It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The U.S. Media is the 24th Most Free in the World & Dropping

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I found this on digg which I find pretty unbelievable considering how pro-Obama they are. Anyway, it was a good post so here it is: The U.S. Media is the 24th Most Free in the World & Dropping

The U.S. media is the 24th most free in the world – and dropping
April 30, 2010 by William K. Wolfrum
- Freedom of the press has declined for the eighth year in a row, according to Freedom House's annual report. And while the media has focused on the lack of media freedoms in such places as China and Venezuela, they’ve virtually ignored the U.S. position – No. 24 (PDF).

And following in the footsteps of the Bush Administration, the Obama Administration seems intent on making the media less free.

From Crooks & Liars:

In early 2008, the Bush Justice Department subpoenaed New York Times reporter James Risen over his book, State of War: The Secret History of the C.I.A. and the Bush Administration. Now, just two weeks after taking action against an NSA whistle-blower who leaked information about contract corruption to the Baltimore Sun, the Obama DOJ is continue its predecessor’s push to compel Risen to divulge his confidential sources. …

… as the New York Times detailed, despite the Obama administration’s professions of support for a new media-shield law, Attorney General Eric Holder is continuing President Bush’s pursuit of Risen.

For those who believe their freedoms are being taken away, hopefully they’ll soon recognize that a free and competent media is where all freedoms emanate. -

I don't think this is any surprise here. We all know that our freedom to speak and think freely is continually being attacked. I have no doubt that TPTB keep an eye on some of us here simply for visiting this site. I'm also starting to lean more towards the idea that television was created solely for mind manipulation purposes. No proof to back that claim up but the way I see it, television can be used for so many great things (if it were truly free from bias) but all we have ever seen it used as it to further the agenda of those in power. I have always found it absurd how much people give a damn about celebrities or anyone they see on tv. I just don't understand people's fascination with wanting to be featured inside a tube but maybe that's just me? Oh well, I'm going off topic here. What are you guys thoughts on this? Do you guys agree with the 24 spot the US was given or do you believe it's better or worse? I hope this wakes some people up, not just in the US but other Western Industrialized countries. Or maybe this doesn't wake us up enough?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I think this article just goes on to prove what
a lot of us folks here at ATS have said all along.

we are supposed to be the world's leader
for free democracy, yet we rank 24th in free press.
What is wrong with that picture ???
Not as free as we thought !!!!

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Nice thread.

I am not surprised. Noam Chomsky points out that all you need to do is provide the illusion of freedom, and people will be happy.

Which to me sums up America and her media very well.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by conspiracy88

Good post. I don't know how anyone can really quantify a "free" press, but it's become more and more obvious that most news channels are very controlled. The government lawsuits against reporters is certainly something we don't hear much about, either.
I vividly remember some of the war coverage done during the Vietnam era. Though I no longer watch television, war coverage has apparently completely changed since those times.
Those of us who want to know what's really happening must invent all sorts of new ways to get un-sanitized accounts of events. Anyone have any resources they'd like to let us know about?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Nothing new really. The press was bought up by banking interests in the 1920's.

Behind The Big News: Propaganda and the CFR

Google Video Link

[edit on 3-5-2010 by zzombie]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
remember the Disclosure Project that made no noise in the media
quan appeared so was to remind them they were crazy

top topics

join