It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia, U.S. draft initiative to ban nuclear weapons in Middle East

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Russia, U.S. draft initiative to ban nuclear weapons in Middle East

www.haaretz.com...

"05:28 Russia, U.S. draft initiative to ban nuclear weapons in Middle East (News Agencies)"

www.guardian.co.uk...

The proposal – involving the appointment of a special coordinator to conduct exploratory talks with Israel, Iran and the Arab states, followed by a regional conference – will be a central issue at a conference beginning tomorrow in New York aimed at preventing the further spread of nuclear weapons around the world.

[edit on 2-5-2010 by kyle43]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Ok...lets start with Israel.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I think it would be interesting to see how Iran and Israel react to this. I think Iran might give a little satirist remark, claiming how this is what they have wanted all along.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Yes, a complete economic boycott of Israel by the entire world should do it.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Interesting photo on the guardian page.

This is the most interesting part of the article to me though and that leaves the most questions

involving the appointment of a special coordinator to conduct exploratory talks with Israel, Iran and the Arab states

Please, be a human that really wants to better the lives of everyone!

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by kyle43

The US and Russia want to ban Nukes in the ME ?

That's like the two biggest Crackheads , guarding the stash.

It sounds like a good idea to the biggest two crackheads....

But the rest of the world know that each other will NOT stop their

respected affilate countries. (Israel,Iran)

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Sean48

I couldn't agree more about the two biggest bullies on the street telling everyone whats up. You know what I'd love to see in these talks is something along the line of "then America and Russia have to get rid of them too" which is something that very likely could be addressed considering the parties involved.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by kyle43

LOL, so we are just going to leave China, Pakistan, North Korea, India and a host of other third world countries with nukes. Great idea. The world already feels safer just thinking about it.

Oh and I am sure we can trust Iran to stop developing nukes and ballistic missles just because we get rid of ours. Speaking of crackheads.....

[edit on 2-5-2010 by SlickOil]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by SlickOil

I just think when the US and Russia decide to give up the millions of nukes we have there will be a domino effect for the rest of the nuclear world. Yes, it is hard to imagine that the countries of the world really can come together over such a controversial issue. I think there is to many people finally realizing that we don't need WMD's and certainly not nukes and the governments are really feeling the pressure to do something about it.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by solarstorm

lol

that ain't gonna happen

the only way Israel is giving
up it's nukes is to fire them
at somebody. And you can kiss
nuclear inspections good-bye.
That ain't gonna happen. No
matter what US & Russia signs.
It just appears US & Russia are
forcing Israel's hand.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silver Shadow

good luck with that just after 300 US
congressman signed a pledge to Israel.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

Originally posted by solarstorm

the only way Israel is giving
up it's nukes is to fire them
at somebody. And you can kiss
nuclear inspections good-bye.
That ain't gonna happen. No
matter what US & Russia signs.
It just appears US & Russia are
forcing Israel's hand.

quoted for truth.

Israel will never give up their "Samson-Option" unless all US aid to Israel would stop and Iran would sign an agreement to stop developing and both countries allow inspections.

So Iran will keep finding a way to produce nuclear weapons themselves, and I can't blame them for that.

It doesn't justify any international war, if they would be the first and only country in the ME to develop nuclear weapons I would agree though.

If my neighbor got a gun and I wouldn't agree with all his actions and ethics I sure as hell would want a gun for my defense in my home.

It's the same as the whole Pakistan Indian standoff/they just want balance, with or without nukes...

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

Originally posted by Silver Shadow

good luck with that just after 300 US
congressman signed a pledge to Israel.

The world is a very big place, and Congress has very little influence over other Worlds governments.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by solarstorm

As soon as America admits Israel has nuclear weapons it is illegal under both american domestic law and international law to give them military aid...so i don't see how they can have talks with Israel about this without stopping the military aid. If we actually take into account all of Israels human rights violations and UN resolutions it should be illegal right now aswell...bah i guess some countries can cherry pick what laws to follow.

[edit on 3-5-2010 by Solomons]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Cynicism is a good thing, but come on folks, this sounds like good news. Finally Russia may be on board to muzzle their puppy Iran, and by doing this, the US may be able to subdue Israel. This is a promising development, and hopefully, not another bait and switch by the Russians? Personally, for what it is worth, I see Iran and its radicals having a nuclear weapon as doing more harm than good. Now, yes, Israel has nuclear weapons ,and it is a bold hypocrisy for them to tell others they cannot have them.

However, I am still more concerned about Iran acquiring the bomb, because of their tough rhetoric toward Israel. Moreover, they have the opportunity to cut off the oil from the Middle East from the rest of the world as well. They are more of a destabilizing force than Israel as far as I am concerned, because Israel will only use the so called "Samson Option," if cornered in a hopeless situation and attacked from all sides by its neighbors.

In Iran's case, they seem to be hinting at using the nukes as an offensive weapon when they acquire the bomb? Whereas in Israel, I see their weapon as a deterrent and contingency plan. The nukes have been the only thing to keep Israel from being swarmed and devoured by its neighbors. Their neighbors have already tried numerous times in the past. It will be interesting to see if this latest development gains any traction and a diplomatic solution can be reached. Maybe then, and end to the saber rattling and the imminent war can be averted?

top topics

join