decided in a civil suit.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
The woman police officer in the incident should definitely be fired if all this is true. Another thing that bothers me is, where is the captain during this whole fiasco? It seems high time to get the alphabet agencies in that dept. and clean house.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
And cops wonder why people fear and hate them so much. I hope these cops lose there jobs for good and the city get the crap sued out of it. Many the city loses enough money they will watch who they hire for cops and keep trash like this out. This makes me sick.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   
i concur..then they wonder why people are scared to talk to police no effin wonder.
question...they were arrested for tresspassing on public property? THey are the public and it was public property! It appears thsi moron of a cop was oluck he passed kindergarden*

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
What a joke.

I thought police officers were PUBLIC SERVANTS meant to SERVE and PROTECT.

Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

I agree that those two police officers should be suspended.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
"Collins reported a city officer arrested them for trespassing on a public street while they were asking for directions . "

Trespassing on public street? Is that even a law? Private property/private street is understandable but PUBLIC? Is that even possible?

Or is it now we cant be on our own streets?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   
You all should watch "The Wire" to see how FUBAR things can get in the Baltimore Police Department - much of it is based on real stuff that has happened there. Best television show ever.

On the flip side there are also great cops there, who are probably hanging their heads in shame upon hearing about this story.

That female cop is definitely going to be riding a desk for a while, I think. It's not clear the other cop did anything wrong - he may have just been assuming something else happened before to get his partner so riled up. When in doubt, and with little to no information to go on, he's going to be siding with his fellow cop, no matter what.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by MilzGatezTrespassing on public street? Is that even a law? Private property/private street is understandable but PUBLIC? Is that even possible?

Yeah, I don't know what that means either.

I grew up in Baltimore and I wasn't even sure where "Cherry Hill" was in the city, honestly I never heard of it. Looking at Google Maps, it's just a combination industrial/residential area. Looks kind of 'meh,' but not like the really, really bad parts of that city.

I was thinking maybe it's a really bad drug area and perhaps there's some really extreme curfew laws in effect around there (do such things even exist in America?). Sometimes in those areas the only reason you see otherwise "respectable people" in decent cars driving around late at night is because they are looking to score drugs. Maybe it does go on around there, what with the industrial stuff...it can't be too nice an area. Even so "trespassing on public streets?"

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ventian
The woman police officer in the incident should definitely be fired if all this is true. Another thing that bothers me is, where is the captain during this whole fiasco? It seems high time to get the alphabet agencies in that dept. and clean house.

They ran a stop sign to ask for directions, where they could clearly see the officer, and vice versa... and then told the officer that it "It wasn't a big deal. We'll pay the stop sign violation, but can we have directions?"

Right, FIRE THAT WOMAN!!

Those kids got what they deserved.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   
how does one tress pass on a public street?

second.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
I think both sides were wrong.
unfortunately, this will probably be
decided in a civil suit.

I'm not so sure. If this was a legitimate arrest it should not have ended like this.

Collins said the couple was released from jail without being charged with anything.

Legitimate arrests result from legitimate cause. If there isn't enough evidence or cause to charge someone, the arrest should not take place.

In the past I have held government security clearances, I could not have got these in the first place with an arrest record and in some cases, would have lost clearances if I had been arrested during holding said clearance. If I was arrested for no cause and with no charge, damn right it would end in a civil suit, and rightly so, because it would jeopardize my career and future earnings.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by RestingInPieces

Originally posted by ventian

They ran a stop sign to ask for directions, where they could clearly see the officer, and vice versa... and then told the officer that it "It wasn't a big deal. We'll pay the stop sign violation, but can we have directions?"

Right, FIRE THAT WOMAN!!

Those kids got what they deserved.

8 hours in jail and no charges filed. Yes, I say, fire that woman, if this is true. This is gonna cost the taxpayers of that city much money, I promise you. If she cannot handle herself better then she should be fired. I was raised by a police officer. His motto has always been "Citizen's rights first". This is how the police are supposed to think and most do. This woman (again if true) threw their rights in the trash.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   
How can you trespass on a public street

You know years ago I felt safe going up to a cop to ask a question, haven't felt that way in a log time, wonder why. How are we supposed to trust then when there are idiots like that on the force ?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join